Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I have a question as I am a semi-professional :
Why everyone is talking about "global shutter", what is the big deal about that ?

Thanks a lot.
A physical shutter can only go so fast, meaning it is limited in the FPS it can achieve at a given cost. It also imposes limits on the flash sync speed and has a limited life time. And it makes a noise when actuated.

An electronic rolling shutter doesn't have a life time and can allow much faster FPS. But the actual amount of time over which the image is created is greater than with a physical shutter, and different parts of the image are created at different times, causing objects in quick motion to become distorted. It is also silent.

A global shutter combines the best of both worlds. It is a Form of electronic shutter that effectively causes all areas of an image to be recorded at the same point in time. No wear, 0 distortion, super high FPS, silent, great flash sync flexibility.

Here is a great YouTube video that shows very well how a physical shutter operates, and also has a comparison of the distortion between a rolling electronic and global electronic shutter near the end:

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Is it just me or more and more people would like to buy a flagship camera if it's not this huge body? Everyone seems to like the A1 for it's smaller size so Canon could make one camera like this. At least for "marketing" purposes.

Would you be more likely to buy a sportscar if it had a smaller steering wheel?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
The most interesting news from my perspective is "...a Canon-developed, full-frame stacked CMOS sensor with a back-illuminated design..." A BSI sensor would be a real move from Canon to an - at least theoretically - improved low light performance. So they would catch up with Sonikon sensor tech in that respect. I dunno why they hesitated so long, maybe they were waiting for some patents to end (like with IBIS). So I hope BSI will later trickle down to sensors in smaller camera bodies (which I personally prefer).
Canon has been focused on producing dual-pixel autofocus. Trying to incorporate the split lens pixels on a stacked sensor can’t be an easy task. Going quad-pixel is even harder. The benefit is with machine learning, you can rack focus perfectly without the need to do it manually. It allows the camera to track an object and keep it perfectly in focus.

Sony worked in faster throughput while Canon took the AF route. When they catch up, they should have the better technology.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
Canon for sure know the art of market- and product segmentation. Now we will have a R1 (within a year or two when the 1DmkIII sales have peaked) a R3 as "full size - integrated grip" and fully weathersealed photojournalistic workhorses that will settle in the current 1D segment. And then the R5 and R6 that settles probably both in the current 5D segment. (R6 seems to be appealing to current prof. 5D series users).
If that analyses is correct will there then be a R-body for the current 6D segement and then maybe a R-body for the current 7D segement?
That will be the "high end" of the R-series.
But how about current 80D - 90D series and the rebels?
I think I will stay with my quite new 5DmkIV and 6D and simply wait and see how the Canon R-body lineup will be, before I jump from EF to RF mount.
Interesting times in the shrinking but highly competitive and hightec. camera business

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
Canon Japan and Canon UK have mentioned, "high sensitivity" along with high speed. In the Canon world, high sensitivity means better low light and high ISO noise performance and that usually means not very high resolution. Interestingly, Canon UK says "a new era for pro sports photography and film making", I think this also rules out a very high-resolution camera. My feeling is that the resolution will be below that of R5, but higher than R6, probably around 30 MP. If Canon prices it around 5500 USD it will easily outsell a1 and Z9.

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
With how heavy the lenses are, I now use the battery grip because the center of mass is all off and screws with balance of the camera/lens combo. I preferred to not use the battery grip on my 5DIVs, but with the R5 I need that weight. If they made more grip extensions like they did with the R, that didn't have the battery part, I would also be satisfied with that, but that's not an option so battery grip it is.
But I don't think all professionals use 400mm and 600mm lenses

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
But I don't think all professionals use 400mm and 600mm lenses
I never said they did. That's an odd thought to have as a reply to my post, especially, as I understand it, people who use those lenses tend to have monopods or other methods of supporting the lens and body so clearly those would be lenses at the top of the list that I obviously wasn't talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
"Eye Control AF may not be possible, depending upon individual characteristics or shooting conditions, and may not be possible for users wearing bifocal eyeglasses, certain types of sunglasses or mirror sunglasses, or certain hard contact lenses."

Hmm...
No strong need for sunglasses when the viewfinder is electronic.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I wonder how much the speed and dynamic range will improve with this new stacked sensor?

I was really hoping it was a high MP body like 80mp... but given it is all about speed... I would guess a max of 50mp like the A1.. maybe less

Stacked sensor cameras are not the best in DR department.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Stacked sensor cameras are not the best in DR department.

That isn't necessarily true. The A1 has DR up there with the D850/Z7/Z7ii unless they are set to ISO 64. It would be more fair to say that the A9/A9II stacked sensor didn't have the best DR. I haven't read anything that suggests the technology has a DR issue. But even then, if you are shooting 30 FPS subjects the DR may not be as critical as getting the shot and the high speed cameras like the D6 and 1Dx3 have always given up MP or something to get speed.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I don't see similarity here...

A smaller steering wheel wouldn't make a sportscar perform any better and would actually make it much harder for a driver to handle. Similarly, a more petite professional camera won't function any better than a larger camera and will also be harder for a photographer to handle.

Professional cameras are designed for sports, wildlife, and journalism, including in warzones. They should be tough and easy to grip (i.e., large enough), with distinct and tactile controls spaced appropriately.

This is all while leaving out the telephoto lens situation, which I'll let someone else explain, since I'm not a tele guy.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

A smaller steering wheel wouldn't make a sportscar perform any better and would actually make it much harder for a driver to handle. Similarly, a more petite professional camera won't function any better than a larger camera and will also be harder for a photographer to handle.

Professional cameras are designed for sports, wildlife, and journalism, including in warzones. They should be tough and easy to grip (i.e., large enough), with distinct and tactile controls spaced appropriately.

This is all while leaving out the telephoto lens situation, which I'll let someone else explain, since I'm not a tele guy.

For the super tele lenses there are a few reasons, some of them are historical like the bigger battery improving the AF motor speed (on the OG 1DX at least) and only on the super-tele lenses.
Then it is just easier to balance and hand held when you have more weight at your end.
When you rotate the lens on the collar you have your buttons on portrait but with no possible rain gap. They tend to have no compromise on weather sealing to match that big expensive lens, while as Canon put it the R5/R6 have 5-series and 6-series weather sealing.
Other's will be able to chime in with their pro's for the bigger body, these are just mine. Even with smaller bodies, I've aways put the grip on, but with a pre-gripped body you do get a more compact design.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Is it just me, or could you do without a 'Development announcement' and just be satisfied with an announcement a week before the release? That way I'm excited for a week, instead of being teased and wait another eight months for the release announcement. 'Coming soon' that's nice, Christmas is 'coming soon' too.

The development release of the Z9 and R3 are enough to help us plan out savings, if you are buying it, are the D6/1DxIII still better buys just now. Do we buy a Z7ii/R5 in the mean time. I mean perhaps Sony was better, just putting out the A1 and having it in peoples hands, maybe that is why we have development releases?

Upvote 0