Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I guess I am more of a glass half full type.

R5 is crazy amazing. Just killer in everything I have thrown at it.

The R3 is going to be better.

...and the R1 is going to be even better. Wow.
Realistically, I suspect the R3 will compete with the A1. High frame rate, high MP (60?). Unless those in the market are ready for >>>20MP, the R1 is still aimed at them, but ludicrous frame rates and other key features that really help professionals. Maybe global shutter.
This is all good.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Is it just me, or could you do without a 'Development announcement' and just be satisfied with an announcement a week before the release? That way I'm excited for a week, instead of being teased and wait another eight months for the release announcement. 'Coming soon' that's nice, Christmas is 'coming soon' too.
The idea seems do be convincing people not to switch to Sony so fast and instead wait a few more months.

I would really like to know about new cameras very early, as it gives me the chance to make better decisions. For example if the R3 really comes out, I would already like to know a lot about the R1 that will probably arrive a few months later. It is so frustrating to buy a new camera and shortly after the same manufacturer come with a much better one. Especially if you are a hobbyist lke me who wants to use a camera for at least eight years.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
The idea seems do be convincing people not to switch to Sony so fast and instead wait a few more months.

I would really like to know about new cameras very early, as it gives me the chance to make better decisions. For example if the R3 really comes out, I would already like to know a lot about the R1 that will probably arrive a few months later. It is so frustrating to buy a new camera and shortly after the same manufacturer come with a much better one. Especially if you are a hobbyist lke me who wants to use a camera for at least eight years.

It's similar to having a lens roadmap for example. Helps with the purchasing decisions. Yes, it's annoying have to wait month to get the final specs but is it better not knowing anything until the release announcement?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

It's similar to having a lens roadmap for example. Helps with the purchasing decisions. Yes, it's annoying have to wait month to get the final specs but is it better not knowing anything until the release announcement?

Lens roadmap for Nikon Z was a big selling point for me, I can see exactly what is coming up. Canon having a roadmap with a 200-500 f/4.0 on it would have completely stopped me buying anything Nikon as I would have waited for it. Not that I am unhappy or planning on selling what I have. If that lens comes out, it can live on its on R3 and share the CF Express cards I have already purchased.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The most interesting news from my perspective is "...a Canon-developed, full-frame stacked CMOS sensor with a back-illuminated design..." A BSI sensor would be a real move from Canon to an - at least theoretically - improved low light performance.
Judging by Sony’s (and Nikon) move to BSI FF sensors there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of improved performance from what I can see. Crop sensors, yes.

Upvote 0
I forget who said it in the last thread, but they were bang on when they guessed that Canon was trying its best to not "replace" the 1DX immediately.
I think it's more about bringing new technology to the market while not disrupting the conservative 1 series. I believe Canon is being conservative here. I welcome a 3 series camera in between the 1 series and 5 series especially if the video features are a notch above what they offer in 5 series.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
A very interesting release for Canon. I am expecting that by Q3-Q4 2021 that there will be a high frame rate 40-50 MP cameras available to Sony, Canon, and Nikon shooters.

My predictions:

R3: 40-50 MP BSI Stacked sensor, 30 fps electronic, 15 fps shutter, solid buffer, and top-of-the-line DPAF (released around the 2021 Olympics)

R1: 20-30 MP Global Shutter sensor, 40+ fps electronic, 20 fps shutter, unlimited buffer, QPAF (released around the 2022 Olympics)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Good grief, this doesn't answer many of my own questions!

"This camera will usher in a new category to the EOS R system, positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras. "

I forget who said it in the last thread, but they were bang on when they guessed that Canon was trying its best to not "replace" the 1DX immediately.

Considering that this is a stacked sensor dual-pixel design, I definitely think the R1 is still coming further down the line with a global shutter and quad-pixel AF. The only question is if that's next year or the year after.

This is going to make my choices much more difficult. I was sold on replacing my 1DX2 with an R1, but clearly Canon isn't yet ready to call this camera a 1-series camera if they say it's between the R5 and 1DX in their lineup.
Not as if it will be shipping tomorrow. Its a developement announcement. And if you know Canon history, units of it and the flagship will be used in Tokyo. The 1Dx2 was announced in February and in the hands of photographers in Rio. 6 months later. So chill and wait.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Canon Japan and Canon UK have mentioned, "high sensitivity" along with high speed. In the Canon world, high sensitivity means better low light and high ISO noise performance and that usually means not very high resolution. Interestingly, Canon UK says "a new era for pro sports photography and film making", I think this also rules out a very high-resolution camera. My feeling is that the resolution will be below that of R5, but higher than R6, probably around 30 MP. If Canon prices it around 5500 USD it will easily outsell a1 and Z9.
Strangely enough I was thinking this camera does not shoot video, as the images do not appear to show any holes for microphones.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I wonder how much the speed and dynamic range will improve with this new stacked sensor?

I was really hoping it was a high MP body like 80mp... but given it is all about speed... I would guess a max of 50mp like the A1.. maybe less
Will be sufficient resolution to match 1dx3 and use in the Olympic venues

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
My take on the R3 :

If the video specs are better or equivalent to the R5 / Sony FX3 with RAW video accross all resolutions, a nice flat profile, I will buy it.
If for photography, it has at least a 45-50mp+ sensor, with at least 20fps shooting, I will buy it no questions asked.

I have a question as I am a semi-professional :
Why everyone is talking about "global shutter", what is the big deal about that ?

Thanks a lot.
Global shutter reads the entire sensor at once. This essentially removes the need for any mechanical shutter, meaning much higher fps are possible. Also, for video it removed the distortion that can occurs with rolling shutter when shooting fast moving objects or planning.

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
A smaller steering wheel wouldn't make a sportscar perform any better and would actually make it much harder for a driver to handle. Similarly, a more petite professional camera won't function any better than a larger camera and will also be harder for a photographer to handle.

Professional cameras are designed for sports, wildlife, and journalism, including in warzones. They should be tough and easy to grip (i.e., large enough), with distinct and tactile controls spaced appropriately.

This is all while leaving out the telephoto lens situation, which I'll let someone else explain, since I'm not a tele guy.
I didn't talk about tiny cameras. Just saying that there is a market for top-class camera sized something like R5. There are always people who thouht that "professional phones have to have a physical keyboard", "sports car has to have manual transmission", "electronic piano is never gonna be good enough to practise on", "proffesional cameras have to be big". But in the end, the market decides. And if there is a market for high-end but small cameras, then Canon is missing it. Canon needs to realize that a lot of people don't buy what they need. They buy what they want. And with the shrinking market of professionals, they'll need to rely more on those rich enthusiasts who always want to buy the best of the best but don't want to have this monster when their friend has A1.

• Haha
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Gordon Laing, in his video reveal of the R3's announcement, wondered aloud, "I wonder if there's some kind of physical spec limiting all three manufacturers to state 30 fps?"

As it happens, that spec looks like it's the read/write speed of CF Express cards...which are pretty much maxed out by shooting raw 30 FPS at 45 megapixels, depending on the exact file size.

It's such a small sidenote in the video, and I doubt he knows more than we do, but I suddenly really do believe that this camera is 45-ish megapixels. If Canon went for 24 megapixels, why not blow up the FPS even higher as a statement if CF express can handle 60 FPS at 24 megapixels?
CF express B used by Canon is more than 3 times as fast as CF express A used by Sony. Not the same write speed equivalent bus. Of course creating more heat. It has to written to disk. Thats the limiting factor along with readout. Readout is useless if the write bus cant handle the heat or speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Its a 1dx body style with weather sealing equivalent. Why would it show holes for water egress?
Why do you assume the holes would allow for water ingress? Notice the holes on the 1DXMK3, below the “EOS-1D”?
Remember IPhones are submersible to 30’ and have holes for both speakers and microphones.

4E2BB457-F971-4EB9-B728-32658963BADE.jpeg

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Gordon Laing, in his video reveal of the R3's announcement, wondered aloud, "I wonder if there's some kind of physical spec limiting all three manufacturers to state 30 fps?"

As it happens, that spec looks like it's the read/write speed of CF Express cards...which are pretty much maxed out by shooting raw 30 FPS at 45 megapixels, depending on the exact file size.

It's such a small sidenote in the video, and I doubt he knows more than we do, but I suddenly really do believe that this camera is 45-ish megapixels. If Canon went for 24 megapixels, why not blow up the FPS even higher as a statement if CF express can handle 60 FPS at 24 megapixels?
CF express write speeds of CF express A used by Sony are not as fast as CF express B used by Canon. Of course that speed will induce heat.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
indeed!
I would have bet money on canon not being ready to do a stacked CMOS (which by nature of how you stack a sensor, pretty much has to be BSI).
Canon skipped at least 2 steps there.

I was curious on the statement in the press release where it's simply a "canon designed sensor", however Canon UK states "The first EOS to feature an entirely new stacked BSI CMOS sensor designed and manufactured by Canon"

All I can say is .. well freaking done Canon.

And Sony's going .. ah crap, we thought we had them.

Also one thing that no one has mentioned is that with a much faster scan rate, Canon can also deliver much better AF performance. when you consider that you can argue that the R5 is already class-leading in terms of auto focus, and now you're going to make it even faster. Yikes.

One thing about it - is that if Canon can do stacked CMOS sensors, then I'd say it's a very very great possibility that the R1 is going to be global shutter. There's absolutely no reason it wouldn't be.
I can't say I'm a seasoned and tech savvy observer of the digital imaging market, but I suspected something like this would happen. Canon R&D may be a straight line with a positive slope in the lab, but shipping products can take great leaps that do not follow step-wise from the last product cycle. I would not be surprised if the 1R is that global shutter, quad pixel beast everyone dreams on. And it will work out of the box because that seems to be how Canon rolls. Of course, I would be wholly in the dark without the excellent reporting provided by Canon New and Canon Rumors!

Upvote 0