Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

I really hate to make Sony comparisons, because I know Canon doesn't spend much time worrying about the competition, but in an ideal world this would occupy the same market segment as the A9, which is only $4500. With a grip and higher res, I could see this being $5000, if it is truly between the 1D and the R5. It would make sense for me if Canon competed with both the A9 and A1 at a lower price point, and then the R1 blows both of them out of the water for $7000-8000 in a year or two.
According to people who own both who seem impartial the Canon R5 competes very well with the A9.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Canon for sure know the art of market- and product segmentation. Now we will have a R1 (within a year or two when the 1DmkIII sales have peaked) a R3 as "full size - integrated grip" and fully weathersealed photojournalistic workhorses that will settle in the current 1D segment. And then the R5 and R6 that settles probably both in the current 5D segment. (R6 seems to be appealing to current prof. 5D series users).
If that analyses is correct will there then be a R-body for the current 6D segement and then maybe a R-body for the current 7D segement?
That will be the "high end" of the R-series.
But how about current 80D - 90D series and the rebels?
I think I will stay with my quite new 5DmkIV and 6D and simply wait and see how the Canon R-body lineup will be, before I jump from EF to RF mount.
Interesting times in the shrinking but highly competitive and hightec. camera business

The R6 is a pretty straightforward development of the direction the 6D was going.

Other than build quality and durability the 6D Mark II (2017) was every bit the equal of the 5D Mark III (2012) save for dual card slots, 1/4000 instead of 1/8000, a slightly less capable AF system, and 1/180 instead of 1/200 x-Sync. At the same time, the 5D Mark IV (2016) had increased resolution from 22 to 30 MP, then the 6D Mark II (2017) was 26 MP and, like the 5D Mark IV, included an RGB+IR light meter that the 5D III lacked.

The R6 doesn't have quite the build quality of the R5, it has no top LCD to see current settings, a lower resolution EVF and smaller rear LCD screen, and obviously no 8K video.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The idea seems do be convincing people not to switch to Sony so fast and instead wait a few more months.

I would really like to know about new cameras very early, as it gives me the chance to make better decisions. For example if the R3 really comes out, I would already like to know a lot about the R1 that will probably arrive a few months later. It is so frustrating to buy a new camera and shortly after the same manufacturer come with a much better one. Especially if you are a hobbyist lke me who wants to use a camera for at least eight years.

Canon has been doing development announcements longer than Sony has been making ILCs. Maybe even longer than Sony has been making fixed lens still cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

angelisland

Commercial Photographer
Mar 30, 2021
CA and NY
As I said in another comment. There’s a lot of people who buy what they want. Not what they need. And Sony probably understood that better than Canon.
You can see a lot of influencers being excited about the A1. It’s still a small camera but great on paper. They wouldn’t use anything like R3 or 1Dx. And other people tend to buy in brands that their favorite YouTuber uses. That’s why you can hear most young people talking about Sony rather than Canon. Maybe we don’t care about it but if canon doesn’t have enough money for R&D in ten years this may be part of it. But I can see that Canon is getting better with marketing.
I’m guessing maybe Canon is less concerned about the “young people” who are not pros spending 7K on a camera…
I’m also guessing such a person would be fine slumming it with a $4000 20 FPS R5 .
cheers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Wow, the eye tracking AF could be a game changer. I know the old EOS 3 was limited by the preset focus points, but if this behaves more like those Tobii Eye Tracking devices, where it accurately positions the gaze bubble where you are looking then you can pinpoint exactly what you want in focus. The R5 AF is so sticky that sometimes it locks onto something that you don't want in focus and it takes a second and some effort to force it on what you really want. If you can override it with just a glance that's pretty awesome.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
A very interesting release for Canon. I am expecting that by Q3-Q4 2021 that there will be a high frame rate 40-50 MP cameras available to Sony, Canon, and Nikon shooters.

My predictions:

R3: 40-50 MP BSI Stacked sensor, 30 fps electronic, 15 fps shutter, solid buffer, and top-of-the-line DPAF (released around the 2021 Olympics)

R1: 20-30 MP Global Shutter sensor, 40+ fps electronic, 20 fps shutter, unlimited buffer, QPAF (released around the 2022 Olympics)

R1 will be 80-100 MP.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
My guess is R3 could be using a stacked variant of R5's 45MP sensor design.

Yes, we are all guessing and speculating :)

It's not all speculation.

"TOKYO, April 14, 2021—Canon Inc. announced today that the company is currently developing the new EOS R3 full-frame mirrorless camera, which will feature a newly developed 35mm full-frame, back illuminated, stacked CMOS sensor and a DIGIC X image processor."

The R5 sensor is not back illuminated.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
I am guessing this is supposed to be called R1 but they decided to call it R3 when they saw the spec of the sony A1.
Only if you have no idea about how long design & manufacturing works for these products. Also, I'm pretty sure all these companies have a pretty good idea what the others are making. If this isn't even the top of the line model that only means the R1 would kill the A1 & Z9. And then Sony would have to go back to selling life insurance & PlayStations.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
"Combined with the power of its DIGIC X imaging processor, professionals using EOS R3 will achieve next-level, high-speed photography and filmmaking."
Yeah, that’s from the UK website. It’s also interesting that it’s using the current Digic X and not a new processor. I think that might in and of itself speak to a lack of effort in regards to video.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The idea seems do be convincing people not to switch to Sony so fast and instead wait a few more months.

I would really like to know about new cameras very early, as it gives me the chance to make better decisions. For example if the R3 really comes out, I would already like to know a lot about the R1 that will probably arrive a few months later. It is so frustrating to buy a new camera and shortly after the same manufacturer come with a much better one. Especially if you are a hobbyist lke me who wants to use a camera for at least eight years.

I just don't buy the argument that anyone already invested in Canon gear would sooner switch to Sony (to get an a1, I suppose?) than pick up an R5. Feels unlikely.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Judging by Sony’s (and Nikon) move to BSI FF sensors there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of improved performance from what I can see. Crop sensors, yes.
The Fuji GFX100 and 100S have the BSI Digital Medium format sensor....works pretty well there.

I'd have to think if Canon is going this route, they're seeing a benefit.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
It's not all speculation.

The R5 sensor is not back illuminated.

Well, I didn't literately mean two R5-sensors stacked on top of each other or something. And doesn't have to be exactly 45MP either for the matter. I'm not into technical aspects of sensor design, but guessing something inheriting technology were relevant with added stacked and back-illuminated technology.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I didn't talk about tiny cameras. Just saying that there is a market for top-class camera sized something like R5. There are always people who thouht that "professional phones have to have a physical keyboard", "sports car has to have manual transmission", "electronic piano is never gonna be good enough to practise on", "proffesional cameras have to be big". But in the end, the market decides. And if there is a market for high-end but small cameras, then Canon is missing it. Canon needs to realize that a lot of people don't buy what they need. They buy what they want. And with the shrinking market of professionals, they'll need to rely more on those rich enthusiasts who always want to buy the best of the best but don't want to have this monster when their friend has A1.

The a1 doesn't even have a top display. It's not a serious camera. You're absolutely correct to suggest that it's a body for "rich enthusiasts" (who chase specs) rather than professionals who want the best camera possible for their work.

People make the argument that "the market decides" every week on this forum. Yeah, definitely. I hope everyone whose needs are best met by the a1 goes ahead and buys an a1. If they can afford it, that is!

• Haha
Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Where is this idea that a lower-numbered, higher-end, more expensive Canon camera would have worse video specs than an older, cheaper, higher-numbered Canon one coming from? Even the 1DX-series bodies had pretty good video specs compared to the lower-end bodies. The 1DX3 even has oversampled 5K video.

Upvote 0