Canon Announces The PowerShot N

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2011
tomscott said:
People are quick to hate. Remember when the 5DMKIII came out :eek: yet now everyone things its incredible...

Think its quite intriguing! I would give it a go!
Really? I still think the 5D3 has a craptastic sensor, with its decade old DR capabilities.

Not everyone bends over to Canon's marketing machine. Me and most of my friends are still shooting our 5D2s, happily waiting for the 5D4 / 5DX or whatever the next generation will be called.

I guess people who think the 5D3 is a great upgrade from the 5D2, will also like the Powershot N. They will buy anything that Canon throws at them.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Ricku said:
Really? I still think the 5D3 has a craptastic sensor, with its decade old DR capabilities.

Not everyone bends over to Canon's marketing machine. Me and most of my friends are still shooting our 5D2s, happily waiting for the 5D4 / 5DX or whatever the next generation will be called.

I guess people who think the 5D3 is a great upgrade from the 5D2, will also like the Powershot N. They will buy anything that Canon throws at them.

Dude, just get a D600. The grass is really gDReener, the colors are bDRighter and you'll be just DRelighted with the non-craptastic (but possibly oil-spattered) sensor.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Ricku said:

Dude, just get a D600. The grass is really gDReener, the colors are bDRighter and you'll be just DRelighted with the non-craptastic (but possibly oil-spattered) sensor.

You miss his point. He would be just as harsh on Nikon if they pull the same stunt that Canon did. Think for yourself, and not give in to the corporate marketing machine, be it Canon, Nikon, or any other.

Upvote 0
Z

Zlatko

neuroanatomist said:
Ricku said:

Absolutely! Why wait for the 5D4, or whatever Canon "throws" at you next, when you can have the D600 right now!? Just get a D600 ... now. Thankfully, Nikon has no marketing machine whatsoever. They just engineer pure goodness and then sell it at a loss so that photographers can live better lives. They don't spend even a dollar on marketing ... it's all pure word of mouth with one Nikonian spreading the good word to another. Those of us who bend over for Canon's marketing machine must suffer with the craptastic sensor of the 5D3. The decade old DR is just killing our photos, but we don't know any better. Oh woe, if only we had more DRRRRRRRR ..... ;)

Upvote 0
I am contemplating the flash.
Looks like an led flash, which normally dont work well because the led is on for the entire duration or the image. They do not freeze a photo but have the benefit of being useful for video.

Also the drawback of the led flash is maybe a non issue with a lens that is optically stablized.

It's seems like a really good combo.

I wonder if this will be compatible with the new ex rt flashes.

Upvote 0
Zlatko said:
neuroanatomist said:
Ricku said:

Absolutely! Why wait for the 5D4, or whatever Canon "throws" at you next, when you can have the D600 right now!? Just get a D600 ... now. Thankfully, Nikon has no marketing machine whatsoever. They just engineer pure goodness and then sell it at a loss so that photographers can live better lives. They don't spend even a dollar on marketing ... it's all pure word of mouth with one Nikonian spreading the good word to another. Those of us who bend over for Canon's marketing machine must suffer with the craptastic sensor of the 5D3. The decade old DR is just killing our photos, but we don't know any better. Oh woe, if only we had more DRRRRRRRR ..... ;)

He didn't mention Nikon at all, did he? It's funny some just assume if you chide Canon, you must be a Nikon fanboy. From the sounds of it, he and his friends are still Canon users, so am I. So if you're a Canon user, you must never say anything bad about Canon? Is camera brand loyalty a religion now?

Upvote 0
^^^ LOL. You posted the same thought (only much shorter) while I was writing. Great minds...

-------------

Looks interesting, although I'd probably not buy one. Nice to see Canon taking a stab at fending off the threat of camera phones to its point-and-shoot market. Not sure there is a solution as camera phones advance in capability, but it's an interesting effort. Either way, it's a clever design to make it easy to shoot from any angle...perhaps too clever for the average consumer? For the sake of all Canon fans, I hope it performs well in the market.

By the way, to all those upset at Canon for not announcing a new lens or DSLR body: I understand the disappointment, but remember, this is the Consumer Electronics Show, not the Photographer Electronics Show. This is exactly the venue to unveil consumer-oriented (even gimmicky) products.

I don't know Canon's segment-specific revenue figures, but I would expect that the consumer market is the bread and butter that pays for the R&D that makes the pro market possible. If we expect camera phones to significantly harm the point-and-shoot market, wouldn't we all be praising Canon for coming up with creative ideas to address that? Not sure this one will be the answer, but Canon has to try.

Incidentally, I wonder: does Canon provide any camera phone makers with sensors, lens elements, et cetera? I wonder if the solution is to stop trying to beat camera phones as a form factor and simply make better camera components for phone makers than the phone makers can (or source). Anyone wonder the same thing or have thought through with more info?

Upvote 0
Z

Zlatko

neech7 said:
Zlatko said:
neuroanatomist said:
Ricku said:

He didn't mention Nikon at all, did he? It's funny some just assume if you chide Canon, you must be a Nikon fanboy. From the sounds of it, he and his friends are still Canon users, so am I. So if you're a Canon user, you must never say anything bad about Canon? Is camera brand loyalty a religion now?

If you're going to insult all Canon 5D3 users for "bending over to Canon's marketing machine" and for "buying anything that Canon throws at them", then you can expect to get some feedback on that. Just a little.

If you're going to complain about the "craptastic sensor" and "decade old DR" of the 5D3, then you must be in the market for something vastly better. Ever since the advent of DxO, we've been hearing that Nikon provides that. So that is the logical answer: just buy a Nikon already and achieve your sensorial bliss. Their sensors are made in heaven and freshly infused with each day's latest technology. Moreover, they come with a special layer of divine inspiration (and a few oil spots). Those who are entrapped by Canon are cursed to suffer without such goodness. But perhaps you're right and the Nikon inference is all wrong. Perhaps the proper inference is Leica, Mamiya, Hasselblad, Pentax, Leaf, etc. ... surely they have all of the sensor goodness that Canon is missing. If only we Canon users had such DR, then finally our photos might turn out OK. ;)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Zlatko said:
neuroanatomist said:

Gee guys, get with the program! It's not a Canon/Nikon thing anymore..... these new cameras like the Powershot N are just accessories for your iPad :) All Neuro needs now is an adaptor to mount an iPhone onto a 600 lens and the world will be well :)

Also, what does one use for a sarcasm tag..... this and the preceding three posts could really use it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
neech7 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Ricku said:

You miss his point. He would be just as harsh on Nikon if they pull the same stunt that Canon did. Think for yourself, and not give in to the corporate marketing machine, be it Canon, Nikon, or any other.

Which 'stunt' was that?

He slams the 5DIII as an upgrade - in what world is the 5DIII not a decent upgrade to the 5DII? Yes, the 5DIII has DR capabilities (and IQ) equivalent to 5DII, but if it's crap, why are he and his friends still using it? I contend that the thing about the 5DII that didn't need upgrading was the IQ - and Canon did a great job with AF, frame rate, dual slots, sealing, etc., i.e., everything else.

Upvote 0
Z

Zlatko

Famateur said:
By the way, to all those upset at Canon for not announcing a new lens or DSLR body: I understand the disappointment, but remember, this is the Consumer Electronics Show, not the Photographer Electronics Show. This is exactly the venue to unveil consumer-oriented (even gimmicky) products.

I don't understand the "upset" at all. And yet it happens every year. They announce products that are intended for someone else -- that meet someone else's needs very nicely -- and everyone else has to complain. It goes something like this:

"They announced the Powershot N. That's a toy! Where is my 7DII!?"
"They announced a 200-400/4 IS zoom. That's for pro sports and wildlife photographers! Where is my 50/1.4 with IS!?"
"They announced a new printer/copier. Oh crap, it's a printer/copier! Where is my 12-24/2.8L!?"

Why don't people realize that the day they announce the exact thing you wanted is the day when thousands of other people will be awaiting something completely different? Not every announcement is going to fill your personal sweet spot for the thing you need to be new that month.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.