Canon announces the UHD 4K portable zoom lens, the CJ17ex6.2B

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The New Lens Features a 17x Zoom, Built-In 2x Extender, Cleverly Designed Lens Barrel and Coating to Help Reduce Ghosting and Flaring
MELVILLE, NY, April 7, 2021– Designed to provide both stunning HDR imagery as well as beautiful 4K, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, is introducing a new addition to its cost-effective UHDgc series of portable 4K broadcast zoom lenses — the CJ17ex6.2B. This lens supports 4K UHD quality optical performance and provides operators with a compact, lightweight, and highly portable form factor for easy integration into Houses of Worship, ENG, and commercial environments. With the addition of this lens, Canon further expands its lineup of 4K broadcast lenses, now at an industry-leadingi 18 models.

The CJ17ex6.2B features a wide-angle focal length of 6.2 mm and a 17x zoom ratio that brings the telephoto focal length up to 106 mm. The lens is also equipped with a built-in 2x extender that enables users to quickly double the focal...

Continue reading...

Sep 20, 2020
These lenses say PLEF which I assume means that there are PL and EF mount versions.
I do not work in TV but I could not find info about a camera with a 2/3" sensor with an EF mount.
I am also surprised to see the sensor listed as 2/3" instead of 1/1.5".
The standard seems to be to list sensor size by crop for video camera sensors less than 1".

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
These lenses are B4 mount for 2/3” cameras(typically 3x 2/3” CCDs or CMOS chips)(one of the reasons that the cameras are so expensive and look so good, because they have an individual full resolution chip[sensor]each for Red, Green and Blue)( I do work in TV ;) ). The sensor size nomenclature is a throwback to the days before solid-state sensors, when tubes were still used. There is nothing 2/3” about any dimension of the sensor. It’s actually an 11mm diagonal, which isn‘t even 1/2” across.

As far as the model number, it makes sense when you know how their naming convention works(Fujinon is similar, but just with different letters). The easiest part is the number: 17 is zoom ration and 6.2 is the widest focal length (17ex6.2)
C: denoting it’s designed for UHD/4K cameras (H for HD and no prefix for SD)
J: 2/3” cameras (H for 1/2”)(there is no HH for 1/2” HD lens, tho. It’s KH)
17ex: Zoom ration
6.2: Widest focal length
B: B4 mount cameras (B3 used to be another mount, but was never that popular and you never see it today)

There are additional suffixes denoting built-in extenders, servos for zoom, focus, iris; and additional features/functions. There are also other permutations of the prefix lettering system to denote the “pro video”(vs. “broadcast”) line of lenses as well as ENG/handheld/portable vs Studio/Box lenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The sensor size nomenclature is a throwback to the days before solid-state sensors, when tubes were still used. There is nothing 2/3” about any dimension of the sensor. It’s actually an 11mm diagonal, which isn‘t even 1/2” across.
Ah, so the way the name came about is similar to four-thirds where micro four-thirds is the mirrorless mound for a four-thirds sensor.
Good to know.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Ah, so the way the name came about is similar to four-thirds where micro four-thirds is the mirrorless mound for a four-thirds sensor.
Good to know.

Thanks!

I should have really said holdover instead of throwback, as it was probably just continuously used before, during and after the transition from tubes to chips. But that was a little before my time in the industry(mid-ish 90's). By the time I started shooting, then, every camera I laid my hands on was CCD. Until large sensor cameras, with CMOS sensors, started to really come into play.

Upvote 0