Canon Appears To Plan 10% RF Lens Price Hike in Japan

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Hmm, Neuro's comment was a bit harsh, but I get where he's coming from... :oops:

I've noticed people in various posts mix up a products obsolescence with the product being superseded, but these are not the same thing, and there's a huge difference.
  • When a product is obsolete, it's no longer usable, the dictionary definition is "no longer in use or no longer useful". This is a descriptor of functionality.
  • When a product is superseded, that just means that it's been replaced by something newer, and implies nothing about functionality. This term only describes an event in time.
If people listen to the marketing hype from Canon, the usual menagerie of YouTube 'influencers' and all the gear heads out there on forums, they would quite likely be under false impression that they must keep up with the latest gear, that mirrorless cameras do everything better than DSLRs, and that old gear is no good.

Marketing is a devious and manipulative game; create the demand that doesn't exist, and then provide the products to satisfy the artificially created demand.
The only pressure to buy RF gear comes from the self-imposed need to keep up with the latest. That's fine for tech buffs who enjoy owning the latest gear, or for anyone who gains a benefit from upgrading. When the need to have the latest gear just stems from the psychological fear of missing out, that's when the emotional manipulation of marketing does its dirty work.

If a person is upgrading from EF-S of M crop sensor gear to full frame, or just coming into photography as a serious hobby and wanting to start on full frame gear (lucky you), Canon forces them onto the RF platform, as it makes no sense to start off and invest in a superseded platform that won't go anywhere. Even then, they may buy an RF body, and there are plenty of really good EF lenses that can be bought second-hand from people selling off their gear to buy RF equivalents.

Or another way to look at "superseded" is that what you have is no longer the best item out there (at whatever it is, that it does). That could be a big problem in some areas of endeavor (e.g., breaking codes, for which you need the fastest computer out there), which would render it "obsolete" as well as "superseded."

But photography is not like this. It is at least as much about the Indian as it is about the arrow. A good photographer can get something worthwhile out of truly ancient equipment. A bad one will get at best mediocre results out of the latest whiz-bang gear.

Unless you're struggling to get mediocre results out of the best gear, there's no actual need to dump your old gear (unless it's actually broken--which could be an issue even for gear that isn't superseded, yet) for new gear.

I remember a co-worker of mine who, in the early nineties dumped thousands of dollars into the best PC money could buy at the time (rather than buying a machine half as good for one tenth the cost). He was actually furious a couple of months later when something better came out. What the Hell did he expect? But he was chasing "the best gear" for bragging rights, rather than "gear that can do the job well."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have used lots of old gear over the years I agree it still works
I doubt though most use film cameras now do they but they still work right?
My main point was basically mirrorless will be put in the forefront with this maker now and no further DSLR stuff
forthcoming from them. 'Cept existing stocks
Financially If you choose to keep their DSLR camera for just a few years from new its becomes an even faster depreciating item on the used market
Cause people want mirrorless doesn't matter what the DSLR can do.
People wont get a DSLR for the most part they will go to a mirrorless
As for the old EF Lens with adaptor on new mirrorless but camera to lens communication wont be the total same
But you can do it I agree
Have a great day

Upvote 0