Canon box style cinema camera appears in patent again

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It’s been a few years since we first started reporting on the possibility of an affordable “box” style cinema camera from Canon. For a while we were running with the name Canon Cinema EOS C50. We think global events may have scuttled the arrival of some Cinema EOS products, but it’s good to see work

See full article...

clearlyed

R5, R5c, C200, c500 and loads of glass
Apr 20, 2020
incolorstudios.com
This is looking great for all of us wanting to stick with canon and have been waiting. Our cine needs have been basically what they have with the c300 c500 and c700 but with the latest RF mount. This would allow us to use canons new RF glass and tech and adapt easily to PL.

If this is a C70 in a more usable modular body it will be amazing I’m thinking:
- better body design
- 12g sdi (in addition to monitor out)
- timecode
- Rf mount
- ND’s
- maybe have an EXL module
- hopefully a V mount module.
- cfast wxpress type b
- super 35

would live a full frame option too but think they will leave that for the c500 and c700

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
As Doug just stated before, this looks identical to the Red Komodo. Is the Canon/Red partnership starting to become a bit more complex? As it stands, Canon allows Red to use the RF mount and in return Red allows Canon to use a compressed Raw video format on their cameras (Canon Raw LT). This Canon camera patent really does look like a Red/Canon hybrid. All I can say is, it better have an internal ND filter. That's the one thing about Red cameras I cannot stand.

Upvote 0

clearlyed

R5, R5c, C200, c500 and loads of glass
Apr 20, 2020
incolorstudios.com
8K out would require 48g SDI
If you we sending an 8k image yes. Neither the c70 or c300 have 8k sensors so not sure it will have that ability. Eben if they threw in an 8k sensor I think 12f sdi out for 4k recoding would be great. Perfect for so much work.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This is looking great for all of us wanting to stick with canon and have been waiting. Our cine needs have been basically what they have with the c300 c500 and c700 but with the latest RF mount. This would allow us to use canons new RF glass and tech and adapt easily to PL.
Except the run-and-gun, everything at your fingertips, ready to go out of the box aspect all those other cameras had seems to be missing in this one. Maybe that's just how the patent is drawn. Maybe they'll add more functionality once it's released.

Also, I think it's eventually Canon's plan to release or re-release versions of those cameras you listed with the RF mount if that's all your waiting on. At least that's the impression I got with the new C700 rumored to release later this year.

Upvote 0
As Doug just stated before, this looks identical to the Red Komodo. Is the Canon/Red partnership starting to become a bit more complex? As it stands, Canon allows Red to use the RF mount and in return Red allows Canon to use a compressed Raw video format on their cameras (Canon Raw LT). This Canon camera patent really does look like a Red/Canon hybrid. All I can say is, it better have an internal ND filter. That's the one thing about Red cameras I cannot stand.
I'd rather have a run-and-gun version of the Komodo than a stripped-down box style version of the C70/C300III, personally.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
There's a Canon patent for sensors about 3-4 years ago now that should basically be able to do ND electronically (maybe 10 stops), or like 80% more stops of dynamic range (like 19 stops), or global shutter. (Not all at the same time.)

I think the R1 camera will have this novel shutter as it'd be such a game changer: not just another 20% of resolution or another stop of dynamic range or lower noise, but something that radically changes the game.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
I think it is more a C350 or so with dual battery and BNC connectors (SDI?)-
A C50 would be close to the Rollei 2000 cube design in terms of size and price :)

I've been hoping for years Canon would come out with a 'regular' camera in the Rollei 3003 physical format.

Parts bin engineering - all the internals of an R5 (or R3) with the rear screen on the top and the viewfinder on the back (which I personally would never use if the main screen was on the top and I could hold it like a TLR).

Two batteries (I would prefer internal) and you'd have a really nice camera.

Upvote 0