Canon cameras that I’m told are coming in 2021

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'm an APS-C shooter. That's my choice. I shoot mostly with teles and rarely wide angle. Even if you were to convince me that 17MP really was enough for the shooting I do, if I got an R5, I would have to manage raw files that are 2.5x as big as I need, just so I can crop away 60% of the image area. That doesn't make sense to me.

Cogent points all, except that I believe that in crop mode the R5 really does remove the data in camera so you don't have to deal with the extra large files. (If I am wrong I am willing to stand corrected.) You can choose to go into that mode (with a full frame lens) or will be put in it automatically (with an EF-S lens). However I know from personal experience that the automatic switchover does not work with Tamron lenses! You end up with a full frame file with most of an image circle shown, like you were looking through a pipe. (The top and bottom of the vignetted circle are clipped off, of course.)

It's possible that instead of getting an APS-C camera you'll end up being told to use an R5s with the same sort of crop mode, which would at least give you in the neighborhood of 30MP cropped. That, to be sure, would be massively expensive. One would hope whatever it is they end up offering (if they offer anything) gives you at least that much.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Cogent points all, except that I believe that in crop mode the R5 really does remove the data in camera so you don't have to deal with the extra large files. [..]

Corrrect, in crop-mode you get "hardware" crop, so nice and tiny files. Combine that with CRAW and e-shutter to make the 20fps a lot less painful to sort through and store :)

Upvote 0
If they would go any lower than 80MP, then once divided by 4, you would end up <20MP which would also not go over well (as you would have those saying, "I used to be able to shoot 20, why is it less than that").

The problem with the above is those who care about speed are likely shooting in jpeg . Those who care about resolution would shoot full size raw.

Who is the market for that sort of camera? News guy who aren't allowed to manipulate the raw. Sports guys who need quick turn around. Right?

BTW if it has a global shutter why is the flash capped at 1/4000?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
That's great for those that have EF lenses, and it gives support to the usefulness of the idea.
But I don't have any EF lenses, nor do I plan to buy any as my preference is to buy RF ones once they become available. Hence the point of my post for an all-in-one solution with a R mount. If it ever happened (which would surprise me) it'd probably also become available for other popular mounts with flange-to-sensor distances >= 18mm so that it'd also cover the popular Sony FE mount. I'd also expect it is sold under the astro camera name (not Canon), with a mention of the mount versions that are supported (Canon may have licensed it or else the R protocols were reversed engineered).

If that stuff is available in EF mount now, it's only a matter of time before it will be available in RF mount as well. It just won't be made by Canon.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
No, I *don't* get it, to be honest. The difference between 20MP and 17 shouldn't be that big a deal.

But I know that's what you're thinking.

The difference between 20MP and 17MP is not that big a deal, but the difference between 32MP and 17MP is much more significant.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The problem with the above is those who care about speed are likely shooting in jpeg . Those who care about resolution would shoot full size raw.

Who is the market for that sort of camera? News guy who aren't allowed to manipulate the raw. Sports guys who need quick turn around. Right?

BTW if it has a global shutter why is the flash capped at 1/4000?

Why do you assume the camera couldn't output binned 21MP JPEG files?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I don't. I was responding to the comment about people wanting higher resolution.

People shooting for news web or print aren't going to be limited at those lower levels.

Even news guys sometimes do photo illustrations or even (shudder) shots for the advertising department's customers' ads. Everything a PJ does is not hard news with no room for post processing.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I'm an APS-C shooter. That's my choice. I shoot mostly with teles and rarely wide angle. Even if you were to convince me that 17MP really was enough for the shooting I do, if I got an R5, I would have to manage raw files that are 2.5x as big as I need, just so I can crop away 60% of the image area. That doesn't make sense to me.
A drop in resolution is not as bad as it seems on the surface. Having been(and remain) a 7d2 shooter for years who just bought an R6 I am fully aware of what a drop in resolution means. But the reality is I have been able in most cases to regain that loss. Either through improvement of my field craft or the ability to use my 150-600 5.6-6.3sigma when I would have had to have changed to my 70-200 2.8.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Camera to be launched in yr2021:

FY'21: EOS R7, EOS R50, EOS R1, Z 30, Z 70, Z 8, FX3, α1, α6700, α7IV, α7SIV.

Sources from https://weibo.com/
All kidding aside, what’s the EOS R50? Is that the high resolution body? I’ve been seeing that called the R5s, although that may be the American name (rumored, of course).

Also, a6700 was the rumored name back in 2019 for what Sony eventually released as the a6600. Admittedly, my rumor knowledge comes entirely from reading web sites like this one, but I haven’t seen anything recently to indicate that another a6x00 is forthcoming any time soon. (Personally I’d love to see an a6600 successor with at least 28 MP, less rolling shutter, and at least UHS-II write speeds!)

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Well my patience ran out. BH is supposed to have some bodies end of Feb so I put an R5, RF 24-70/2.8, ef/rf adapter, RRS L plate...and a few other goodies on order today. Hopefully it will all show up relatively soon. I’ll be getting the rf 15-35 as soon as it is available.

Probably means my 5d4 will be back up status or sitting in a display case for nostalgic value. I won’t sell it or any of my ef mount glass....could be the last ones.

Upvote 0