Canon cameras that I’m told are coming in 2021

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
And I'm saying all of that is already available. Just not made by Canon. You can already adapt EF lenses to existing dedicated astro cameras with color wheels. You just can't buy the adapter, the camera, nor the color wheel from Canon.
That's great for those that have EF lenses, and it gives support to the usefulness of the idea.
But I don't have any EF lenses, nor do I plan to buy any as my preference is to buy RF ones once they become available. Hence the point of my post for an all-in-one solution with a R mount. If it ever happened (which would surprise me) it'd probably also become available for other popular mounts with flange-to-sensor distances >= 18mm so that it'd also cover the popular Sony FE mount. I'd also expect it is sold under the astro camera name (not Canon), with a mention of the mount versions that are supported (Canon may have licensed it or else the R protocols were reversed engineered).

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It's becoming less an less relevant from an imaging perspective. Most folks these days produce content (both still and videos) in portrait orientation because that's how they hold their phones.

View attachment 195383.
I didn't know that most people take stills and video in portrait mode - it's an illuminating thing to think about.

That'd be more reason for offering quality computer monitors (or dare I say it, TV ones) that can easily be rotated between landscape & portrait modes. I remember Apple having them in the past. I'd probably enjoy it to show my portrait shots at full size.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Unfortunately according to this version of the rumor that may not make it in 2021, which might force me to get the R5. I'm not sure I want to wait another year to get into mirrorless (particularly at higher resolution).
If the R5s isn't coming until 2021, and you don't want the R1 (assuming it comes this year) then I'd highly recommend you get the R5. It's a great camera. While the resolution of the R5s might be 2x that of the R5, I strongly doubt the visible IQ will be 2x that of the R5 and you'll have to deal with even bigger file sizes which may (or may not) be a significant downside.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
If the R5s isn't coming until 2021, and you don't want the R1 (assuming it comes this year) then I'd highly recommend you get the R5. It's a great camera. While the resolution of the R5s might be 2x that of the R5, I strongly doubt the visible IQ will be 2x that of the R5 and you'll have to deal with even bigger file sizes which may (or may not) be a significant downside.

Thanks, yes I have no doubt about the capabilities and improvement in the R5, it is more waiting for my use case. On the higher end I'm purely landscape photography, and my M6II covers my general photography. Pairing of an R5s with my M6II makes a LOT of sense (for me). Particularly as I already have the 5DIV.

On the other hand, I'm certainly not hurt by having an R5 as well, and certainly it offers some serious improvement TODAY, as well as those rarish use cases when I decide I'm going to walk around shooting birds, etc. I'm going to give it till spring (ish) before I decide to pull the trigger or not. Some of that depends on what delivery is looking like at that time however. We will see!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
EOS R1 rumor spec:

~85MP Global Shutter CMOS
~85MP at 20fps, 21MP at 40fps Unlimited Continues Shooting
Full Sensor Large Quad Pixel Auto-focus
FF 8K/60p
1/4000s of flash sync speed
15.5 EV+ Wide Dynamic Range
ISO 160-1638400
5-axis IBIS up to 9 stop
3.5'' 9.33MP 1280nit 10-bit WCG RGB-OLED Touch Screen with 120Hz AE-AF
9.44MP 120Hz SuperSpeed AE-AF EVF
8,500 USD

Source of rumor from weibo: https://weibo.com/p/1005052424567755/home?from=page_100505&mod=TAB&is_all=1

1612664442683.png

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
EOS R1 rumor spec:

~85MP Global Shutter CMOS
~85MP at 20fps, 21MP at 40fps Unlimited Continues Shooting
Full Sensor Large Quad Pixel Auto-focus
FF 8K/60p
1/4000s of flash sync speed
15.5 EV+ Wide Dynamic Range
ISO 160-1638400
5-axis IBIS up to 9 stop
3.5'' 9.33MP 1280nit 10-bit WCG RGB-OLED Touch Screen with 120Hz AE-AF
9.44MP 120Hz SuperSpeed AE-AF EVF
8,500 USD

Source of rumor from weibo: https://weibo.com/p/1005052424567755/home?from=page_100505&mod=TAB&is_all=1

I'll be honest, I'd easily pay $8500 on launch day for this. I'd like to say this is too good to be true, but after the R5's specs who really knows?

I struggle to imagine that global shutter would be: 1, introduced on a 85mp camera, and 2: limited to only 40 fps in 21mp mode. Global shutter patents seem to imply 60fps or even 120fps would be tangible on a global shutter. I'd expect there's not much in terms of bandwidth issues since 120p 4k video is possible.

I will admit, if Canon was able to make a camera shoot both high quality 85mp and 21mp, it would be a holy grail for me. I'd almost always have it at 21mp 40 fps, but the best part of 85mp to me would be that it would work out to a 32mp 1.6x crop mode, which would absolutely kick ass. The 17mp crop mode of the R5 is one of my favorite features, 32mp would be icing on the cake.

There is part of me that seriously wonders if Canon might go in this direction. It would make the R5 definitely feel like a lower end camera, whereas a 30mp R1, even with global shutter, would make the R5 significant for those who need more resolution at fast speed.

On a side note from this, if Canon does have a 85mp global shutter sensor, i think it would be a safe bet that the R7 crop camera would also be a 32 megapixel global shutter sensor. I'm not sure we've all talked much about the R7, but a crop camera with a global shutter would kick major butt.

Upvote 0
The rumour of 85mp with global shutter and 15.5 stops of dynamic range has to be totally bogus. With a global shutter you usually see a loss of 1 EV of dynamic range. 13-14 stops would be a great achievement for global shutter. And why on earth would Canon make the 1 series jump from 20mp to 85mp in single generation? This all makes no sense whatsoever

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
And why on earth would Canon make the 1 series jump from 20mp to 85mp in single generation? This all makes no sense whatsoever

With binning/interpolation you could read as ~21MP image (reading 4 pixels as 1)... getting you back to 'just over' the ~20MP from the previous generation. However you get the bonus of doing full readout at 85MP. If they would go any lower than 80MP, then once divided by 4, you would end up <20MP which would also not go over well (as you would have those saying, "I used to be able to shoot 20, why is it less than that").

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
...If they would go any lower than 80MP, then once divided by 4, you would end up <20MP which would also not go over well (as you would have those saying, "I used to be able to shoot 20, why is it less than that").

Yes, indeed, in exactly the same way that 7D users don't look upon a crop-mode R5 as a suitable replacement because it's only 17MP.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
With binning/interpolation you could read as ~21MP image (reading 4 pixels as 1)... getting you back to 'just over' the ~20MP from the previous generation. However you get the bonus of doing full readout at 85MP.
85 MP with a quad Bayer array makes a lot of sense for the R1 "flagship". You could have the ultra-high resolution when you need it, or the highest sensitivity/lowest noise/highest dynamic range when you need that, single shot HDR, or single shot exposure bracketing (ISO bracketing).

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I know the rumor mill has been murky for 2021, but these rumors really have me thinking that the "R5s" and the "R1" are the same camera. I know it could very well not be the case, but that would be an incredible way to show up the A1.

I'm also sold on the idea Canon would allow for either full sensor 85mp and binned 21mp, just like in video. That makes a lot of sense in a 1 series camera.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
I know the rumor mill has been murky for 2021, but these rumors really have me thinking that the "R5s" and the "R1" are the same camera. I know it could very well not be the case, but that would be an incredible way to show up the A1.

I'm also sold on the idea Canon would allow for either full sensor 85mp and binned 21mp, just like in video. That makes a lot of sense in a 1 series camera.
I had the same thought after seeing the 85mp rumor. Great idea unless that vertical grip is built in. That would change the rules on the landscape side.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
No, I *don't* get it, to be honest. The difference between 20MP and 17 shouldn't be that big a deal.

But I know that's what you're thinking.
What I also think you don't get is that it's not about the difference between 17MP and 20. It's about the difference between 17MP and 24, or 28, or 32, or whatever alternatives are out there *today*, and not just from Canon. The 7D Mark II is a 2014 camera. If Canon comes out with an "R7" RF APS-C body (and that's still a big "if"), and it only has 20MP, I'll be quite frankly disappointed. Do I *need* higher resolution? Maybe, maybe not. But again, that's my choice. The state of the art in 2021 should be more than 20MP. If the (hypothetical) Canon R7 is otherwise identical to the R6 but with a 28MP APS-C sensor (which is less than the 90D), I'll preorder it on day one.

If I want to transition to mirrorless, I will have to either buy new lenses or adapt my current ones no matter what Canon does. That realization has opened my awareness to other systems, and Canon has competition in APS-C. I really like the Sony a6600. It's got a great AF system, and I'm seeing amazing images from it with the Sony 200-600G lens (which costs a lot less than the Canon 100-500L). Sure, the a6600 has its downsides - the core sensor is at least four years old, the card slot is limited to UHS-I speed - but it's a viable option if I want to stay with APS-C and move to mirrorless, if a Canon R7 never materializes or isn't compelling.

Don't get me wrong, the R5 and R6 are incredible cameras! With that single release, Canon went from an also-ran in mirrorless to the clear leader. It's great that you consider your R5 to be "the best stills camera ever made". Use it in good health!

But if you really believe 17MP is is enough for APS-C users, doesn't it follow that 20MP should be fine for full-frame shooters? But obviously you thought the extra pixels in the R5 justified the additional cost over the R6. That was your choice, and nobody but you can say whether it was right or wrong.

I'm an APS-C shooter. That's my choice. I shoot mostly with teles and rarely wide angle. Even if you were to convince me that 17MP really was enough for the shooting I do, if I got an R5, I would have to manage raw files that are 2.5x as big as I need, just so I can crop away 60% of the image area. That doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0