Canon Celebrates its 14th Consecutive Year of No. 1 Marketshare in Global Interchangeable-Lens Digit

Re: Canon Celebrates its 14th Consecutive Year of No. 1 Marketshare in Global Interchangeable-Lens D

jedy said:
Talys said:
Because people like to champion their brands and gloat about how much better their favorite [ camera | smartphone | gaming console | laptop | tablet | television | car | operating system ] is. Obviously, things that sell more MUST be technically and technologically better, and being the consumer of the top brand MUST make the customer smarter. :p
I can understand people sticking with a brand because of investment and the brand ecosystem but acting superior about it is simply childish. I have an admiration for all camera technology but can also easily get bored with the 'gear lust' aspect of it.

It's a Canon jedi mind trick. All us Lukes are supposed to want it.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Re: Canon Celebrates its 14th Consecutive Year of No. 1 Marketshare in Global Interchangeable-Lens D

depending on whether Nikon or Canon manage to sell the very last DSLR, that company will have 100% market share. In the mirrorslapper category. ;D

And yes, it often helps to not just look at % figures (marketshare) but at absolute numbers: units sold, sales revenue. ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010

AvTvM said:
depending on whether Nikon or Canon manage to sell the very last DSLR, that company will have 100% market share. In the mirrorslapper category. ;D

Except the figures given are for interchangeable lens cameras... regardless of whether they are DSLRs or MILCs.

Upvote 0

I'm confused. "In 2003, the dawn of digital SLR cameras, Canon introduced its breakthrough EOS Digital Rebel." What about the Canon DSLR camera that I was using starting in 2000? Wasn't the D30 the first Canon DSLR camera. I shot my first digital wedding in December of 2000 with it!
Such fond memories.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight

Hi MossTech.
I think the difference is the price and therefore market penetration, I suspect the D30 sales were very low in comparison to the Digital Rebel (300D?) the first affordable digital camera.

Cheers, Graham.

MossTech said:
I'm confused. "In 2003, the dawn of digital SLR cameras, Canon introduced its breakthrough EOS Digital Rebel." What about the Canon DSLR camera that I was using starting in 2000? Wasn't the D30 the first Canon DSLR camera. I shot my first digital wedding in December of 2000 with it!
Such fond memories.

Upvote 0