Canon China Teases ‘New Companion’ Coming Feb 24

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The R5 and R6 also have vehicle namesake according to Google results. So I doubt that's actually a factor.
This was just a joke... it's like this "X" sort of name inflation not only for cameras - I am happy that Canon abandoned that with the RF system

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Assuming "companion" is a correct translation, I don't think this would be an R7. At least not if you expect R7 to be the pro-spec mirrorless 7D Mark II replacement. To me, the use of the word "companion" implies something small and personal you can take with you anywhere. If it's even an ILC at all, it might be more of a low-end R-mount Rebel/xxxD, or something to bridge between the M and the R family.

Upvote 0
Oh the consternation if that ever comes! The internet would break. At least the photography corner of it. :)
If there were a 5Dv then it would either be a R5 with OVF (using existing R5 sensor) or basically a pair of OVF (5Dv) and mirrorless Rii (using a new sensor).

The former option would be relatively simple but (like the 1DXiii) give better AF performance in live view mode. Cost is likely to be higher as well (similar to 5Div vs R).
The latter is also possible as a replacement R is due to occur and M6ii/90D is an example of dual model release. Again, the AF performance in live view and cost differential would be significant.

The question for everyone is whether there would be a significant demand for a new 5Dv given the many advantages of mirrorless besides battery life?

Upvote 0
I am guessing we are getting three new products. I'd guess:
1. R7 semi pro camera
2. 800mm lense
3. 1200mm lense

I´m hoping for:
1. Spiritual Eos R successor (imho R8)
2. RF 300-800mm F8 L zoom
3. A big surprise :) make it an RF 14mm F1.8 L and take all my money :)

I´m wishing for:
1. A R6 Mk II with 32MP
2. RF 12mm F2
3. RF 300-800mm F8 L (boy, that patent got me dreamin´)
A 32MP R6II would have me going yo mirrorless if not a price increase. Otherwise, Nikon and Sony a better value for me and landscape.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If there were a 5Dv then it would either be a R5 with OVF (using existing R5 sensor) or basically a pair of OVF (5Dv) and mirrorless Rii (using a new sensor).

The former option would be relatively simple but (like the 1DXiii) give better AF performance in live view mode. Cost is likely to be higher as well (similar to 5Div vs R).
The latter is also possible as a replacement R is due to occur and M6ii/90D is an example of dual model release. Again, the AF performance in live view and cost differential would be significant.

The question for everyone is whether there would be a significant demand for a new 5Dv given the many advantages of mirrorless besides battery life?
A 5DMkv with the R5 sensor and a few improvements (wider AF coverage, better tracking, tilting screen, CFE-B & SD slots) would be really nice.

It might be bought by existing Canon DSLR devotees, perhaps as a second body to a 1DXiii, or as an upgrade from a 90D, but it would too big a leap for most Rebel owners, and the likelihood of Nikon D850 owners moving to a Canon EF model must be close to zero.

I'm just not confident that it would sell in large enough quantities to make it worthwhile to Canon, given that almost everyone will ultimately move to RF.

Upvote 0
I read the Chinese post and found no word about "companion". If companion used in Chinese, it usually means accessories. I don't see Canon make a big deal about launching accessories. Guess the announcement may relate to something RF lineup currently missing. Could be a cloud based storage service, a new software, or anything.

If it is camera, my only guess is R7 APSC because it emphasized on being late in that Chinese post. Considering eosM hasn't had any new product for quite some time, a 32mp APSC sensor RF body does make sense.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
China
I am Chinese.

Let me translate the characters. The characters on the top means “I am coming late but finally come”. The 4 white Chinese characters make up an idiom with original means “a coming late lady walks gracefully without hurry”. The middle characters mean “3 days before Canon new product(s) announcement”. The bottom yellow characters mean “the announcement time: 19:00 February 24, 2022 (China Standard Time)”. The characters below the QR code mean “the live announcement address”.

I think the red ∞ at the bottom background may be a great hint for the Canon EOS R5 C with nearly no time limits for video recording. The camera has not been officially announced in China or in many Asia countries.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
If we expect the R7 to be an APS-C body, I would the the R8 must be one as well.

But maybe you are onto something here. Looking at that 3 in the picture, it does come suspiciously close to an 8. Not to mention the infinity symbol at the bottom, which might also just be an 8 on its side.
Yes when looking at the gold colored part of the 3 in the picture, to me it claerly indicates half of an 8.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
I am Chinese.

Let me translate the characters. The characters on the top means “I am coming late but finally come”. The 4 white Chinese characters make up an idiom with original means “a coming late lady walks gracefully without hurry”. The middle characters mean “3 days before Canon new product(s) announcement”. The bottom yellow characters mean “the announcement time: 19:00 February 24, 2022 (China Standard Time)”. The characters below the QR code mean “the live announcement address”.

I think the red ∞ at the bottom background may be a great hint for the Canon EOS R5 C with nearly no time limits for video recording. The camera has not been officially announced in China or in many Asia countries.
Thank you for destroying my dreams! :cry:

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If it's the R7 I'll sell my M6 Mark II in anticipation. My set up will be:

R6 for gigs/portraits/events
R7 for birds
80D that I leave set up next to my lightbox for products

Let's gooooo!
I'm always interested in new gear, but for at least another year, I plan to just stick to my R5 for wildlife and nature - butterflies, dragonflies, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, botany, fungi, lichens, landscapes and seascapes.

It doesn't do *everything* that I'd like it to do, but it covers most things very well, and any surplus cash that goes on photographic gear will be directed at expanding or upgrading my range of lenses.

My number one priority however, as always, is to travel and discover new places and new subjects for my camera.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
If it's the R7 I'll sell my M6 Mark II in anticipation. My set up will be:
In today's environment of SEVERE shortages of everything, I wouldn't sell until the new item is in hand.

I've seen too many people cry the blues about not being able to get their upgraded product after they sold the old one.

Upvote 0