Canon Cinema EOS C500 Price Drop to $9999 Coming

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>With its replacement expected to be announced at NAB next month, Canon will be dropping the price on the current Cinema EOS C500 to $9999 on Monday, the current price is $15,999.</p>
<p>The replacement to the C500 was talked about at Canon EXPO in the fall and it will likely be an 8K camera aimed directly at ARRI.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Bennymiata said:
Pretty good camera for 10k.

How long will it be until you can watch free to air broadcast 8k movies?
10 years?

I agree with you, this is an amazing piece of equipment for that price.

I do think Canon has to be careful with this slashing of prices like they did with the 1DC and now this. Yes, it is expensive at US$ 9,999 but that's a lot of very high quality video gear which takes lenses many of us already have.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Bennymiata said:
How long will it be until you can watch free to air broadcast 8k movies?

That really doesn't matter. What matter is what cinematographers are going to use. If after shooting and postproduction they reduce resolution for commercial broadcasting, as a camera maker is not something you care about. If people wants 8k for any reason they have, you'll have to make those cameras available.

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
I just don't see Canon putting out an 8k camera. I think it will be an 8k sensor oversampling and outputting 4k 4444, similar to how the C300 II oversamples HD on a 4k sensor....thus making the new camera Tier One 4k/UHD....and putting it on a shelf next to the F65, Weapon and Alexa65. (only 3 cameras currently with this capability). Canon has never been known to run "ahead" of the standards, like RED does. And I don't see any reason for them to do so.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
mkabi said:
Arri has an 8K camera????
Arri has a 6K camera the Alexa 65. The current Alexa tops out at 3.4K on a sensor first released in 2010. Dont expect Arri to show an 8K camera at NAB this year with a motion picture full frame (similar to half frame 35mm). The Alexa strengh is large pixels, 8K would change the camera completely. Andy Quested at the BBC would be pleased but no one else would be.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
bgoyette said:
I just don't see Canon putting out an 8k camera. I think it will be an 8k sensor oversampling and outputting 4k 4444, similar to how the C300 II oversamples HD on a 4k sensor....thus making the new camera Tier One 4k/UHD....and putting it on a shelf next to the F65, Weapon and Alexa65. (only 3 cameras currently with this capability). Canon has never been known to run "ahead" of the standards, like RED does. And I don't see any reason for them to do so.
The DPP just released these tier groups and the 6K Red doesnt make tier 1 but tier two (the 8K weapon will make tier 1 but its not really commercially available yet). Andy Quested is claiming in British Cinematographer about the BBC only accepting tier 1 cameras for UHD except BBC budgets cannot afford the Arri Alexa 65 and the Sony F65 is Super 35 only (great for TV but not so great for cinema). The Alexa SXT / XT make tier 2 as does the Sony F55 the two cameras currently doing the bulk of the work in fact Netflix who stipulate 4K aquisition are not allowing the Alexa but they are the Sony F55 / F65, 6K Red Epic / Weapon so as normal its a cluster.
The BBC / ITV / Sky / C4 who sit on the DPP do not as yet have UHD channels and cannot even manage good quality audio on 1080P (lip-sync errors on live broadcasts are common blamed on TV manufacturers!). UHD TV sets can only really get UHD from the newer 4K bluray player which are only just coming onto the market so 8K is only really viable for oversampling which does assist color space and compression but not really resolution.
Then we get into viewing distance.......

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
jeffa4444 said:
bgoyette said:
....and putting it on a shelf next to the F65, Weapon and Alexa65. (only 3 cameras currently with this capability).
(the 8K weapon will make tier 1 but its not really commercially available yet). .....8K is only really viable for oversampling which does assist color space and compression but not really resolution.

8k weapon has been shipping for about a month now. small quantities, but well...it's a small quantity camera :) And yes that was the camera I was referring too, not the 6k. Quite a spirited discussion going on about various flavors of 4k on CML, the consensus though is that "true 4k" in single sensor designs, only comes from oversampling and its not just color space benefitting...it's color resolution that benefits. Which is why all tier 1 HD cameras have oversampled sensors, as they all must have the equivalent of 1 Red, green and blue photosite per pixel. Again, Canon's history tells us that it won't be providing "future" resolutions in today's cameras. Doing the oversampling and processing in camera make so much more sense than doing it in post...ie. the "RED" way.

Upvote 0
Things I would like to see in the C500 Mark II

Everything that the C300 Mark II has except the following changes/additions:

When I say 4:4:4, I mean 4:4:4 in addition to the existing XF AVC codecs that are 10 bit 4:2:2

DCI 4K at 10 bit 4:4:4 Internal
UHD 4K at 10 bit 4:4:4 Internal
2K at 12 bit 4:4:4 Internal
Full HD at 12 bit 4:4:4 Internal

DCI 4K up to 60 FPS
UHD 4K up to 60 FPS
2K up to 60 FPS
Full HD up to 240 FPS without line binning or line skipping (This is not too much to ask for, if the camera is going to retail at around $20,000 it should at least have this feature or they're ripping customers off)

A new Canon C-LOG profile that will enable the advertised levels of latitude, i.e 15 stops of dynamic range, instead of only churning out around 12-13. I'm not an engineer so I don't know how this works specifically, whether it's a sensor thing or a gamma curve thing, but fix it.

Interchangeable lens mount from EF to PL without having to send the camera back.

Possibly upgrades to the AF module that's already in the C300 Mark II but I doubt that's going to happen. It's already fairly capable to be honest but a little upgrade will always be welcomed.

The C300 Mark II is a fine camera. Barring the fact that the slow motion on the camera is just a nightmare to integrate into my workflow, it seems very much like a polished B or even A camera depending on your budget or whether you're just an enthusiast filming your kids and family events. Also the C500 had a loud fan noise when it's being worked hard, probably that could be improved.

Upvote 0