Canon Compact Camera Recommendations

Peter Bergh

CR Pro
Sep 16, 2020
Hi all, I have a Conon D5 MKIII but looking for something that my wife(and I) can use if I dont want to lug the heavy cameras about. Looking for recommendations for sub $700 and would prefer a viewfinder. TIA
If you want something that will easily fit in a pocket (i.e., considerably smaller than the M series), you may want to consider the Canon G5X or the Canon G7X. These, particularly the G7X, are near your budget, The downside to these two is that they don't have interchangeable lenses.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
If you want something that will easily fit in a pocket (i.e., considerably smaller than the M series), you may want to consider the Canon G5X or the Canon G7X. These, particularly the G7X, are near your budget, The downside to these two is that they don't have interchangeable lenses.
The G5 X Mark II has an electronic viewfinder, which the G7 X Mark III doesn't,

Upvote 0

I'm in the same position, but these two came in 2019, isn't there a new one in the works?
The G5X II seems like an option, but I don't want to buy it if there's a newer one in the pipeline.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I think the OP was wanting a lightweight camera as opposed to the 5 series and associated lenses, not something specifically pocketable. For me, APS beats 1” every time, and if you want a small, lightweight camera system then I agree with the suggestions of M5 or M50. However if you want pocketable in a (small) coat pocket then I’d suggest the G1XIII, which is a very capable, powerful miniature camera. Only if wanting a pants or shirt pocketable camera would I choose 1”. Incidentally the G1XIII is about the same size as the mark 1 G5X.

Upvote 0