Canon continues development of ultra-wide RF zoom lenses with latest patent

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
If you don't mind manual focus and no EXIF: Laowa has extremely wide primes at f/4 and f/5.6 and less extremely wide primes at f/2, all availabe in RF. Their extremely wide f/2 primes are sadly only for crop sensors.
Exactly! That is the issue. I need a prime or high quality lens as good as canon RF that must be very bright, f/2.0 or better, no crop sensor and no over f/2.0.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Can we trust in this news? Previously in this forum we got an news of RFS 15-85mm F 2.8-4. But there no news update of that.
I think Canon just wanna make us fool.
The 'news' is a patent application. You can trust that it was filed because it has been published according to globally-accepted procedures for intellectual property. Canon files >2,500 patent applications per year, only a very small fraction of them actually become products.

Upvote 0
Wide angle zooms are a tricky subject. While the 16-35mm (ish) range is quite common and broadly useful, there's a lot of different niches and trade-offs, especially when you consider size/weight and cost...

The 8-15mm would be VERY interesting if it were rectilinear, though I would expect that to be very difficult to build... It's not listed anywhere near as wide as the fisheye, so maybe it is? The 11-24mm is 132mm long, so maybe this is a true ultra wide lens! I'd be on board. And 8-15mm would be a better trade off / compliment to the 14/15-35mm than the 11-24mm have been to the 16-35mm if they can reduce the size and weight.

wow, would I want that!

The 16-24mm does feel like a weird lens, but I guess I get it? If you could have a very light relatively affordable ($900) lens to compliment the 24-105 f4, maybe it makes sense?

Personally, I'm just now in the process of selling my RF15-35mm f2.8 for the RF 14-35mm, because I will really appreciate the smaller size walking around. And I've started going for my EF 8-15mm over the EF 11-24mm, too for similar reasons... though obviously they're very different beasts.

Upvote 0
I do astro and low light/night street photography.
I am looking for a very bright wide angle/fish eye lens, something like F1,8 or F2.0 maximum (I think that Sony has some like that or at least compatible from third parties...).
I have the Canon R5 with the RF 15-35mm f2,8 which is a very good lens. Something like a bit wider like an RF 10mm f 1,8 would be just perfect:)
I will be doing a astro workshop with Dan Zafra soon and he recommends the Sigma EF20/1.4 DG HSM Art.
https://capturetheatlas.com/best-lenses-milky-way-photography/

Dustin's review says that the coma isn't great even in the centre but it looks to be the brightest option for Canon shooters. I guess that I will see in the results.
https://dustinabbott.net/2016/04/sigma-20mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-art-lens-review/

For EF/RF low light/wide:
- Sigma 20/1.4
- Samyang 14/2.8,
- Laowa 15mm f/2
- Sigma 14-24/2.8
- Irix 15/2.4
- Canon 24/1.4
I notice that the Sigma has really noisy AF although the AF does seem to be relatively quick. Not an issue for astro when using manual focus. Got it second hand so I can sell it and not lose much in the process if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
I will be doing a astro workshop with Dan Zafra soon and he recommends the Sigma EF20/1.4 DG HSM Art.

Dustin's review says that the coma isn't great even in the centre but it looks to be the brightest option for Canon shooters. I guess that I will see in the results.

- Sigma 20/1.4
- Samyang 14/2.8,
- Laowa 15mm f/2
- Sigma 14-24/2.8
- Irix 15/2.4
- Canon 24/1.4
I notice that the Sigma has really noisy AF although the AF does seem to be relatively quick. Not an issue for astro when using manual focus. Got it second hand so I can sell it and not lose much in the process if it doesn't work out.
The Sigma 14mm f1.8 Art lens is also a good candidate for astrophotography. DPR has an article about the lens (link).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl

- Sigma 20/1.4
- Samyang 14/2.8,
- Laowa 15mm f/2
- Sigma 14-24/2.8
- Irix 15/2.4
- Canon 24/1.4
More help: Adorama has an overview of the best apps for astrophotography (link)

Upvote 0
The two lenses annoyingly cost the same so it is tough not to be jealous of the newer f/1.4 that won't work with any of my cameras.
The Sigma 14/1.8 is E mount only (maybe EF in the future??) but the Sigma 20/1.4 is EF so can be adapted for R mount.
Are these the 2 lenses that you are referring to?

Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
The Sigma 14/1.8 is E mount only (maybe EF in the future??) but the Sigma 20/1.4 is EF so can be adapted for R mount.
Are these the 2 lenses that you are referring to?
The Sigma 14mm f1.8 Art (Sigma barcode number: Canon EF Mount 00-85126-45054-0) is avaible in EF mount so can be used on a RF camera. It is the Sigma 14mm f1.4 that is only available in the L mount and Sony E mount.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0