Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM

I waited weeks after it was 'released' on a couple of lists and then several weeks ago I called our local store, George's, and they said they had one in stock for the same price as everyone else so I bought it. I really plan to use it in Montana next month, to catch some of the canyons, falls and ghost towns with it. Shooting at 11mm is much more difficult than I imagined, though. Here is a 13mm look at a section of Sunset Cliffs just after I bought it.

QBSC1001-X3.jpg

Upvote 0

msm

Jun 8, 2013
ERHP said:
I waited weeks after it was 'released' on a couple of lists and then several weeks ago I called our local store, George's, and they said they had one in stock for the same price as everyone else so I bought it. I really plan to use it in Montana next month, to catch some of the canyons, falls and ghost towns with it. Shooting at 11mm is much more difficult than I imagined, though. Here is a 13mm look at a section of Sunset Cliffs just after I bought it.

Beautiful picture, wish we had more sunsets like that here in Norway.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
ERHP said:

Lovely shot ERHP. Nicely done.

Upvote 0
I have been out walking with this lens a couple of times now and my initial conclusion still stands; At 11mm, this is the most challenging focal length I have ever used. Over time I will use it at the entire zoom range, but for now I have locked it on 11mm, since I´m already covered from 15mm and up. If I can´t make any use of the 11-14mm range, I may as well use the much more convenient 16-35.

I have read loads of raving reviews and comments about this lens, but, unless I am lacking a wide angle gene, they´re not willing to admit that they are struggling also. It would be interesting to hear how some of you experience this.

In this picture, the idea was to get a close-up of the anemones, but still get the environment with the river in the background, shot very close to minimum focusing distance.

Attachments

• _B3A1975.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 449
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hey Eldar,

I feel like a clone of you with this lens but I don't have 16-35 so perhaps I'm more thrilled with 11-24 as a package with 11 thrown in for free. I don't fret the "big and heavy" so that's not a factor for me.

Rushed right now, but I am appreciating the opportunity to review your shots (keep them coming) and deciding what I like and don't like and may still comment. Right now it strikes me that 11 shots need to be viewed large, the larger the better. I'm posting a shot that is my wildlife location at home that I like because it conveys the whole pond as I see it, rather than just a portion when I was stuck with 24. If this was a great scene I know I'd be happy to have 11 and not 16 for example. More comments later.

Jack

Attachments

• LookFamiliar_25197.JPG
    LookFamiliar_25197.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 379
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Replaced my 17-40 with the 11-24. Haven't had a chance to use it yet other than some obligatory test shots. Still waiting for the weather to clear - April showers.

Making a list of places I've been where I remember that 17 just wasn't wide enough or stitching was required. Several came to mind immediately. Think I will go through my LR catalog and revisit images at 17mm for more ideas. Not sure 11 will be required, but it might be fun to revisit some of them during my travels this summer.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
I have been out walking with this lens a couple of times now and my initial conclusion still stands; At 11mm, this is the most challenging focal length I have ever used. <snip>

I have read loads of raving reviews and comments about this lens, but, unless I am lacking a wide angle gene, they´re not willing to admit that they are struggling also. It would be interesting to hear how some of you experience this.
<snip>
Eldar, yes, you are absolutely correct and I don't think anyone can reasonably say that 11mm is anything other than very difficult.

It takes a lot of practice and the right subjects to make the most of shooting this wide, and even then, it's not easy. In your flower shots, the only suggestion would be to get the lens much closer, similar to the first shot in the post below. The front element was about 2-4cm away from the flowers in the immediate foreground, even though it seems more like 10cm or so. Take a look at these samples from me, and others, in this thread for the Sigma 12-24, most of them shot at 12mm. It's almost as wide and just as challenging. The samples in the first post demonstrate the two things I talked about before - shooting level but at an angle to add drama or shooting perfectly level on all axes for buildings and such. Also, while you can certainly shoot handheld, your best results will require a tripod. Keep using it, I think you'll really like it once you get the hang of it and get a shot that you're happy with. Hopefully the Sigma 12-24 thread will give you some ideas/inspiration :)

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20725.0

Upvote 0

msm

Jun 8, 2013
mackguyver said:
Eldar said:
I have been out walking with this lens a couple of times now and my initial conclusion still stands; At 11mm, this is the most challenging focal length I have ever used. <snip>

<snip>
Eldar, yes, you are absolutely correct and I don't think anyone can reasonably say that 11mm is anything other than very difficult.

It takes a lot of practice and the right subjects to make the most of shooting this wide, and even then, it's not easy. In your flower shots, the only suggestion would be to get the lens much closer, similar to the first shot in the post below. The front element was about 2-4cm away from the flowers in the immediate foreground, even though it seems more like 10cm or so. Take a look at these samples from me, and others, in this thread for the Sigma 12-24, most of them shot at 12mm. It's almost as wide and just as challenging. The samples in the first post demonstrate the two things I talked about before - shooting level but at an angle to add drama or shooting perfectly level on all axes for buildings and such. Also, while you can certainly shoot handheld, your best results will require a tripod. Keep using it, I think you'll really like it once you get the hang of it and get a shot that you're happy with. Hopefully the Sigma 12-24 thread will give you some ideas/inspiration :)

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20725.0

Agree fully and you got some real nice examples in that sigma thread.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Haida Gwaii is about a week away for me and the south part of the island accessible only by water has archaeological sites with huge ancient totem poles. That's one situation I'm sure that will benefit from 11mm. Any comment and or suggestions relative to how I should approach that challenge? I am careful about keeping important items vertical but what else might help?

Jack

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Eldar said:
I have been out walking with this lens a couple of times now and my initial conclusion still stands; At 11mm, this is the most challenging focal length I have ever used. Over time I will use it at the entire zoom range, but for now I have locked it on 11mm, since I´m already covered from 15mm and up. If I can´t make any use of the 11-14mm range, I may as well use the much more convenient 16-35.

In this picture, the idea was to get a close-up of the anemones, but still get the environment with the river in the background, shot very close to minimum focusing distance.
It's 11-24mm lens. Let's the 11mm views come to you naturally Eldar ;)

Upvote 0

A Storm is Coming
by Boys and Bees, on Flickr

I sold my Nikon 14-24 for the new Canon 11-24mm F/4L and never looking back. I will miss 2.8 for Astro but it's nice to have AF back again at the ultra wide range.I can do better with the composition of this image but I didn't want to distract the little man while he was practicing. I could have gotten much closer because the minimal focus distance on this lens is ridiculous close and it's so wide at 11mm that I can still fit everything in the frame. I bought this lens mostly for landscape and architecture/real estate but it's been also fun shooting it as a walk around. Can't wait until the next low tide!

I don't pixel peep but I am very impressed so far with the Contrast and Color of this lens, it makes the 14-24 that I had mounted seem a little washed out.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Good Luck Eldar!

I am absolutely in love with this lens so far and I still haven't shot anything it was initially intended for (landscape/architecture). I am so impressed with the color, contrast and sharpness. I thought the perspective was the thing that was going to be hook me but it's everything about this lens. I am coming from a Nikon 14-24 2.8 so it's not like I was slumming in the UW FD.

Here is another shot I got with it the other day:

Untitled

I really need to get the Lens Profile for LR5.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
SwnSng said:
Good Luck Eldar!

I am absolutely in love with this lens so far and I still haven't shot anything it was initially intended for (landscape/architecture). I am so impressed with the color, contrast and sharpness. I thought the perspective was the thing that was going to be hook me but it's everything about this lens. I am coming from a Nikon 14-24 2.8 so it's not like I was slumming in the UW FD.

Here is another shot I got with it the other day:

Untitled

I really need to get the Lens Profile for LR5.

Great pics. Colors seem more saturated than normal. Is that your settings / PP?

LR6 has the lens profile, just like the M3 profile. You may have to upgrade like I did.

Upvote 0