Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Dylan777 said:
eml58 said:
Dylan777 said:
Any suggestion on the drop in Circular Polariser?

Hi Dylan, available B&H etc, US$230

Worth the Money, I use a couple of them as I'm often using one in each of the Lenses I'm shooting with.
As far as I know, that's the only drop in polariser availale for the big whites. I have one for my MkI 300.

Thanks eml58,
Is this the one you using? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/763727-REG/Canon_4774B001_52mm_Drop_in_Circular_Polarizing.html

Dylan

Upvote 0
Hi Dylan777, congrats your big white.
Did you check the firmware version on your lens yet ? Mine is version 1.1.1 ( after have sent to Canon center ! ).

For air show, racing car ... use the drop in Circular Polariser or Drop-in filter holder for 52mm screw-in filter is better ? Thanks in advance .

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/186092-REG/Canon_2612A002_Drop_In_Filter_Holder_for.html

and B+W 52mm 0.9 ND:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752852-REG/B_W_1066140_52mm_103_Solid_Neutral.html

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
eml58 said:
Dylan777 said:
Yes...I'm having a lot of fun last couple days.

Hi Dylan, well done, have a look at getting yourself a drop in Circular Polariser for the 300, it's not too expensive and is a huge benefit when shooting bright sunlight & especially green foliage.

I'm surprised, considering just how good this Lens really is, that the Thread for the Lens doesn't have more Posters showing Images from this possibly best ever Lens made by Canon.

Have Fun, look forward to seeing more from your current Lens Passion.

Edward, I'm aware of these filters, in fact I think I had one eons ago with my F1 but that's about it. If one is installed in the 300 is there a need to take it out for general shooting. In browsing this thread I think I saw reference to light loss?? Probably a dumb question but I'm a beginner. ;)

Since buying the 300 2.8 I quickly realized that I needed more reach and so the vast majority of my shots have been 300 X2. One exception was the sapsucker that became accustomed to me allowing this 300 shot. This represents about as good as I ever got, which I think is not quite on par with some other's copies. However, I no longer dwell on that because it detracts from the fun! ;)

Jack

Attachments

• YBSapsucker_4424.JPG
    YBSapsucker_4424.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,116
Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Jack Douglas said:
Edward, I'm aware of these filters, in fact I think I had one eons ago with my F1 but that's about it. If one is installed in the 300 is there a need to take it out for general shooting. In browsing this thread I think I saw reference to light loss?? Probably a dumb question but I'm a beginner. ;)

Jack

No Dumb questions in this Game Jack, we are all learning, until the day we can't.

Yes, there is 1 to 2 stops of light loss depending on where you position the circular polariser, there's a clear Blank in the Big Whites that you Pop out & replace it with the 52mm Circular Polariser, operates no different to any Circular Polariser you would add to the end of a Lens that's less than say 200mm in Focal Length i.e. Lee 105 Circular Polariser etc.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks Edward! I assume that since it's primary use relates to glare that the light loss is not relevant in those bright circumstances.

Jack

In almost any situation where I use a Polariser I generally take a light reading without the filter, add the filter & take another reading, then shoot around +1 to +1.5 stops.

Upvote 0
Jack, great shot of the Sapsucker! It certainly shows what this lens is capable of doing best!

I also agree that the polarizer is a great investment as it allows you to shoot into the day when the light is harsher, and helps a lot with birds around the water. It saps a ton of light, especially if you combine it with the extenders, but it's great to have.

I had hoped to shoot more with mine and post samples, but I've been sidelined with a neck/shoulder/arm injury for the last 5 weeks, and likely won't be shooting again until January :(

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks mackguyver,

If it's any consolation I've been sidelined somewhat due to a chronic pain problem, but mainly due to the WEATHER her in Albeta, around -20 F. Compared with what you've seen of my shots in the summer it's depressing! ;)

Now, a 300 question that's been bugging me for a while. The camera strap is off when I shoot with the 300 but really should be on when I switch to the 24-70, which is not that often. Anyone have a solution to this that doesn't involve threading the strap back on the camera, and works well?

Jack

Upvote 0
Now, a 300 question that's been bugging me for a while. The camera strap is off when I shoot with the 300 but really should be on when I switch to the 24-70, which is not that often. Anyone have a solution to this that doesn't involve threading the strap back on the camera, and works well?

Jack
[/quote]

I use the Black Rapid RS-7 and have two screws for that one. One on the foot on the lens (70-200mm) and one on the camera itself. In Sweden the separate screw is a bit expensive for just being a screw but it´s worth it =) It makes it very easy to change where I attach the strap when changing lenses. I really hate the original strap since I bought the Black Rapid. But maybe the 300mm is too expensive and heavy to be comfortable using together with the Black Rapid RS-7.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks mackguyver,

If it's any consolation I've been sidelined somewhat due to a chronic pain problem, but mainly due to the WEATHER her in Albeta, around -20 F. Compared with what you've seen of my shots in the summer it's depressing! ;)

Jack
Wow, that sounds cold! I guess that's the one thing I can't complain about - the weather here in Florida is amazing - of course that makes it all the more annoying that I can't shoot.

As for the straps, I ended up finding a great system - at least for me - the Peak Design "Leash". I just use it as a regular strap. It's a quick way to change one strap between lenses, bodies, etc., though it was hard to thread through the 300 eyelets. If I need padding, I thread my CPS strap through the "anchors" and use it that way.

https://peakdesignltd.com/store/leash

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks mackguyver,

Jack
Wow, that sounds cold! I guess that's the one thing I can't complain about - the weather here in Florida is amazing - of course that makes it all the more annoying that I can't shoot.

As for the straps, I ended up finding a great system - at least for me - the Peak Design "Leash". I just use it as a regular strap. It's a quick way to change one strap between lenses, bodies, etc., though it was hard to thread through the 300 eyelets. If I need padding, I thread my CPS strap through the "anchors" and use it that way.

https://peakdesignltd.com/store/leash
You can look at this one:
Carry Speed FS-Pro Camera Strap with F1 Mounting Plate (Sling Strap for DSLR and Telephoto Lenses with Ball Head Connector)
It works for both short and long.

Upvote 0

jasonsim

Hobbyist
Dec 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Great photos Dylan! I'm glad you are getting great use out of that new 300mm!

Here is one of mine I took a year ago today with the 300mm II + 2x III on a 7D:

8257674209_3481070ac3_b.jpg

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Many incredible shots. As I said the other day, I am just going through my pics from Bosque del Apache. Here's a hand-held 300 with the 2xiii. I've done no PP other than reducing a JPEG to post here.

I've a question for all of you. I know the focus is not 100% but the background looks weird to me. Do you think the grass behind the birds looks a bit funny? If so, why?

FYI, f8, 1/4000, iso 1600 5diii with 300 f/2.8ii+2xiii

Attachments

• SandCrane2.jpg
    SandCrane2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 873
Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
jasonsim said:
Great photos Dylan! I'm glad you are getting great use out of that new 300mm!

Here is one of mine I took a year ago today with the 300mm II + 2x III on a 7D:

8257674209_3481070ac3_b.jpg

Beautiful shot jasonsim. I do plan to get 1.4 and 2x TC III in near future.

I received my lens last week. I already used this lens twice for the primary purpose of my purchase - photograph my 5yrs performs ballet(where no flash photography is alllowed) and indoor swiming. I feel like I'm already got some of my money back ;)

My next trip is to the mountain this winter. My kids love to play with snow. With 300mm, I now don't have to chase after them ;D

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
JPAZ said:
I've a question for all of you. I know the focus is not 100% but the background looks weird to me. Do you think the grass behind the birds looks a bit funny? If so, why?

FYI, f8, 1/4000, iso 1600 5diii with 300 f/2.8ii+2xiii

I agree, it does, but I've seen this in some of my own Images, I don't think it's anything to be too concerned about, you've likely made the same mistakes as I've made from time to time in this situation.

used a 2x Converter (loss of IQ), bright sunlight & used ISO1600 then had to combine that with a very fast shutter speed to counter act the High ISO & used 1/4000th.

All these small issues combine to give a pixelated area where you would normally have that smooth blurred out Bokeh.

My best shot at an answer, someone like Neuro would perhaps have a much better explanation I would guess, I'm not the most technical of Photographers.

Upvote 0