Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Philippine Duck (Anas luzonica) by alabang, on Flickr

The Philippine Duck (Anas luzonica) is a large dabbling duck of the genus Anas. It is endemic to the Philippines. As few as 5,000 may remain. Overhunting and habitat loss has contributed to its decline.

It has a black crown, nape and eye stripe, with a cinnamon head and neck. Rest of body is greyish brown with a bright green speculum. Its legs are greyish brown, and its bill is blue grey.

It eats shrimp, fish, insects, and vegetation, and it frequents all types of wetlands.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Duck

Upvote 0
Hi again dolina, I've seen your albums before, just curious, in what line of business/profession/racket are you in to be able to afford all these L-lenses and xD bodies you have. You don't have to answer in specifics of course, just wondering. I know some people who can buy all the L lenses Canon makes if they wanted to, but they just don't have the time to shoot with them all, haha.

Upvote 0
Noink Fanb0i said:
Hi again dolina, I've seen your albums before, just curious, in what line of business/profession/racket are you in to be able to afford all these L-lenses and xD bodies you have. You don't have to answer in specifics of course, just wondering. I know some people who can buy all the L lenses Canon makes if they wanted to, but they just don't have the time to shoot with them all, haha.

I am not a working photographer. I am just an amateur photographer that has access to all these places and events.

As I mentioned on another thread some of the bodies and lenses are loaned or lent out to me to try out.

Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea) by alabang, on Flickr

The Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea) is a wading bird in the heron family Ardeidae, breeding in Africa, central and southern Europe, and southern and eastern Asia. The European populations are migratory, wintering in tropical Africa; the more northerly Asian populations also migrate further south within Asia. It is a rare but regular wanderer north of its breeding range.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Heron

Upvote 0

Anas luzonica is endemic to the Philippines, being recorded from all the major islands and eight smaller islands. Records since 1980 derive from c.30 localities, most on Luzon and Mindanao. Records from Siquijor and the Sulus remain unsubstantiated. A steep population decline was evident by the mid-1970s, with high numbers recorded at only a few sites in the following decade, e.g. Candaba Marsh (Luzon) which probably supported many thousands in the early 1980s. Subsequent local extinctions and near-disappearances have occurred in several significant sites, including Candaba Marsh and Buguey wetlands (where several thousand were recorded in 1983). Important current areas include Polillo Island (240 seen and an estimated 3,000 present in 1996), Subic Bay (600 seen in 1997), Magat dam (2,000 were seen in 2001) and Malasi lakes (1,320 were recorded in 2002), Luzon. Other recent records come from Mangatarem, Pangasinan (east of Zambales Mountains IBA) where 70 individuals were counted on the Barabac River inside the Manleluag Spring National Park, Cantilan mangroves in Surigao del Sur and from a mangrove fishpond in Bicol Region, Southern Luzon1. In 1993, its population was estimated at 10,000-100,000, but by 2002 fewer than 10,000 birds were thought to remain.

Source: http://83.138.144.95/datazone/speciesfactsheet.php?id=439

Upvote 0

Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) by alabang, on Flickr

The Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea), is a wading bird of the heron family Ardeidae, native throughout temperate Europe and Asia and also parts of Africa. It is resident in the milder south and west, but many birds retreat in winter from the ice in colder regions. It has become common in summer even inside the Arctic circle along the Norwegian coast.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Heron

Upvote 0
dolina said:

Anas luzonica is endemic to the Philippines, being recorded from all the major islands and eight smaller islands. Records since 1980 derive from c.30 localities, most on Luzon and Mindanao. Records from Siquijor and the Sulus remain unsubstantiated. A steep population decline was evident by the mid-1970s, with high numbers recorded at only a few sites in the following decade, e.g. Candaba Marsh (Luzon) which probably supported many thousands in the early 1980s. Subsequent local extinctions and near-disappearances have occurred in several significant sites, including Candaba Marsh and Buguey wetlands (where several thousand were recorded in 1983). Important current areas include Polillo Island (240 seen and an estimated 3,000 present in 1996), Subic Bay (600 seen in 1997), Magat dam (2,000 were seen in 2001) and Malasi lakes (1,320 were recorded in 2002), Luzon. Other recent records come from Mangatarem, Pangasinan (east of Zambales Mountains IBA) where 70 individuals were counted on the Barabac River inside the Manleluag Spring National Park, Cantilan mangroves in Surigao del Sur and from a mangrove fishpond in Bicol Region, Southern Luzon1. In 1993, its population was estimated at 10,000-100,000, but by 2002 fewer than 10,000 birds were thought to remain.

Source: http://83.138.144.95/datazone/speciesfactsheet.php?id=439
Incredible shot. Very dramatic 3/4 angle, and super sharp. The 2nd OOF duck really shows the tight depth of field and the sharp focus too. Nice!

Upvote 0