Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L going away?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But it has disappeared from stores and Canon website at times. That starts the rumors.

Sales is the key to finally retire a lens. Sales of both cameras and lenses has been dropping, so some will go away. Canon is going to shrink, they continue to reduce staff, so it is plausible that slow selling lenses and bodies will be discontinued. There are a few in that category that are good lenses but are dated and unpopular now.

I hate to see them go, they are a way for someone to get a excellent lens at a reasonable price.
Sadly, I just checked Adorama's website again this morning. Apparently they got a few in, but are now listed as "Closeout".

Upvote 0

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
Colorado
I love my 100-400 Mk II, but for raptors in flight I still prefer my 400mm f/5.6. I wish the zoom had a second 10m MFD so it wouldn't lose focus in the sky so often. I tried a 1.4X III on my 5DsR with the 400mm, but CA wasn't good, so I just crop as necessary. I don't know that IS is very useful when an eagle or hawk is on the move around my home. For perched raptors I would prefer IS, or the the zoom, no question. Here is an Alaskan Eagle with the 400mm on a 6D.0173-Eagle-Nest-c1s.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0