Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM officially discontinued

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I meant to post about the discontinuation of the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM a while back, but I forgot to.
This is the second EF lens that has been officially discontinued in the last couple of weeks, the other being the EF 200mm f/2L IS USM.
I suspect that we’re going to see a bunch of EF lenses sent to pasture over the next 12 months.
I have not heard anything about a new pancake lens for the RF mount, but it would make sense that one is coming eventually for the RF mount.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I use the two pancakes with my 200D as small and light travel kit.
I really love the size and IQ of EF40 STM for its price.
But I suppose that Canon didn't earn as much money as they wanted, as the initial price was to high for most people and had to be lowered.

I hope, there will be RF pancakes, too. RP + native pancakes would be a great compact combo.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Given how early they’re discontinuing it, I imagine it probably wasn’t a big seller.
Not quite sure about that. I figured that Canon has decided to cancel several lense and stopped production all at the same time. This probably happened last year when they had great difficulties with their supply chain. The official cancelation in my opinion is made public when they run out of stock of a particular lense. This could be due to low production numbers or a bigger demand. We´ll probably never hear about the exact reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Ironically the very first lens I used on my R5!

(It was the widest full frame lens I owned at that instant, though I bought the 15-35 shortly afterwards.)

[Edited to add: I believe I even posted some of those pictures in the R5 images thread. Nothing to write home about though--the pictures I took zoomed in on a rock climber (taken a few minutes later) were more popular.]

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I have used this lens for thousands of shots, many are some very special images. I think it's due to the portability and travel choice attached to the lens and having it with me more than other selections more so than the optics however it's no slouch. It's my favorite semi wide perspective (I really do not like 50's) and it's a shame Canon only made one FF pancake. I always thought a 28/40/60-ish would be a great trio.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ildyria

R5 Lover
CR Pro
Mar 5, 2020
the odds of a new 5D Mark V being introduced continues to decline.
The odds are not going to continues to decline... as their are rock bottom 0.

No offence, but at this point I don't think we will see any new DSLR from Canon. I do expect a full shift to mirrorless.
Thinking about the existence of a 5D mk V is like thinking that there will be a 1Dx mk IV in 4 years.

Also this was posted a while ago as CR2: https://www.canonrumors.com/there-will-not-be-an-eos-5d-mark-v-cr2/
[CR2] – Good information from a known source
Which pretty much means certainty.

Also in their Intro to R5 video, Canon clearly designated the R5 as the successor of the 5D.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The odds are not going to continues to decline... as their are rock bottom 0.

No offence, but at this point I don't think we will see any new DSLR from Canon. I do expect a full shift to mirrorless.
Thinking about the existence of a 5D mk V is like thinking that there will be a 1Dx mk IV in 4 years.

Also this was posted a while ago as CR2: https://www.canonrumors.com/there-will-not-be-an-eos-5d-mark-v-cr2/
[CR2] – Good information from a known source
Which pretty much means certainty.

Also in their Intro to R5 video, Canon clearly designated the R5 as the successor of the 5D.
Yeah that's been discussed into oblivion. The real question is when is Canon going to make RF pancakes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
I used the 40mm for a while and it was a decent little lens, hopelessly slow indoors but handy as a lenscap-landscape-lens.

But how did it ever get funding to proceed instead of overhauling the abysmal non-L 50mm lenses? Canon's lens priorities were and are bizarre.

I won't be surprised if the ancient 50mm 1.4 junk is the last EF lens on sale in five years time.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0