Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

Jan 29, 2011
talicoa said:
I'll make a couple of guesses based on my experience with these lenses.
The little girl looking up is with the 50 1.2L, as is the woman looking up the roof, I think the Little Figurine, and maybe the rose too. The horse nose and the girl coming up the escalator look like the 1.4 version.

If I cut you some slack you got one right.

surapon said:
Dear Teachers and Friends.
After read this Great Post, Make me sick with G.A.S. Illness again, But I must ask your opinion/ Great Opinion first :
I already have Sigma 50 mm F/ 1.4 MK I, Canon EF 85 mm F/ 1.2 L MK II And EF 40 MM. Pancake + So many Lenses start from 8 MM Fish eye to 600 mm. ------Do you think Smart IDEA to Spend another $ 1500 US Dollars for EF 50 mm F/ 1.2 L ??? and What For ??---Or Just Save Money to buy EF 1200 MM. L. ( 1800 MM. If Canon Make it) before I die.

Yes, For $ 1500 US Dollars, I can buy many Good Sigma Lenses.
Thank you, Sir/ Madam
Have a great weekend
Surapon

Surapon, if you can't tell me which of the images I showed was shot with the Canon 50mm f1.2 then I would suggest another workshop or another vacation, both of which I know you do, would be a better way to spend your photo budget. It is not about using a specific lens, it is about taking pictures in a specific way.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
privatebydesign said:
talicoa said:
The little girl looking up is with the 50 1.2L, as is the woman looking up the roof, I think the Little Figurine, and maybe the rose too. The horse nose and the girl coming up the escalator look like the 1.4 version.

surapon said:
After read this Great Post, Make me sick with G.A.S. Illness again, But I must ask your opinion/ Great Opinion first :
I already have Sigma 50 mm F/ 1.4 MK I, Canon EF 85 mm F/ 1.2 L MK II And EF 40 MM. Pancake + So many Lenses start from 8 MM Fish eye to 600 mm. ------Do you think Smart IDEA to Spend another $ 1500 US Dollars for EF 50 mm F/ 1.2 L ??? and What For ??---Or Just Save Money to buy EF 1200 MM. L. ( 1800 MM. If Canon Make it) before I die.

Thank you, Sir/ Madam
Have a great weekend
Surapon

Surapon, if you can't tell me which of the images I showed was shot with the Canon 50mm f1.2 then I would suggest another workshop or another vacation, both of which I know you do, would be a better way to spend your photo budget. It is not about using a specific lens, it is about taking pictures in a specific way.

Yes, Sir, You are right on the target, Dear friend Mr. privatebydesign.
I need to train my eyes more to catch the Difference detail of Photos by 50 mm F/ 1.2 and 85 mm F/ 1.2.
Yes, Plus another Vacation too.
BTW, This Winter, I already pay the money for two 36 hours per course of " The Studio Lighting for the PRO" and " The way that The PRO create the great Scenery Picture"

Yes , I love your great words. my dear Teacher " It is not about using a specific lens, it is about taking pictures in a specific way "= Yes, Save money, But use Our brain and our heart , to create the perfected photos.
Thanks again, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
talicoa said:

surapon said:

Thank you, Sir/ Madam
Have a great weekend
Surapon

I will take whatever slack I can get.

I think the 50 1.2L takes some great photos, better than my canon 50mm 1.4 below f2.8. Am I wrong? If you are saying that it isn't worth the extra money for other people, that is a difficult argument. Who knows the value that people place on their money. Only them. I think that out of the camera, these lenses look different, and therefore have different value. Do you disagree?

Upvote 0
I owned and shot with the 50L extensively for over a year.

It is a specialty lens specifically designed to be used primarily from f/1.2 to f/2.8. Narrower than f/2.8 there are better 50mm lenses, namely the 50 f/1.4. I didn't shoot wider than f/2.8 enough so I sold it and kept the 50 f/1.4. TO ME, it wasn't worth the $1699 vs. $399 price difference.

If you love f/1.2 to f/2.2ish and you love the 50mm focal length, then I'd say it would be worth it. If not, no way.

Upvote 0

Sauropod

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2012
I'll take a stab at it!

Of the 1st 12 images, starting from the bottom left (the masked guy), the bottom row is not 50mm 1.2. They don't scream "1.2" to me.
The next row, above, I'll say the tunnel woman is not, the horse nose is most certainly not, the purple shirted kid is.
The wheat field is not. The kid on the far right (with chin cut off) is not.
On the top row the umbrella girl *is* 50mm 1.2. The ants are not. The kid is not. The rose is (I'm not convinced 100%).

To recap I am saying the umbrella, the rose and the purple shirted kid are all 50mm 1.2 I was torn on the wheatfield I'll admit and not sold on the rose. However, when I viewed these images they are low res jpgs and rapidly pixellate on my monitor. The argument is "I should know immediately, it should be evident, if they are 1.2L" but my vision isn't the greatest and I use a 30" high end monitor and have to zoom in to see much of anything nowadays (sadly pixel peeping isn't intentional when one's eyes go bad, it is just a fact of life :)). The low res of the images certainly isn't doing these eyes any favors but I do love the challenge!

After reading the entire thread, as a scientist, I'd predict I could tell the difference if the images were identical, as others have indicated. The (antag?)onist of the thread argues mixing images and lenses shouldn't matter, for if it has magical qualities they should be self-evident. I understand that logic but, with these samples, the low res jpg files prevented me from confidently (other than the umbrella girl and, in disagreement with a previous poster, the dog on the second set of 12) declaring 1.2 vs "other" in some cases.

As others before have argued the various 50mm lenses are different brushes that provide different results. I know my wife consistently picked the 200/2.0 images over my beloved 70-200 2.8 images. Is she 100% right on picking them out? Nope, but she picked enough out that, get this, she asked me to buy that awesome 200/2.0 lens!

I've owned the 1.2 and I own the 50 1.4. Is the 1.2 magical? For me it wasn't magical enough to keep (there were Great Whites to be purchased! :)). Unlike the 200 2.0 and, to a lesser extent, the 85L, I personally wasn't able to consistently tell which 50mm lens generated an image and, more importantly, neither could the Big Boss (aka my spouse). I believe just about any lens can produce some amazing images but, ultimately, each lens is, as a previous poster mentioned, but a brush, a tool, that can do things other brushes can't.

I have enjoyed this thread, and the 24 image challenge. I ask that, at some point, we get to know which are the 1.2 images!

I love this forum. I learn so while mostly lurking, and the passion exuded by all parties is very cool and most appreciated.

Click on!

Upvote 0
I mentioned this in the other thread with this diverting lens identification activity, but will mention it here as well.

I had a "perfect" score in identifiying photos where the 1.2 was used. Of course, I jest a bit, as I picked only one image and got lucky. I could just as easily have been wrong, but I wasn't :p

Hmm, "Mr. 100%" is sounding like a more attractive name than "notapro" about now . . . ;D

Upvote 0
just got mine in the mail yesterday and tried it out on the way home from work. there was a small town car show going on. my initial impression is that its a pretty damn good lens. it has got a bit of a hazy highlight glow wide open but that is what i got it for. you can see it on the blower photo. i guess that is from the spherical aberration. it goes away when you stop down.

the best part is that without any afma or dock calibration it just focuses on what you point it at.

so far i am very pleased with the lens. there are a lot of good 50's to choose from now but don't overlook this one if you are in the market.

the following photos are all wide open no adjustments converted in dpp half size to fit here. the light was bad today but i think they look pretty good anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_8009.JPG
    IMG_8009.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 597
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
notapro said:
I mentioned this in the other thread with this diverting lens identification activity, but will mention it here as well.

I had a "perfect" score in identifiying photos where the 1.2 was used. Of course, I jest a bit, as I picked only one image and got lucky. I could just as easily have been wrong, but I wasn't :p

Hmm, "Mr. 100%" is sounding like a more attractive name than "notapro" about now . . . ;D

Hmm, "Lies, damn lies, and statistics." We can all make the numbers say what we want, my take is you got one right out of 24, so 4.16%, but what do I know?

candc's new example images illustrate why I really don't like the 1.2 so much of the time, you have to be so very careful of background objects. I have circled the areas in two of your images that I, personally, find very distracting.

Obviously these things are all personal preference, but I found this kind of distracting element in 1.2 images far too often, I'd rather a fractionally slower and arguably less "sharp" lens that doesn't do this anywhere near as often. People that shoot with uncluttered backgrounds, or who have more control over the direction of their shots can certainly get the best out of the 1.2 between f1.2 and f1.8-2, however I prefer a lens that is far more flexible than that.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 547
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 519
Upvote 0
It's been a while since I've posted a cat photo...but this one came out nice - 1D X + 50L - f/2.8 1/160s @ ISO 16,000 + DxO PRIME.

_E9Q0805_ID-L.jpg

Upvote 0