Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

I had the good fortune to get front row tickets to see Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers in Tampa, Florida on Sunday night. I snuck in the M with 22 mounted and 11-22 in my pocket. Unfortunately the security was very tight and they made a big deal about "no interchangeable lens cameras" so I wasn't able to mount the 11-22. Other than struggling a bit with focus, the 22 did quite well. Here are a couple of the better shots I was able to take:

Steve Winwood opened - he was quite good:
Tom_Petty_and_the_Heartbreakers_Weekend_10974_ID-L.jpg

Then it was on to Tom & the boys and their no frills set:
Tom_Petty_and_the_Heartbreakers_Weekend_10995_ID-L.jpg

Tom_Petty_and_the_Heartbreakers_Weekend_11156_ID-L.jpg

Tom_Petty_and_the_Heartbreakers_Weekend_11174_ID-L.jpg

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
I had the good fortune to get front row tickets to see Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers in Tampa, Florida on Sunday night. I snuck in the M with 22 mounted and 11-22 in my pocket. Unfortunately the security was very tight and they made a big deal about "no interchangeable lens cameras" so I wasn't able to mount the 11-22. Other than struggling a bit with focus, the 22 did quite well. Here are a couple of the better shots I was able to take:

Steve Winwood opened - he was quite good:
Tom_Petty_and_the_Heartbreakers_Weekend_10974_ID-L.jpg

Then it was on to Tom & the boys and their no frills set:
Tom_Petty_and_the_Heartbreakers_Weekend_10995_ID-L.jpg

Tom_Petty_and_the_Heartbreakers_Weekend_11156_ID-L.jpg

Tom_Petty_and_the_Heartbreakers_Weekend_11174_ID-L.jpg

The color is great in that series. Very nice results!

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Thanks, Dustin! I found the M pretty frustrating to use after using SLRs in the past for similar shots, but the lens delivered some great results.

That about sums it up. The sensor is surprisingly good on the M. I haven't tried a 70D (or 7DII, obviously), but the M is cleaner than any previous APS-C camera that I've used, including the 60D. But yes, it has some serious shortcomings. I found those magnified in a recent review of the Tamron 18-200 VC for the M when shooting on the telephoto end sometimes. Shooting tele without a viewfinder is NOT fun, particularly when trying to isolate details like a bird in a tree.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Thanks, Dustin! I found the M pretty frustrating to use after using SLRs in the past for similar shots, but the lens delivered some great results.

That about sums it up. The sensor is surprisingly good on the M. I haven't tried a 70D (or 7DII, obviously), but the M is cleaner than any previous APS-C camera that I've used, including the 60D. But yes, it has some serious shortcomings. I found those magnified in a recent review of the Tamron 18-200 VC for the M when shooting on the telephoto end sometimes. Shooting tele without a viewfinder is NOT fun, particularly when trying to isolate details like a bird in a tree.
I could see the M being very awkward for 320mm equivalent photos but like you said, for most general purpose stuff, it's a great little camera. Wildlife and concert photography are torture tests of any gear, so that fact that you can get something out of it says quite a bit, and the files are very clean.

Upvote 0
EOS M combined with the 22mm is a great thing: A worthy successor of these classic 35mm lens compact cameras of the 1970s.
The body has it's quirks - mainly because I feel operating a smart phone with EF-M bayonet due to the inferior ergonomics.
But the IQ of the 22mm with the EOS M is great - not only in terms of sharpness but also in terms of contrast and plasticity 3D-look of the images. Two examples for this gallery page ...

Attachments

• 123_IMG_EOSM_008417_CCF_copyright.jpg
    123_IMG_EOSM_008417_CCF_copyright.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 521
  • 234_IMG_EOSM_008439_CCF_copyright.jpg
    234_IMG_EOSM_008439_CCF_copyright.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 597
Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2013
It really depends what you plan to use it for, but I have never heard anyone say that they don't like this lens. It's a very difficult lens not to like. I have both the EF 40mm f/2.8 and EF-M 22mm f/2.0. I like them both, but for street and general photography I find the EF-M 22mm f/2.0 more useful (and actually prefer the extra width of the EF-M 11-22mm). The exception is low light photography where I would automatically grab the EF-M 22mm because of its speed.

The EF 40mm pancake has an effective length of 64mm on a crop body and starts getting into the realm of short telephoto. I've taken some very pleasing photos with this lens, but I find the focal length a bit long for general stuff.

Apart from simply considering focal lengths, the compact size, light weight, light gathering capabilities and image quality of the EF-M 22mm f/2 make it a joy to use. You hardly realise there is a lens on your camera. It lacks IS, but I have never found that to be a problem. Yesterday, I was doing a bit of street photography at a local Thai fresh market with the EF-M 22mm on an EOS M6 and it was a blast. As you already have an M5 I highly recommend this lens.

http://phil.uk.net/photography/canon-ef-m-22mm-f2-stm-pancake.html

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2014
jolyonralph said:
Why not use the 40mm f/2.8 pancake with the adaptor on the M5? it's a nice combination.

i am, and i like it :)
it's just that i'm trying to move towards ef-m lenses...i now have the meike 35mm 1.7 in the same range as the 40mm. it's a manual lens, but it's nice
the only ef/-s lenses i have and will keep are the 15-85, sigma 15-600 and samyang 85 1.4

but my question was regarding the focal length and FOV in particular, as it is not much of a difference between 24 and 22 mm and i sold the 24mm pancake because i wasn't using it..not nearly as much as the 40

Upvote 0
andrei1989 said:
jolyonralph said:
Why not use the 40mm f/2.8 pancake with the adaptor on the M5? it's a nice combination.

i am, and i like it :)
it's just that i'm trying to move towards ef-m lenses...i now have the meike 35mm 1.7 in the same range as the 40mm. it's a manual lens, but it's nice
the only ef/-s lenses i have and will keep are the 15-85, sigma 15-600 and samyang 85 1.4

but my question was regarding the focal length and FOV in particular, as it is not much of a difference between 24 and 22 mm and i sold the 24mm pancake because i wasn't using it..not nearly as much as the 40

I see the EF-M 22mm as a great lens on the EOS M because it makes it really compact. And is - as described above - a good moderate WA solution besides a body with tele lens.
But if I had to choose ONE very useful prime lens for ME in terms of FOV I would prefer the FOV of 40mm on APS-C because I like more concentrated images. This was one reason to choose the SL-2 / 200D over the M5. Weight and size of M5 + adaptor +EF 40mm is comparable to SL-2 + 40mm.
Today I would buy the EF 35 IS USM instead of the 40mm lens because I like IS very much in certain situations and especially with a high resolving sensor ...

Upvote 0