Canon EOS-1D X Delayed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious how truly valuable f/8 AF is. I have some friends who shoot a lot of air shows. Most of them use the 70-200 f/2.8 and/or 300 f/2.8 lenses, often with a 2x TC, which would put the aperture at f/5.6. All of them have numerous stories about the times they put on both a 2x and a 1.4x on their 300's, which would put aperture at f/8. All of them have also noted, on many occasions, how painfully, PAINFULLY slow AF is at f/8 on a 1D series body.

If AF at f/8 is really that bad...is it really all that important? How many people use and *need* f/8 AF to really make it worth Canon's while to "fix" the "lack" of it in the 1D X?

Upvote 0

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
jrista said:
I'm curious how truly valuable f/8 AF is. I have some friends who shoot a lot of air shows. Most of them use the 70-200 f/2.8 and/or 300 f/2.8 lenses, often with a 2x TC, which would put the aperture at f/5.6. All of them have numerous stories about the times they put on both a 2x and a 1.4x on their 300's, which would put aperture at f/8. All of them have also noted, on many occasions, how painfully, PAINFULLY slow AF is at f/8 on a 1D series body.

If AF at f/8 is really that bad...is it really all that important? How many people use and *need* f/8 AF to really make it worth Canon's while to "fix" the "lack" of it in the 1D X?

I'm a photojournalist and I cannot imagine one situation where I need to use f8. I normally use f2.8

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jrista said:

Ask Art Morris, or others who shoot birds with feathers instead of metal wings.

Upvote 0
This is deliciously funny.

Makes me think of those flaky religious cheerleaders/misleaders who proclaim the world will end on a particular day. The day after that day, of course, they revise their calculations -- and give the faithful a new date.

I'm sure when the rapture comes all we Canon faithful will have our pristine 1Dx and a bagful of the most perfect L glass ever assembled by the heavenly choirs.

For me, I can be serene in the security of my CHAP membership -- Canon Heavenly Assurance Program. Those of us in the program not only have an assured place in Heaven, but express check-in! Show any Canon camera and you're whisked right in with a big smile and a full parade wave!

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Ask Art Morris, or others who shoot birds with feathers instead of metal wings.

Thanks for the reference to Art Morris. His work is FANTASTC, and his blog is full of goodies and wonderful knowledge about bird photography. It does appear that he uses the EF 800mm f/5.6 with a 1.4x TC a fair bit, and the shots with it are simply amazing...so I understand now why he might want AF at f/8.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=8682"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=8682" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=8682"></a></div>
<p><strong>April 2012 Release?

</strong>From Calumet in the UK, comes word that the Canon EOS-1D X may not be shipping until April. I had heard that previously, and it’s not overly shocking.</p>
<p>No word on why the camera may be delayed.</p>
<p><em><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827036-REG/Canon_5253B002_EOS_1D_X_EOS_Digital.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296">Canon EOS-1D X at B&H</a></em></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r </strong></p>

I've heard that before. One rep at Canon event told that this camera will be delayed to April 2012 - this event took place (as I remember) in early december or something like this (can't remeber the exact day, I can find that info in my email), so this really doesn't surprise me at all.

Upvote 0

DarkKnightNine

The best camera is the one that's with you.
Jul 1, 2011
Yokohama, Japan
www.marvenpayne.com
I know it's wishful thinking and speculation, but let's hope the delay is so the 1DX can support the new XQD memory cards like the Nikon D4. I feel that was a major oversight by Canon in future-proofing their new flagship camera. They should have gone the Apple route and included cutting edge technology that has a future.

Upvote 0

DarkKnightNine

The best camera is the one that's with you.
Jul 1, 2011
Yokohama, Japan
www.marvenpayne.com
I just read this quote on dpreview.com ( http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12/07/CompactFlashXQD ) “The XQD format will enable further evolution of hardware and imaging applications, and widen the memory card options available to CompactFlash users such as professional photographers,” said Mr. Shigeto Kanda of Canon, chairman of the board, CFA.

What I don't understand is that if someone who is an executive at Canon is the Chairman of the Compact Flash Association, why the hell were Nikon the first to adapt that new tech into a flagship product before Canon? It seems like the brass at Canon don't communicate well with each other.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
***IMPORTANT***

I just personally spoke to a guy very high up in Canon and he said there are very strict rules regarding who gets to buy the first (small) batches of the 1d X. He continued to say that when all the Olympics-journalists have gotten their cameras, and the rest of journalists, then the CPS members then everybody else, and he didn't have an exact time estimate for when you and me can get one, but he said it will be delivered soon, and that I really should just "forget it for the next few months"

The good news is that it isn't delayed at all, and there is nothing wrong with it.

Needless to say, this is extreeemely dissapointing.......

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
***IMPORTANT***

I just personally spoke to a guy very high up in Canon and he said there are very strict rules regarding who gets to buy the first (small) batches of the 1d X. He continued to say that when all the Olympics-journalists have gotten their cameras, and the rest of journalists, then the CPS members then everybody else, and he didn't have an exact time estimate for when you and me can get one, but he said it will be delivered soon, and that I really should just "forget it for the next few months"

The good news is that it isn't delayed at all, and there is nothing wrong with it.

What did he say about the 5D3 release? ;D

Upvote 0
Viggo said:

Thanks Viggo.

Like what you said, it's really nothing wrong with it.

The Olympics website quotes "...Media 24,562 accredited media representing 159 countries..." for the Beijing 2008 Games. Assuming half of them uses still camera and half of these still shooters use Canon (and each uses two 1D X), it still takes Canon about 2 months to feed them all with the 1D X as they are initially making 7000 per month.

A more conservative estimate might be 3 months because of the supply to satisfy Euro 2012 as well.

Viggo said:

Ditto!!! We don't know when Canon starts making it, but something like June for general public? :'(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.