Canon EOS-1D X Mark III pre-order bonuses and price: it depends on the country

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I only have a small brick and mortar shop where I live and they don't readily stock high end. The last time I tried to use them to buy a lens, the seal was broken and they told me that they always break the seal to make sure everything is inside. BS.

What seal? In the U.S. Canon puts no seals on retail packaging.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
They are brick and mortar shop in Adelaide, SA. Good folks. I bough a host of lenses from them over the time :).
Fair enough. 10k it is then. Considering that is WITH a 4 or 5 hundred dollar card that is a little better than I was expecting. By about the cost of the card really but better than nothing.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
L-lenses have, or at least had, a plastic sticker seal as the one I was referring to was cut.

Dealers may put one on them when they get them, but Canon reps have stated more than once that they do not seal retail boxes so that the dealers can verify the contents before selling them to the end customer.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
BS indeed! ;)

L-lenses have, or at least had, a plastic sticker seal as the one I was referring to was cut.

Please see message #24 in this thread:

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

It's funny, I have bought new Canon gear in the UK, the USA , Latin America and Thailand. The only place I saw 'sealing' of any kind was in Thailand where back in 2005 it was common to see new boxes sealed/wrapped in thin clear cellophane, but I often wondered if that was a Canon thing a local importer thing or just the actual shop that did it. Never have I seen an actual sealed box from Canon and now I know their reasoning.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bodies, not lenses.

And

canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-full-frame-dslr_1_abdfc91ac009a4b862053fa41a1f24e8.jpg

I'm not saying every box is sealed as more recent ones I had were not, but there was at least one that was, and it was several years ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
bodies, not lenses.

And

canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-full-frame-dslr_1_abdfc91ac009a4b862053fa41a1f24e8.jpg

I'm not saying every box is sealed as more recent ones I had were not, but there was at least one that was, and it was several years ago.

Not sealed by Canon. The policy is the same for their lenses and all other products.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Not sealed by Canon. The policy is the same for their lenses and all other products.

Facepalm. Ok, lets try this. "When I picked up my last lens from my local dealer, there was a 3D holographic seal over the flap that had been cut. The dealer told me they cut it to check it." Pretty sure it was the EF 24-70mm f.2.8 (most recent) It may be the only example in the entire world where this happened, but it did happen to me. Can we move on now. Feel free to let me know.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Facepalm. Ok, lets try this. "When I picked up my last lens from my local dealer, there was a 3D holographic seal over the flap that had been cut. The dealer told me they cut it to check it." Pretty sure it was the EF 24-70mm f.2.8 (most recent) It may be the only example in the entire world where this happened, but it did happen to me. Can we move on now. Feel free to let me know.

Facepalm. That seal was not on that box when it left the Canon factory. It was placed on the box at some point downstream from the last place Canon or one of its regional subsidiaries had control of that box.

Refurb lenses, which are not shipped in retail packaging, can be a different story. Some of Canon's refurb lenses, at least in the U.S., are shipped from third party logistics providers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Facepalm. That seal was not on that box when it left the Canon factory. It was placed on the box at some point downstream from the last place Canon or one of its regional subsidiaries had control of that box.

Refurb lenses, which are not shipped in retail packaging, can be a different story. Some of Canon's refurb lenses, at least in the U.S., are shipped from third party logistics providers.

You don't appear to want to listen, so I'm done.

Upvote 0