Canon EOS 6D Mark II Has Begun Shipping

privatebydesign said:
derekmccoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
An example of -3 EV is 1/15 s, f/2.8, ISO 102400. I'm sure there are lots of situations where -4 EV AF would be a huge benefit for real world use.

News flash, Canon isn't reading this and doesn't care about you or your needs. If you're disappointed (and clearly, you are), don't wait...switch to Fuji now.

Bye.

I'm speaking from experience. An example of -4EV is a dark dancefloor (shooting with speedlites). I normally have to rely on a handheld mini flashlight or DJ lights to grab focus. For example, I know that the D500 can focus in those situations.

I'm loving the sarcasm though, keep it up!

On that situation what is stopping the Speedlite AF assist working?

I'm off camera flash. 2-4 speedlites positioned around the room. Although to be honest it's not a deal breaker. I just said -4EV is preferable to a more sophisticated AF system. But that's my situation in particular, some people would rather an 80D style Af system.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I understand that you are shooting with off camera 3-4 flashes. Cannot you utilise AF assist beam of your wireless flash trigger/ controller to assist your camera to focus then?
As Neuro noted in a very polite way, that -4EV exposure level is practically a pitch black situation. -3EV is not far from that as well. example: T=1/15, F=1.4, ISO = 25600, this is way darker than you would experience shooting typical dance floor.

derekmccoy said:
I'm speaking from experience. An example of -4EV is a dark dancefloor (shooting with speedlites). I normally have to rely on a handheld mini flashlight or DJ lights to grab focus. For example, I know that the D500 can focus in those situations.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
derekmccoy said:
privatebydesign said:
derekmccoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
An example of -3 EV is 1/15 s, f/2.8, ISO 102400. I'm sure there are lots of situations where -4 EV AF would be a huge benefit for real world use.

News flash, Canon isn't reading this and doesn't care about you or your needs. If you're disappointed (and clearly, you are), don't wait...switch to Fuji now.

Bye.

On that situation what is stopping the Speedlite AF assist working?

I'm off camera flash. 2-4 speedlites positioned around the room. Although to be honest it's not a deal breaker. I just said -4EV is preferable to a more sophisticated AF system. But that's my situation in particular, some people would rather an 80D style Af system.

What are you triggering your off camera flash with and what is it? If it is Canon Speedlites, which I assumed it was because of your spelling, they can all be controlled with the ST-E2 that has a built in AF assist lamp, or if you are RT then the 430 EX III RT and 600 EX RT and 600 EX RT II can all do the controlling without adding to the exposure and have an AF assist lamp.

My personal experience of all low light AF systems is that they are easily fooled and take way too long to acquire people dancing on a dance floor, personally the differences between -3 and -4 in your specific situation seem mental rather than practical as I wouldn't trust any of them to get me reliable focus of moving subjects at those light levels.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
privatebydesign said:
My personal experience of all low light AF systems is that they are easily fooled and take way too long to acquire people dancing on a dance floor, personally the differences between -3 and -4 in your specific situation seem mental rather than practical as I wouldn't trust any of them to get me reliable focus of moving subjects at those light levels.

+1

But hey, maybe he's worried about the AF assist beam being a distraction to the dancers. DJ's tend to like their dance floors dark and quiet... ;)

600_366631632.jpeg

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Jack Douglas said:
I read CR for the humour. ;):) I know, not every appreciates my sense of humour. :(

Jack

Ha ha... yes, Jack

I often read it for the humour too. I get that! ;D

Here we are discussing UWAs lenses on APS-C sensored DSLRs, on a thread to do with shipping of a new FF DSLR!

Regards,

Paul

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Don Haines said:
pj1974 said:
I have used both FF and APS-C for landscapes and architecture.

[Snip]

Cheers....

Paul 8)

I have a 7D2.....
my most used lens is the 17-55F 2.8.....
going really wide, it's the Tokina 11-16 F2.8...

You can definitely go wide on a crop with a F2.8 lens and not break the bank.....

Hi Don

Thanks for your post here too, mate.

Yes, the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 can do a great job for a lot of circumstances.

As you wrote, you currently have a 7D2... would you find a 7D3 with an improved sensor tech interesting or tempting to upgrade from?

(I currently have a 7D and an 80D - the 80D being my most used camera... love it!)

Always appreciate your input on these forums, Don.

Regards

Paul

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
pj1974 said:
Don Haines said:
pj1974 said:
I have used both FF and APS-C for landscapes and architecture.

[Snip]

Cheers....

Paul 8)

I have a 7D2.....
my most used lens is the 17-55F 2.8.....
going really wide, it's the Tokina 11-16 F2.8...

You can definitely go wide on a crop with a F2.8 lens and not break the bank.....

Hi Don

Thanks for your post here too, mate.

Yes, the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 can do a great job for a lot of circumstances.

As you wrote, you currently have a 7D2... would you find a 7D3 with an improved sensor tech interesting or tempting to upgrade from?

(I currently have a 7D and an 80D - the 80D being my most used camera... love it!)

Always appreciate your input on these forums, Don.

Regards

Paul
I picked the 7D2 over the 80D because of the sealing.... I shoot in the Canadian winter, plus on the water, so for me the sealing was by far the biggest factor. Other than that, the 80D is the better camera overall.....

I tend to skip models, so the 7D3 is probably not for me, unlesss they make it spectacularly better than the 2.... I was interested in the 6D2, but the same problem arises.... it is not better by enough to tempt me. I did want an improved body for high ISO, but decided to get one of the Sigma F1.4 Art lenses instead.

I still might go for the 6D2, but I am waiting for the initial rush to be over and the inevitable price drop.

Upvote 0
Sorry to switch the topic, but has anyone run into Error Message 70 when doing shoots through LiveView?

I was excited yesterday when received my shipment, completely understand the lack of 4K (I don't do video), and hoping the soft dynamic range is something I can work with, but most of my lens are Sigma lens (HSM and art).
While the art is impressive, the HSM seems to have poor calibration issues with Canon Camera so I relied heavily on Liveview DPAF but this Error Message 70 is turning me off. When you touch screen for focus and take the picture, the message appears, the RED line showing the image is being recorded to the memory card stayed on and won't turn off. Only thing I can do is to remove the battery and restart.

I've seen people on the internet talking about using a different memory card. I'll try it again later today.
Any thought?

Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
Mine arrived yesterday afternoon and I went out and took about 300 photos with my 70-200 L USM lens. I put the camera in TV mode and set the shutter speed from 2500-4000 and the aperture at f/28 and auto ISO. The camera always chose ISO 100 and sometimes raised the aperture to f/32. These were airliners taking off at the local airport and were daylight only through the OVF. I liked the colors and the AF and the noise was much finer than my 6D and easy to clean up. I will be taking more challenging photos in the coming days. If someone would tell me how to put full size untouched RAW files on this site I will upload a few photos from time to time for everyone to play with in your favorite PP program.

Brian

Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
Jack Douglas said:
hbr, I'm interest in seeing your shots. As far as I know you have to upload the photos and link to them.

Jack

Jack, I just loaded 2 files into Google Drive and set up sharing. Try copying this into your internet title bar.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2lFTWTRuXxtcHJlci1tLURMam8?usp=sharing

Let me know if it works or not. It did for me. Feel free to download and play with them. They are not copyrighted.

Anyone that has the above link can download them.

Brian

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
hbr said:
Jack Douglas said:
hbr, I'm interest in seeing your shots. As far as I know you have to upload the photos and link to them.

Jack

Jack, I just loaded 2 files into Google Drive and set up sharing. Try copying this into your internet title bar.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2lFTWTRuXxtcHJlci1tLURMam8?usp=sharing

Let me know if it works or not. It did for me. Feel free to download and play with them. They are not copyrighted.

Anyone that has the above link can download them.

Brian

Just downloading now. I always played with my 6D RAW in DPP and so I'll get a pretty good idea. Thanks.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Well, I'm no expert but I played around and here is one of them converted with DPP. I brought the shadows up and cut the highlights a bit and stepped the contrast up one. There is no NR and the sharpening is at the typical default of 3. Seems it could be lower with little loss. So good, bad , indifferent here it is. Seems fine to me.

Jack

Attachments

• Sample from DPP_6D2_00175.JPG
    Sample from DPP_6D2_00175.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 195
Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
Jack Douglas said:
Well, I'm no expert but I played around and here is one of them converted with DPP. I brought the shadows up and cut the highlights a bit and stepped the contrast up one. There is no NR and the sharpening is at the typical default of 3. Seems it could be lower with little loss. So good, bad , indifferent here it is. Seems fine to me.

Jack

Thanks Jack for playing with the photo. I will be posting more if anyone is interested. What I am trying to do is to get familiarized with the new camera, especially the limitations and to show some real world sample images, (both good and bad), to those who are on the fence about purchasing this camera. I also do all my RAW processing in DPP.

I am going to be busy today - I will try to post some more images this evening. Early this morning a hawk showed up in my back yard and I was able to take a lot of photos. I had set the upper limits of the Auto ISO to 40,000, so I have a lot of pictures from 25.000 ISO to 40,000 ISO. Even at these higher ISO values, I was able to do a reasonable job of cleaning up the noise.

Brian

Upvote 0
I had that error on Canon 80D after having an SD card placed back into the camera with files Geotagged by Exiftool. Once I realized it, I took the card off, formatted it on my Mac and placed it back on the camera and formatted it again on it. No problems since.

tencachon said:
Sorry to switch the topic, but has anyone run into Error Message 70 when doing shoots through LiveView?

Upvote 0