Canon EOS 6D Mark II Has Begun Shipping

May 15, 2014
jeffa4444 said:
I'm at work and my wife has text to say the 6D MKII has just arrived. First time Ive bought a camera on launch day but my 6D has been such a great camera and would have been greater with more AF points and the flippy screen for very low tripod shots that it was an easy decision for me especially as I already have the 5DS.

Tests tomorrow on the High Resolution CIPA chart.

Ditto, my first pre-order jump on the bandwagon right away too. All the extra cross type focus points is the big reason I upgraded as well. Of course I just got my shipping confirmation and it is not expect to arrive until next Tuesday. :'(

Ahh well, what's a few more days. Have fun with the new toy!

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Andreos said:
I'm planning to upgrade my 6D alright ... to a nice used Nikon D750. Canon can take their sensor banding, their amp glow, their crap dynamic range, their insulting marketing segmentation games, and shove them all where the sun don't shine.

always have to love the new users come in and say the same thing.. seeya? have fun dealing with the shutter recall there.

especially with a used D750 ;)

Upvote 0
bergstrom said:
No 4K and this article on canonrumours

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-dynamic-range-talk-sample-images/

was enough for me to hold off and hope the 5d5 with 4k (or even 6k) and better compression of video files will deliver the goods.

If you're after 6k and high-quality video compression, why don't you just buy a video camera? That seems like it would fit your needs better. The 5D5 is unlikely to appear for quite some time.

Upvote 0
LonelyBoy said:
bergstrom said:
No 4K and this article on canonrumours

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-dynamic-range-talk-sample-images/

was enough for me to hold off and hope the 5d5 with 4k (or even 6k) and better compression of video files will deliver the goods.

If you're after 6k and high-quality video compression, why don't you just buy a video camera? That seems like it would fit your needs better. The 5D5 is unlikely to appear for quite some time.

Yes, you would expect the rumours of a 5DMk5 (or possibly a new line, as Canon numbers are starting to overlap) to be in around 3 years.

Upvote 0

RiceCanon

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
I was so excited to upgrade my 6D to the Mark ii until I saw the dynamic range tests. Canon included the other features I wanted to see but DR is a very important factor for me and the reality that 4 or 5 years later Canon takes a step backward with DR in the Mark ii is just inexcusable. 4 or 5 years on EVERY feature to a follow on model should be absolutely a lot better. This is a technology product! 4-5 years is an eternity in the tech world.
This is a company that acts like they have no competition out there. Really dumb! I'm not planning on buying this camera now. So disappointed in Canon.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
jayt567 said:
infared said:
Talys said:
that1guyy said:
Are people actually excited about this camera?

Sure. I hope I can pick mine up tomorrow :) I ordered at a local shop, instead of online, which probably means I'll have to wait longer, but oh well.

Oh crap. I just realized, I have to fill out the form to make sure I get my free jacket & shirt. The jacket actually looks nice.
No DR improvement but you get a jacket AND a shirt. I AM IN!!!!! :)

Why complain about the 6D Mark ii when you supposedly own the 5D Mark iv?

Not complaining...notice smiley face please!....just thought is was funny. I was joking around. Is that allowed? I am sure that the 6D II is a fine camera, as are the Nikons..etc...etc..etc.. If you have a good shot...they all work.
(supposedly have a 5D IV??????? I have a 5DIII also...and a trove of MFT gear which is GREAT, too!!!! Maybe you need to disconnect your identity from your camera?????) Have a fun day!
;D

Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
Andreos said:
weixing said:
Sensor banding & amp glow?? I never seen them in my Canon. Anyway, good luck with your Nikon D750... make sure check your Nikon D750 shutter had been fixed if the serial number fall into the latest recall range.

Oh, so you ain't seen it, so it don't exist, right?

Shutters can be repaired. Sensor problems can't.

Have an adult day.

What a dork Troll.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
jayt567 said:
Anyway, not sure what you meant by the identity comment but if you are referring to the camera under my user name, never used a power shot camera and haven't found a way to change that. Enjoy all your gear!

The camera under your name is based on how many times that you have posted. With more posts, it changes to a more expensive camera, and then to expensive lenses. The only question I have with it is how long before Neuro gets "hubble space telescope" under his name.......

Upvote 0

RiceCanon

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
jayt567 said:
RiceCanon said:
I was so excited to upgrade my 6D to the Mark ii until I saw the dynamic range tests. Canon included the other features I wanted to see but DR is a very important factor for me and the reality that 4 or 5 years later Canon takes a step backward with DR in the Mark ii is just inexcusable. 4 or 5 years on EVERY feature to a follow on model should be absolutely a lot better. This is a technology product! 4-5 years is an eternity in the tech world.
This is a company that acts like they have no competition out there. Really dumb! I'm not planning on buying this camera now. So disappointed in Canon.

In reality, if you hadn't read any reviews and purchased the camera you would have been happy as a clam with it.

Nope. After 4 to 5 years since the release of the 6D and its sensor I expect meaningful improvement in every respect to the updated sensor. This doesn't appear to be what Canon is delivering. That's just very disappointing to me and gives me a lot of pause.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
RiceCanon said:

I know the feeling - had a 386, then a 486, then a Pentium, wow, and then ... Hmm something began to happen that just wasn't as impressive. ;) But the prices - considering what you get - now that was nice. We're spoiled IMHO.

Jack

Upvote 0
RiceCanon said:
I was so excited to upgrade my 6D to the Mark ii until I saw the dynamic range tests. Canon included the other features I wanted to see but DR is a very important factor for me ...

My experience exactly.

The 6DII is spec'd very well for its intended buyers, IMO, and the price will only get better over time.
However, the dynamic range issue is the fly in the ointment for me.

But for those who aren't bothered by that, I'm sure that the 6DII will be terrific.

Upvote 0
I think it is very 'canny' what they have offered, you look at the pluses and it is a very tempting camera; fps, resolution, af, tilting screen - they just haven't given up all they have to give. No surprise, they are a business after all (and very successful). Acutely frustrating for some but Canon (and Nikon) have operated like this for many years. The original 5D to mkll gave us mp and better high noise but left us with a not so great af and low fps. Nikon, sadly, have taken to reducing features on the D7200 - 7500; taken away one card slot, taken away the contacts for a battery grip. I expect the replacement for the D750 to go a similar way. Enjoy the camera everybody, there are workarounds for the DR issue, but none to increase fps and a much better af. it is a very good camera, you just can't have all the contents of the goodie bag all at once.
Can anyone guess what the selling points of the 6D mklll will be? ........yup, you got it, class leading DR and ISO invariance.....+ 4K for those who want it.
The DR issue frustrates me as well by the way, but if I had a 6D I'd upgrade to this mkll - like I say, a very 'canny' move from Canon, you have to applaud them for that.
Enjoy the camera.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Well stated SteveM. People who get the jitters due to other peoples comments should reconsider and do their own real life evaluation because many of the comments are spec sheet based and don't represent 90% of reality.

Some people if offered a plane ride to heaven would start fretting about what seat on the plane they would have. Then presumably they'd find some complaint about their destination! ;) :)

I'll be overjoyed if the price drops before spring.

Jack

Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
Jack Douglas said:
Epaminonda said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeezLCMWt10

Minute 2:14 comment?

Bluetooth, phone in hand. It couldn't be easier and that's great ... until the wind blows the tripod over. ;)

So they say the 6D2 is going to be a flop, do they? :) Canon executives are not dumb. :)

Jack

From that height if the tripod fell over, I think the camera would be a smash. :)

Upvote 0