Canon EOS 7D Firmware 2.0 Available for Download

Status
Not open for further replies.
yossaneed said:
i got a problem: showing the picture just made for 4 seconds as usual on the menu, the pics doesn't disappear but gets stucked on screen. anyone experienced that? so I set to 'no show' and it works, but i'd like to have back my 4 seconds preview and then screen goes black

Check another memory card?

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

Sounds like you are in the wrong AF mode. In one shot mode the camera will not allow the shutter to be released until focus confirmation has been acheived. With a low contrast / dark / fast moving / low light subject you may well struggle to achieve focus confirmation at all.

You should switch to AiServo and see how you get on, maybe try the centre zone pattern first.

The camera should now allow 8 fps as it's no longer reliant on focus confirmation.

The other way to test your camera is to switch AF off. Provided you have an adequate shutter speed set there is no reason why in M exposure and MF lens should not acheive 8fps. This would at least let you verify if your camera is otherwise working properly.

Upvote 0
Y

yossaneed

marekjoz said:
yossaneed said:
i got a problem: showing the picture just made for 4 seconds as usual on the menu, the pics doesn't disappear but gets stucked on screen. anyone experienced that? so I set to 'no show' and it works, but i'd like to have back my 4 seconds preview and then screen goes black

problem gone

about the low fps: be sure you don't have the 'high' settings on iso reduction, that drops the fps a lot

Upvote 0
yossaneed said:
marekjoz said:
yossaneed said:

problem gone

about the low fps: be sure you don't have the 'high' settings on iso reduction, that drops the fps a lot

Interesting.
Once I thought I'd try to check for bad pixels on a sensor using Focal. During the test Focal crashed on 5d2. So I thought there's something wrong maybe with Magic Lantern or something else, so I checked 7d. The same story again. Ok, I thought, never mind. I turned back on both cameras, lcd went on and it seemed to work fine but I haven't checked it properly. On the same day a few hours later I had some shooting during some sport event. I turned on 5d2, tried to shoot and AF didn't work at all. Off, on, MF/AF on lens, battery out/in, lens on/off and nothing helped. 10 minutes of fear. I took 7D - the same. Again 5 minutes, checking all the settings. Finally it occured, that somewhere in settings on both cameras, AF locking on half shutter was switched to off - Focal did it abut never turned back because it crashed while running...
20 minutes lost, sweat and fear. Even if I think, that I know those toys quite well, there is always something that surprises me :)

Upvote 0
Z

zampa

Guys please, google it, is a very old well documented issue. Also with af OFF, shutter speed goes down to 2/3 fps in low light.
Do a very simple experiment: remove lens, do not put the lens hole cap over, cover the viewfinder, choose 1/500 and shoot
You will hear 8 fps sound. Put the cap on, cover the viewfinder, no more 8 fps. Disregarding any iso, af, noise setting.

Upvote 0
J

jmalmsten

paul13walnut5 said:
@Jmalmsten
The windcut filter is mentioned pretty heavily in the PR-materials leading up to the release of the firmware alongside the mentions of the manual gain control.

Can you point to an example?

Pretty much everytime I have read about this firmware there has been this:

"Improved audio functionality in movie mode also provides aspiring videographers with greater control while shooting videos. Users can complement the camera’s Full HD (1920x1080p) movie footage with 16-bit digital stereo sound, sampled at broadcastquality 48KHz, and new manual control of audio levels allows users to choose from 64 sound levels. A digital wind-cut filter also reduces noise made by movement of air around the microphone, ensuring sound is clear and free from peripheral interference."

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/06/canon-eos-7d-firmware-v2-official/

I am not sure how to test if it's there or if it's something that has been subsequently scrapped prior to release. But It has been in every mention of the firmware that I can remember.

Upvote 0
ruuneos said:
Really nice update just loving it, but sadly I use currently SanDisk Extremes so I got only 22 RAW burst but that's more than I really need.

Even more interesting would be the ability to run RAW conversion for selected photos in independent thread:
1. You can find those pictures after some time converted according to your needs
2. It would work like batch conversion in DPP
3. You could shoot on knowing the conversion takes place in the background (of course the conversion should be paused after having pressed any button to avoid interaction with the user's input and taking computing power when it's needed)

Upvote 0
I can´t understand Canon. They bring up a big update for the 7D, but the necessary errors in the 1D X and 5D Mark III are not fixed until yet. Also a lot of wished functions for the 1D X and 5D Mark III are not included until yet. Canon you loose.

If the firmware update for the 7D is able to speed the camera up, it´s no problem to speed the 5D Mark III up. But nothing happens.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

I can´t understand Canon. They bring up a big update for the 7D, but the necessary errors in the 1D X and 5D Mark III are not fixed until yet. Also a lot of wished functions for the 1D X and 5D Mark III are not included until yet. Canon you loose.

If the firmware update for the 7D is able to speed the camera up, it´s no problem to speed the 5D Mark III up. But nothing happens.

The 1Dx and 5D3 have been out 5 minutes, the 7D has been out 3 years. That suggests the opposite of 'no problem'. Also different camera architecture (different generation processors, different chip read off)

It seems from canons own blurb that it was work done on the 1d series that was transposed in this fw upgrade to the 7D.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.