Canon EOS 7D Mark II Related Announcements Coming for Photokina [CR2]

Bennymiata said:
Maybe they'll fix the focussing problem that some users are reporting.

Mine was at service again last week, still suffering from grainy and blurry pictures at an shutter speed faster than 1ms.
Got it back with the advice to keep the firm- and software current. Maybe the AF problems will be sold by such an upgrade. No further information on the trace-letter.

Upvote 0
While the hot-shoe contacts are capable of data transmission (GPS, e.g.) and "data" could certainly anything like image data for a WIFI transfer, I doubt Canon would be able to achieve very high data rates through the hot-shoe contacts. I can't imagine 54 or 72 Mbps for a socket built for flash communication. But a hot-shoe WIFI adapter would have my name all over it... Keep my fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
Bennymiata said:
Maybe they'll fix the focussing problem that some users are reporting.

Interesting poser. I returned a few 7Dii bodies to Canon and never got a direct answer as to what caused the issues I experienced.

Was it hardware or faulty units? Canon spoke of possible batch issues due to things like dropped containers or similar 'bump' mulfunctions.

New software would be great but I'm still sceptical as it was never established that the focussing errors was due to software issues.

Upvote 0
New dedicated WiFi module sounds interesting!
But it would need to compete with the 28$ WiFi adaptor I made out of a tp-link tl-mr3040 and a 10$ app. :)

Basically turns the 28$ mr3040 into a 300$ camranger.
Search youtube on how to diy it, or read the petapixel article here
http://petapixel.com/2016/07/14/wirelessly-control-dslr-less-40/

4K video meh, who knows if they would enable that on a crop sensor body, Video looks much better on FF.

However offering to remove the AA filter (for a fee) would be of greatly more interest to me!

Upvote 0
tron said:
weixing said:
Hi,
Maybe the LCD screen of 7D2 is actually a touchscreen and they will enable it in the new firmware... Maybe I'm dreaming... ha ha ha ;D

Have a nice day.
You are certainly dreaming. Maybe the new firmware will increase high iso and low iso IQ. Oh wait! Now I am dreaming ;D ;D ;D
If you're going to dream - don't dream small. :) Maybe they actually installed a SD UHS-II slot in the camera. Remember, SD is backwards compatible. :p That would mean you could have the 312MB/s UHS-II cards... Almost fast enough for DCI 4k mjpeg, and would have 145MB/s advantage over the max 167MB/s CF specification. With a card running at spec-speed you'd be able to drive the camera at 10fps pretty much till the card is full. Spec wise, of course. At best we'll see 80-90% of the spec in practical throughput.
Realistically,I expect very minor tweaks to how some of the timings work, maybe something focus algorithm related. *shrug* They're not going to do anything that competes with the 5D4.

Upvote 0
I don't think they can fix my core 7dII issue with a firmware patch - high ISO performance. I really like the 7dII capabilities EXCEPT for ISO performance @1600 and above. I had AF issues with an early versions of the camera/firmware, but those got resolved by exchanging bodies, firmware updates and sending the camera to Canon for calibration. I really don't need new features (except RAW buffer) other than a significant improvement in the sensor and ISO performance.

Upvote 0
Along with an exclusive implementation of Pokemon Go, the update will add a Siri/Cortana like service that will let the user adjust camera settings with voice commands and even get advice about setting up a shot. In "Camera Forum" mode the camera will make cutting remarks about your lack of talent and recommend you take up a hobby that doesn't involve creativity. ;D

Upvote 0
I must be missing the point here with the wifi adaptor....is that a big selling point???
I use a CamRanger with my iPad (or android phone) which is half the price of the current dedicated wifi adaptor, and provides a lot of functionality. The new one will be less than half the price?
You've got to assume that anything new with a 7D Mkll will be related to stemming the potential flow of lost sales to the D500 (are there not wifi problems with the D500?? - vaguely remember reading something about it....might be wrong though)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
dilbert said:
And people say that the gap to the 7DIII will be as long as the 7D to 7DII gap.

I don't think so...

Are you addressing the gap in terms of AF performance?

It will be, but in a different way. The DR coming off the 80D sensor at low ISO is heads and shoulders above the 7DII. One would assume the 7DIII will have at least as good of a sensor as the 80D. That's a considerably bigger jump than the 7D to 7DII in terms of image sensor performance.

Upvote 0
Michael Clark said:
It will be, but in a different way. The DR coming off the 80D sensor at low ISO is heads and shoulders above the 7DII. One would assume the 7DIII will have at least as good of a sensor as the 80D. That's a considerably bigger jump than the 7D to 7DII in terms of image sensor performance.

My shots are still going to be crap :) New camera bodies should also upgrade skills!

Upvote 0
justawriter said:
Along with an exclusive implementation of Pokemon Go, the update will add a Siri/Cortana like service that will let the user adjust camera settings with voice commands and even get advice about setting up a shot. In "Camera Forum" mode the camera will make cutting remarks about your lack of talent and recommend you take up a hobby that doesn't involve creativity. ;D
The more Complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of Play! (Shore Leave. James T. Kirk)

Upvote 0
BokehBalls said:
7D mark II released just two years ago. I think there won't be 7D m3 before end of 2018.
It will be 2017 because of the D500. They won't be able to make up the gap with firmware features on the 7D2. They have also invested heavily in the segment, as is demonstrated by the number of features given to the 7D2. That means they'll defend it just as heavily. So I do expect a 7D3 in 2017.

I also expect that 7D3 for more reasons than just the D500 - the 7D2 was the APS-C version of the 5Ds/r sensor pixel density-wise. I fully expect the 7D3 to have the APS-C version of the 5Ds/r2 sensor. Which if the 5Ds/r goes to 100MP-120MP will mean a sensor between 38MP and 48mp. I also expect not only the ADC but BSI, as Canon has been working on both engineering projects since 2010.

If the 5D4 has a 24MP sensor, then I'd push my estimates out to 2018-2019 for the 7D3 and 5Ds/r2 respectively. But that's a long time to allow for market erosion in a volatile economy. If the 5D4 has a 28-32MP sensor, then my estimates are likely correct. If the 5D4 has a 28-38MP sensor with BSI, then you could probably take my prediction to the bank. :p But I'm not a betting man, so daydreams these are until reality sets in. :)

After all, what is life if we can't speculate about our pet ideas?

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
tron said:
j-nord said:
I think a lot of people are looking for 7Diii rumors. Unfortunately, I bet these 7Dii announcements are just a hold over and we are a long way off from seeing a 7Diii (at least photokina 2017).
You must mean Photokina 2018. It is held biennially as far as I know.
You are correct, thank you for correcting me. To clarify, I don't think we will see a 7Diii earlier than end of 2017 but more likely mid or end of 2018.

Upvote 0