Canon EOS 90D and Canon EOS M6 Mark II announcements coming at the end of August

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
You cannot realistically expect that Canon will deliver a camera named xxD and priced at around USD 1400.00 to be as good an action camera as a camera from the xD-series that had a higher introduction price of around USD1700,00 in 2014?

Isn't Canon famous for releasing 5D cameras that turned out to be equal/better landscape/studio cameras than the 1D bodies, and at cheaper prices?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Never fear. After the 90D comes out, I’m sure you can find some ‘reviews’ that trash it thoroughly. I’d recommend starting with DPR to provide you with some good confirmation bias.

I've seriously wondered what metric DPR would push if Canon were to introduce a generation of sensors with higher DR than Sony. We have to admit that this new Canon quad-pixel architecture delivers 20 stops DR vs Sony's 15, but have you seen the DxO color depth score? Sony is still 0.2 bits ahead at base ISO. We're not sure you're going to want a Canon with poor color bit depth like that. :ROFLMAO:

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I've seriously wondered what metric DPR would push if Canon were to introduce a generation of sensors with higher DR than Sony. We have to admit that this new Canon quad-pixel architecture delivers 20 stops DR vs Sony's 15, but have you seen the DxO color depth score? Sony is still 0.2 bits ahead at base ISO. We're not sure you're going to want a Canon with poor color bit depth like that. :ROFLMAO:
Well the only metric DPR will not use for obvious reasons is Canon's success! :D

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Bleh. If they can mass market a FF camera at US $1300 (EOS RP) they sure as hell can make a decent 7D Mark III.

I'll stick with my 7DM2 for as long as I can.

This forum has documented lots of you guys are still using the original 7D every day, either for work or pleasure. My anecdotal experience confirms this.

Stepping down to a 90D does not seem like a wise choice.

What makes you think it’s a step down?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The main spec I'm looking forward for the 90d is the FPS number, because if 10 FPS or above are confirmed, we can assume 3 things :
- that it will have a nice and fast AF, probably as fast as 7d2
- the return of the joystick in a xxD body
- AF sensitivity set ups

That would make sense

If lower than 10, then complete different story... Can't wait to know the exact FPS number.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The main spec I'm looking forward for the 90d is the FPS number, because if 10 FPS or above are confirmed, we can assume 3 things :
- that it will have a nice and fast AF, probably as fast as 7d2
- the return of the joystick in a xxD body
- AF sensitivity set ups

That would make sense

If lower than 10, then complete different story... Can't wait to know the exact FPS number.
Yes the joystick is very important. I have forgotten to mention it. Rumors have mentioned 10fps so I took it for granted.

Upvote 0
Just a wild idea, but - do you think it is possible Canon would merge M5 and M6 lines? Design wise M6 feels being more a "rangefinder" camera and they could just provide it with a pop-up EVF?

that was my hope as well - capable M5 in M6 form factor, but with built-in pop-up EVF. Does not look like it though. CR rumor says "EVF kit available" - I take this to mean an external, optional EVF. EVF-DC1 or 2 ... or a new one has to be purchased ... maybe with higher res and/or (even) less lag. :)

Upvote 0
Its hard to see a direction with Canon's lineup strategy, it just seems so disjointed. Hopefully this isn't very accurate.

it is very clear to see. Moving towards 2 mirrorfree product lines: EOS M (APS-C) and EOS R (FF). During transition a few breadcrumbs towards dying DSLR lines. A "rebel kiss Joey" here, a 90D there, a 1Dx III to cap it off and call it a day.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
that was my hope as well - capable M5 in M6 form factor, but with built-in pop-up EVF. Does not look like it though. CR rumor says "EVF kit available" - I take this to mean an external, optional EVF. EVF-DC1 or 2 ... or a new one has to be purchased ... maybe with higher res and/or (even) less lag. :)

Noticed the mention of external EVF. Was just hoping for an eventual pop-up form (even if it would not mean M5/M6 line merge). The reason is my schizophrenia towards the studio gear. External EVF means no hot-shoe available. But well, I would still prefer M6 to M5 design wise, even if I would be supposed to use only a back LCD, when doing occassional strobe lightning. Pop-up EVF would be nice though. The question is, if it can be of identical quality/size to eventual external one ....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
it is very clear to see. Moving towards 2 mirrorfree product lines: EOS M (APS-C) and EOS R (FF). During transition a few breadcrumbs towards dying DSLR lines. A "rebel kiss Joey" here, a 90D there, a 1Dx III to cap it off and call it a day.
Do please let us know when the EOS M line starts outselling the ‘rebel kiss Joey’ line, will you? That hasn’t happened yet, even in Japan where MILCs are most popular. But keep on saying it, as you’ve been doing for years now. Someday maybe you’ll be right!

Upvote 0