Canon EOS 90D and Canon EOS M6 Mark II announcements coming at the end of August

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
How do you know using a 90D would be a step down without knowing the true specs yet? My hunch is it will have much better DR than a 7D as well as other improved features, especially if Canon is considering making the 90D an amalgamation of an 80D and 7DII.
As we keep telling the sony tribe, there is far more to a camera than DR. I am sure the 90d will be a good camera but in a lot of areas(what many of us consider the most important areas) it will likely be a step down. Things like build quality and robustness do not come cheap

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’m not so sure.. I chose the 80D over the 7D2 and I’m glad I did. I may get ever so slightly fewer sharp images, but I can crop more and I can push shadows more. Which is a big deal in wildlife shooting.

I got the 80D when it first came out over the 7D2 also, mainly for the flip and touch screen. I use it for wildlife photography and it actually does quite well. I've got some rather amazing images with it using the Canon 70-300L and Sigma 150-600. It's a VERY capable wildlife camera. I'm very seldom out in nasty rainy weather so it not being full weather sealed is not an issue for me.
If the 90D is weather sealed and shoots 10fps or better, I can see several 7D2 shooters going for it.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Who cares? EF-M is dead, and EF is not too far behind. If they made cameras that weren't 5 years outdated the day they were released, maybe they wouldn't be hemorrhaging customers at an astonishing rate. Just food for thought...
Black Magic just announced their 6K pocket cinema camera with EF mount for $2500 USD. I bought my R back when people were still believing that it actually shot 4K. In fact that was the primary reason I had bought it. That will do as my stills shooter and my 80D as my back up stills shooter for the next 10 years. But with the new BM announcement I am no longer waiting for Canon to finally release a hybrid camera capable of 4K. I have very likely bought my last Canon camera.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Black Magic just announced their 6K pocket cinema camera with EF mount for $2500 USD. I bought my R back when people were still believing that it actually shot 4K. In fact that was the primary reason I had bought it. That will do as my stills shooter and my 80D as my back up stills shooter for the next 10 years. But with the new BM announcement I am no longer waiting for Canon to finally release a hybrid camera capable of 4K. I have very likely bought my last Canon camera.
I’m not a video guy so I’ve never really paid attention. Does the EOS-R’s much maligned crop in 4k use a smaller portion of its sensor than a non-cropped S35 sensor?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Who cares? EF-M is dead, and EF is not too far behind. If they made cameras that weren't 5 years outdated the day they were released, maybe they wouldn't be hemorrhaging customers at an astonishing rate. Just food for thought...
Sorry, but your thoughts seem to have succumbed to starvation on the ‘food’ you provide. Canon’s ILC market share 10 years ago was ~44%, 5 years ago it was ~47%, and currently it’s ~49%. In case you don’t understand numbers, that means Canon is gaining net customers, not losing them.

Thanks for sharing yet another opinion from someone who fails to grasp reality.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
As we keep telling the sony tribe, there is far more to a camera than DR. I am sure the 90d will be a good camera but in a lot of areas(what many of us consider the most important areas) it will likely be a step down. Things like build quality and robustness do not come cheap
I am a Canon user 5DIV and a Rebel SL1. Both very different grades of cameras. I used the SL1 for a trip to Europe and shot with it in drizzle one day and it never had a problem. From what I read the forthcoming 90D will have weather seals. My hunch is it will be a more robust build than previous models in that series, especially if there will not be another 7D upgrade. Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but your thoughts seem to have succumbed to starvation on the ‘food’ you provide. Canon’s ILC market share 10 years ago was ~44%, 5 years ago it was ~47%, and currently it’s ~49%. In case you don’t understand numbers, that means Canon is gaining net customers, not losing them.
Thanks for sharing yet another opinion from someone who fails to grasp reality.

nope. It does not mean they are "gaining net customers". market share is about revenue, not about number of customers. Does not matter whether their revenue is achieved with 1 customer or with a million. Canon's had less (imaging) revenue each year for the last 5 years, they just managed to lose less than total erall market was shrinking.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
nope. It does not mean they are "gaining net customers". market share is about revenue, not about number of customers. Does not matter whether their revenue is achieved with 1 customer or with a million. Canon's had less (imaging) revenue each year for the last 5 years, they just managed to lose less than total erall market was shrinking.
Canon (and really, everyone but Sony) uses unit sales to determine market share. In other words, 49% of ILCs sold in 2018 were made by Canon, and based on Canon’s IR info and CIPA data, they’re still at 49% for 1H19.

As you say, market share is relative, everyone is losing sales in a contracting market, Canon is losing fewer sales so they are gaining relative to other ILC makers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canonical, I hope you are not an accountant by trade. Let’s look at the corresponding EBITDA numbers for imaging divisions. Shall we...

well, you are obviously not an accountant. Otherwise you'd know that EBITDA and market share are two totally different concepts. A company could have 100% market share and still have a massively negative EBITDA. Or a very high EBITDA and yet a tiny market share.

Also, meaningful EBITDA comparisons are not possible for imaging gear makers based on publicly available data. It starts with the different businesses they lump into "imaging division" and does not end there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Well, I have the original 7, and it works wonderful (and so will for many more years), however there are a few features that it lacks, DPAF for one, multiple exposure, less number of focusing points, only 7FPS, and maximal sensor sensitivity. I was hoping for 7Dm3 to upgrate the sensor capabilities, but since I don't own Canon, I am not the one making the commercial descisions there, and will inspect the 90D when it comes out and choose when and what to upgrade. One good thing that any camera will do is to reduce the price of the 7Dm2 (which may play a part in the descision making). Our wish as photographers are different at times than those of the manufactors, and in the end, it is a compromise between our needs and the option that the tool gives us.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
well, you are obviously not an accountant. Otherwise you'd know that EBITDA and market share are two totally different concepts. A company could have 100% market share and still have a massively negative EBITDA. Or a very high EBITDA and yet a tiny market share.

Also, meaningful EBITDA comparisons are not possible for imaging gear makers based on publicly available data. It starts with the different businesses they lump into "imaging division" and does not end there.
that was my point. re-read your post.. you were referring to revenue as a metrics then talked about market share... you are obviously confused.

here is what you said:

market share is about revenue, not about number of customers.

complete utterly non-sensual drivel.

there is a market share by revenue and market share by units sold and market share by customers and market share by numbers of a brand Trolls and Shills coming to CR website.

I dare to say that SONY is the global market share leader by numbers of Trolls and Shills at this site. here you have it, my friend.

keep trolling.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0