Canon EOS R firmware version 1.2.0 announced

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon is getting ready to release the next firmware update for the Canon EOS R, there are some feature updates as well as bug fixes.
From Canon Asia:
The new firmware for EOS R (version 1.2.0) will be available on Canon website from the middle of April 2019.
Firmware version 1.2.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes.
Enhancements:

Eye-detection AF

Supports Servo AF when shooting still images.
Now available when shooting movies regardless of “Movie Servo AF” setting.

Small AF Frame Size

Supports Servo AF when shooting still images.
Now available when shooting movies regardless of “Movie Servo AF” setting.

Fixes:

Under certain conditions, the electronic level displayed in the electronic viewfinder did not display properly.
Under certain conditions information displayed in the electronic viewfinder was not properly rotated.
Under certain conditions updating the firmware for the...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2016
Do they mean that you can now use the small AF point size when shooting in AI servo, or that there will be an even smaller AF point size introduced that also works in AI servo?

Either way, I'm very happy to see this. Even the single shot small AF point size is a little big to my liking, and then when you switch over to AI servo, the AF point goes to the larger size, and this is just way too big for my taste.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dlmartin81

EOS R
Sep 1, 2018
Do they mean that you can now use the small AF point size when shooting in AI servo, or that there will be an even smaller AF point size introduced that also works in AI servo?

Either way, I'm very happy to see this. Even the single shot small AF point size is a little big to my liking, and then when you switch over to AI servo, the AF point goes to the larger size, and this is just way too big for my taste.

That's a good question. I initially thought it was the spot AF as seen in the RP (and other higher-end DSLRs). But maybe you're right - maybe it's just the smaller AF that is found on non-servo. Crossing my fingers hoping that it's the former (RP's single point).

But like you said, I too am very happy to see this.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
These are welcome firmware enhancements as I shoot with my EOS-R in servo mode much of the time when shooting still images. In fact, my last few shoots I’ve switched off the EVF and only relied on the back of the camera. A big change after shooting a 1D for the last 10 years or so. The flip screen on the EOS-R is far better that the pull-out screen of my M5 and the Sony’s for that matter especially when shooting portrait mode.

I really hope Canon will be able to further improve the face and eye detect autofocus system in the R’s with firmware updates as it is still sadly lacking performance compared to the Sony a7 cameras.

I was at the Photography show in Birmingham the other week and the auto focus face and eye detect on the Sony a7’s is so much more accurate and quicker than that of the EOS-R’s.

Also, some good news to report, I’m getting over 800 combined images and short movie clips on the EOS-R battery before it starts flashing red. I have a back up battery which is a non-Canon brand and that is ok as a backup and cheap enough but doesn’t last anywhere near as long as the Canon genuine battery. A little off topic I know but it’s nice to be able to report positive Canon news these days.

Happy shooting folks

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Yeah, I’m not the one who will be using it a lot, but I was kind of hoping Canon had stopped releasing a lower end body with features that the previous better/pro didn’t have...
I don't think it will have the RP's built-in intervalometer either, it seems that Canon just does not want people to access silent mode RAW timelapses without an external remote, it is still very much Canon after all, let's not forget that...
While these features were promised already, I am not sure what else they will offer after firmware 1.2 besides fixes...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm really pleased to see Canon keeping its promise to be more active with Firmware Updates for the R than it has been for previous cameras. Fuji definitely knows how it's done, adding truly beneficial updates to older bodies. I'd love to see Canon continue this, especially with so many modern features being software focused, such as Eye-Detection AF.

To look at the home computing market as a comparison, Apple have long been releasing OS updates which improve speed of operation, and even battery life. If the R could get an update that shaved half a second off the start-up time, that would be amazing (one can dream)

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I still don’t get the hype about eye-af as face detect just works, but I LOVE new firmwares even if they “corrects a typo in the Magyar menu. So new features is very cool!
My experience with my 6-month-old niece is somewhat different. The eye-AF definitely nails it better over face-detect if the face is not quite straight-on, otherwise it might catch the wrong eye instead, just as it is seen here:

But I am getting used to just simply move that focusing point where I want, the less the camera needs to think instead of me, the better.

Upvote 0

5D35D46D2R

There's Canon. And there are other Cameras.
Feb 12, 2019
Much awaited. Much appreciated. Long overdue, but mustn’t complain.

Link to announcement here.

The Eye AF still has a long way to go (at least the current iteration) before one can confidently rely on it under most shooting conditions (read One Shot)

With Servo AF, we hope it can latch onto the eye quickly, regardless of whether only one eye is detected or both eyes are.

I’ll be very happy if the firmware update addresses these issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I was hoping they'd release a major firmware update, this is just a minor update (but happy they are committed to releases). Is this what they planned for major? Well this doesn't entice me to buy the camera and starting to look at other systems.
I think this is the major one Canon was referring to. I'm thinking they might also add spot AF and focus bracketing down the road though, since the RP has them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0