Canon EOS R firmware version 1.2.0 announced

Jul 12, 2014
I still don’t get the hype about eye-af as face detect just works, but I LOVE new firmwares even if they “corrects a typo in the Magyar menu. So new features is very cool!
If you shoot portraits with fast lens like the 85mm 1.2, you will quickly realize why fast, accurate eye-AF is a big deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yeah, I’m not the one who will be using it a lot, but I was kind of hoping Canon had stopped releasing a lower end body with features that the previous better/pro didn’t have...
As far as I understand, it wouldn't stack in-camera anyway, it'd just do multiple shots with different focus. It's nice but most of the time you'd want manual control over focus points.
More usable feature would be an ability to specify the focus distance manually in camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If you shoot portraits with fast lens like the 85mm 1.2, you will quickly realize why fast, accurate eye-AF is a big deal.
If you’d bothered to read Viggo’s post, you’d have seen the image he posted was with the RF 50, and you will quickly realize why your response is inane. Or maybe you are simply unaware that the RF 50 is an f/1.2 lens? In fact, Viggo has a history here of shooting with only the 35/1.4 – 50/1.2 – 85/1.2 trilogy, and typically shooting at or near max aperture, which renders your comment irrelevant. His point is that face AF defaults to the eyes, meaning it’s already eye AF for all practical purposes.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Very nice, but where is the focus stacking?

Why do you want to load down the firmware of a camera with more features? Every feature added means less focus on and more potential bugs in basic functionality. And more cost.

I'd prefer that Canon concentrate on firmware for the bare basics, for taking photos. In fact I'd go further and ask for manual mode only, no video, no post-processing tricks baked into the camera but with an unrelenting focus on improving the responsiveness and accuracy of the basic functionality. Perhaps they could tweak another couple of FPS, cleverer AF algorithm for servo mode, whatever.

If they replaced the current model with an "EOS R Essentials Edition" I'd buy it today. Maybe two of them!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Very nice, but where is the focus stacking?
Why do you want to load down the firmware of a camera with more features? Every feature added means less focus...
Except adding focus stacking would mean more focus. [insert rimshot here]

Seriously, while I agree with not adding everything including the kitchen sink, focus stacking is something I’d personally use (occasionally). I hope Canon adds it to the R, but it does happen that higher end bodies sometimes don’t get certain features found in lower bodies, eg lots of DSLRs and PowerShots have in-camera HDR, the 1-series bodies don’t.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Why do you want to load down the firmware of a camera with more features? Every feature added means less focus on and more potential bugs in basic functionality. And more cost.

I'd prefer that Canon concentrate on firmware for the bare basics, for taking photos. In fact I'd go further and ask for manual mode only, no video, no post-processing tricks baked into the camera but with an unrelenting focus on improving the responsiveness and accuracy of the basic functionality. Perhaps they could tweak another couple of FPS, cleverer AF algorithm for servo mode, whatever.

If they replaced the current model with an "EOS R Essentials Edition" I'd buy it today. Maybe two of them!

More cost but broader appeal so more sales, more budget for testing. If the code base for stacking already exists, its more a question of marketting than risk.

Upvote 0
Except adding focus stacking would mean more focus. [insert rimshot here]

Seriously, while I agree with not adding everything including the kitchen sink, focus stacking is something I’d personally use (occasionally). I hope Canon adds it to the R, but it does happen that higher end bodies sometimes don’t get certain features found in lower bodies, eg lots of DSLRs and PowerShots have in-camera HDR, the 1-series bodies don’t.

And yet video features are supposedly "free"...

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
Hey all, new here and came for a specific reason... what about the Tethering issue??does no one have a problem with the slow tethering to the computer?

???

I tether a lot - I do not notice any lag. Directly comparable to the 5D and 1D series when using Capture one. I wait 1 second or less for a RAW image to render. Are you sure you haven't accidentally started using hot folders? i.e. using Canon's software to tether and Capture one to read it afterward?

Sounds like something is configured wrong in your setup... wish I had more suggestions to offer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
???

I tether a lot - I do not notice any lag. Directly comparable to the 5D and 1D series when using Capture one. I wait 1 second or less for a RAW image to render. Are you sure you haven't accidentally started using hot folders? i.e. using Canon's software to tether and Capture one to read it afterward?

Sounds like something is configured wrong in your setup... wish I had more suggestions to offer.
???

There's no setup, I tether it as basic as I tether my 5dMk4 to capture one.
I need to test if it's only on my camera.

Upvote 0