Canon EOS R/R5 and RF lenses vs Sony Alpha a7R IV and G Master lenses

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hello. I am a Canon lover.
I like to take street photography and fine-art landscape kind of images.
I had in the past an EOS 1D Mark III and 5D Mark II.
Now I am ready to jump to buy this Summer a new EOS R5 body as I just purcheased a 15-35mm RF and a 70-200mm RF lenses.
I hope I made the proper decision....
I say this because I hear top comments on the Sony Alpha camera and the Sony sensor. It looks according to many review, very clean and providing very sharp images. The latest test for the newest Sony G Master 20mm lenses show an increible sharpness at the edges.
I am just wondering, if buy thre fact that I have just purcheased 2 Canon RF lenses and plan to buy, when available, the new R5 body, make sense versus Sony Alpha a7R IV and G Master lenses?

Any comment is very welcome.
TIA,
Andrea

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
It would be more productive if you come back after the R5 has been released and we have had the opportunity to evaluate it. You may also wish to return your lenses until the time you have a camera on which to use them.

Alan, this is not a genuine enquiry. Someone that loves canon and purchased expensive R lenses and have not purchased a compatible camera yet, verbiage used. Etc etc etc. someone who shoot with low res bodies, old school sensor and now all that sudden changed tune and chasing ultimate sharpness? Undecided but already invested in lenses? Leitmotiv is clear here:
I love Canon ( I am Like you, trust me ) but recently I found out that Canon is crap and Sony is fantastic. ( planting a doubt in you, fear of missing out, you are not up to speed).
In a nutshell, the enquiry has been disqualified

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan, this is not a genuine enquiry. Someone that loves canon and purchased expensive R lenses and have not purchased a compatible camera yet, verbiage used. Etc etc etc. someone who shoot with low res bodies, old school sensor and now all that sudden changed tune and chasing ultimate sharpness? Undecided but already invested in lenses? Leitmotiv is clear here:
I love Canon ( I am Like you, trust me ) but recently I found out that Canon is crap and Sony is fantastic. ( planting a doubt in you, fear of missing out, you are not up to speed).
In a nutshell, the enquiry has been disqualified

He has made apparently genuine previous posts including the following a couple of weeks ago.
Finger crossed than. I have bought 2 RF lenses now just to get this new R5 camera body asap....

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
He has made apparently genuine previous posts including the following a couple of weeks ago.
That certainly makes sense for someone who is shooting with EF bodies for a long time :) Buy two expensive lenses that cannot be used until such a time when a suitable RF body will be purchased. And that body has not been even announced yet. And now start questioning if RF lenses are any good. :)). Well this is how bots operate/ register account, and a few posts down the track : hey guys, I love Canon.. but... etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That certainly makes sense for someone who is shooting with EF bodies for a long time :) Buy two expensive lenses that cannot be used until such a time when a suitable RF body will be purchased. And that body has not been even announced yet. And now start questioning if RF lenses are any good. :)). Well this is how bots operate/ register account, and a few posts down the track : hey guys, I love Canon.. but... etc.

I've been using Canon for two hundred years, but....

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Did you also bought RF lenses (expensive) before you purchased a suitable camera? That did not even existed at the time of lenses were purchased? Because this what experiences photographers do. Right ? :)

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi all. Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my email. The reason I have purcheased first those 2 RF lenses was the fact that I had about 4000 USD available to be invited by January 31 in a project. I could not delay or justify this expense later on. In January I could get an R body (not too happy for some technical specs) or the newest 1DX Mark III (a bit too heavy, expensive and over my needs).
So I thought it was a good idea to invest for a middle term investment on premium lenses for the EOS R line (coming from the EF system and having used the 1D mark III and the EOS 5D Mark II earlier).
This is the reason why I have purcheased those 2 lenses.

Now I have just made this comment versus the Sony system for the only reason that Sony is getting better and better and that their sensors are considered extremly well in terms of perfomance and noise free at high ISO and those new G Master lenses get top scored on dpreview and other references sites.

So I was just try to know from some of you, if you think that the current RF line of lenses and the announced new Canon miroless cameras should at least match in your opinion, Sony. I know we do not have yet in our hand a new R5 but some early speculations, still, I think, could be made anyhow.

I wish you all a super day!
Andrea

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi all. Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my email. The reason I have purcheased first those 2 RF lenses was the fact that I had about 4000 USD available to be invited by January 31 in a project. I could not delay or justify this expense later on. In January I could get an R body (not too happy for some technical specs) or the newest 1DX Mark III (a bit too heavy, expensive and over my needs).
So I thought it was a good idea to invest for a middle term investment on premium lenses for the EOS R line (coming from the EF system and having used the 1D mark III and the EOS 5D Mark II earlier).
This is the reason why I have purcheased those 2 lenses.

Now I have just made this comment versus the Sony system for the only reason that Sony is getting better and better and that their sensors are considered extremly well in terms of perfomance and noise free at high ISO and those new G Master lenses get top scored on dpreview and other references sites.

So I was just try to know from some of you, if you think that the current RF line of lenses and the announced new Canon miroless cameras should at least match in your opinion, Sony. I know we do not have yet in our hand a new R5 but some early speculations, still, I think, could be made anyhow.

I wish you all a super day!
Andrea
Sony does make excellent cameras and lenses, and has been well ahead in mirrorless. But, Canon is very good at catching up and is very reliable, and I have little doubt that the second generation of Canon mirrorless will be strong rivals. I hope you don't have to wait too long for the R5.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You owe an apology to puffo25 for accusing him of being a bot. And Antono Refo can add one too for "liking" the accusation. Can we please treat everyone with respect.

Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy
I watched a video yesterday where a guy had been invited to an event in the USA , and he said the rep there told him a couple of months ago that Canon are developing an 85 megapixel R camera .

Yes, this one should be announced probably by the end of the year 2020 while the R5 should come to the market before Summer (maybe by end of June).

Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi Puffo , he has released another video today stating that the R5 might come with the 85 megapixels

mmmm, that sound too good:) Canonrumors and dpreview claims that R5 will be around 40 megapixels and that to me will be quite good. I think most crucial think is not much on how is the sensor big but how it perform on low light in terms of low noise, like the Sony A7R IV....

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
You owe an apology to puffo25 for accusing him of being a bot. And Antono Refo can add one too for "liking" the accusation. Can we please treat everyone with respect.
While you're right about that, the original post was extremely weird and basically it was begging for those kind of replies. Why would anyone buy two expensive lenses without a camera to use them on???
Now we have the answer, which actually makes sense but yeah, it was awkward inquiry, for sure.

Upvote 0