Canon EOS R vs 5D Mark IV - Pros & Cons

Adobe LR has a camera profile which is uses when a RAW file is imported. So it's possible that the Eos R's profile is beta...or there's a
WB centering error in it. The WB sliders in LR are a fraction of what the Program can provide. I have an Infra red modified camera and I had to create a custom camera profile to access the WB range I needed to swap the channels (or at least neutralise them).
In terms of RAW default sharpening, again, the Lightroom camera profile will automatically assign a preset amount of sharpening based on the camera model. So until Adobe releases the right camera profile...it's hard to make any real world comparisons with Lightroom.

Upvote 0
I’m also getting very weird WB readings in Lr with the EOS R, using flash WB at 5600 is reported as 7000 in Lr... it’s really annoying...
That because the Camera profile in LR is set for a different camera. You might need to make a custom profile or wait until Adobe releases it's own new camera profile. Under the Light Room hood....LR has a far bigger wb range than the interface allows us to use. The camera profile limits this range to a usable range. Otherwise a 1/100th change would make a massive change in wb and not offer the gentle or subtle control that we are used to.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
That because the Camera profile in LR is set for a different camera. You might need to make a custom profile or wait until Adobe releases it's own new camera profile. Under the Light Room hood....LR has a far bigger wb range than the interface allows us to use. The camera profile limits this range to a usable range. Otherwise a 1/100th change would make a massive change in wb and not offer the gentle or subtle control that we are used to.
I’ve never had this issue with any other camera before, and I use custom ColorChecker profiles, not any of the standard ones...

Upvote 0
I posted a more detailed impression over on the Eos R first impressions thread.
I basically think that the 5D4 is far more suited to my current photography. I hated the EOS 5 body, It's UI and lack of direct buttons made it feel like a posh Digicam. I like the EVF...very nice. Great sensor, but the Eye focus, face focus and general AF ability is pretty poor at f1.2/ f1.4...but fine at f4. The UI felt like a different brand to me and due to the adapter...most of my EF lenses felt huge in comparison. So, I'll stick with the 5D series DSLR's as my main cameras and maybe pick up an ESO 5 in a year or so as a play thing once the price has settled down. It's currently way over priced for what it is and as a camera it's not a mature product. It's got a lot of promise and some really nice advantages....but currently it's a no from me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
So has anyone decided the upgrade path whether go for 5D IV or EOS R?
I’m still thinking and not sure which to go. Wish to upgrade my 6D with higher megapixels camera.

I’m one of those people who REALLY disliked mirrorless and evf etc. I said on many occasions that the only reason I would buy a mirrorless is when they include an OVF in them.

But, here we are, I’ve completely abandoned DSLR’s and sold my 1dx2 and using the R and I’ve never loved a camera more, for me, it is the best thing I’ve ever used.

I would choose it 100 out of a 100 times over over a 5d4.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Viggo, did you also do video with the 1DX2? I'm most interested in hearing why the R for you exceeds the 1DX2. I'd gladly give the weight up for one and I'd be thrilled with more resolution but ...

Jack

I barley did any video with the 1dx2, It’s too much work for the quality standard I have, and it’s just basic documentation. I have loads of videos shot of my kids, and if it’s shot on my iPhone, Sony handycam or a 1 or 5- series I really don’t care.

For stills what the R does better is weight/size and AF related. The precision and spread of AF area I can put focus wherever I want. It doesn’t have those almost
Focused shots , it’s always, and I mean always, dead on. It works for kids faces. I can customize everything. There is no fiddeling or calibrating or anything. It’s like a Mac vs pc, no baby sitting, you turn it on it just gets the job done and works.

Also, I had more than a few beers, so I might adjust this post later, cheers!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Viggo, the AF comments are a positive moving forward since many have identified Canon as being behind Nikon for top end cameras. The size/weight is a given.

I find that the 1DX2 gives me great versatility relative to AF programming - shutter is spot, BB is multi, and DOF button is spot with surrounding points, with customization of parameters within those. My thumb plus shutter finger are always operating together switching without thought. I imagine the illuminated AF point is no longer a plus feature of significance, but I value that? I do find the central AF point area to be restrictive for up close long lens shooting.

I imagine, since it's a function of light level that you still have AF point sensitivities that favour the central region.

However, I have no knocks on the video, unlike all the early doomsayers and I've found $100 USD 256 GB cards that'll record 4K60 so far without hick-up. DPAF is excellent but I'm using a gimbal which adds to the weight significantly. Now IBIS is a potential plus moving forward(unfortunately the R doesn't have it) but it can't replace the full functionality of a gimbal anyway. Viewing my video on a 4K TV I'm really impressed.

Given that the X in 1DX2 represents video it can't really be dismissed as not entering the picture relative to an overall evaluation. However, CR folk seem to not generally be interested in video so .... and this thread is actually not about the 1DX2 and I can't comment on the 5D4 video quality.

Whatever you might add about the R is of interest to me for sure.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
So has anyone decided the upgrade path whether go for 5D IV or EOS R?
I’m still thinking and not sure which to go. Wish to upgrade my 6D with higher megapixels camera.
I had to make that choice (on upgrading from a 6D) late last year, in the face of serious discounts off the 5D IV, and the first decent discounts from the EOS R a couple of weeks before Xmas. In the end I went with the EOS R, being stil a level cheaper and as well as the fact that I am (i) not into video, (ii) generally shooting in one-shot mode and (iii) mainly wanting an upgrade in sensor and IQ. I seemed to be getting pretty much all of the benefits of the 5D IV without a bunch of the pro features (like weather sealing) I don't really need. Very happy so far. I also think the RF mount is the way of the future, and I don't tend to turn over camera bodies every couple of years. It has to depend on your expected usage though.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Viggo, the AF comments are a positive moving forward since many have identified Canon as being behind Nikon for top end cameras. The size/weight is a given.

I find that the 1DX2 gives me great versatility relative to AF programming - shutter is spot, BB is multi, and DOF button is spot with surrounding points, with customization of parameters within those. My thumb plus shutter finger are always operating together switching without thought. I imagine the illuminated AF point is no longer a plus feature of significance, but I value that? I do find the central AF point area to be restrictive for up close long lens shooting.

I imagine, since it's a function of light level that you still have AF point sensitivities that favour the central region.

However, I have no knocks on the video, unlike all the early doomsayers and I've found $100 USD 256 GB cards that'll record 4K60 so far without hick-up. DPAF is excellent but I'm using a gimbal which adds to the weight significantly. Now IBIS is a potential plus moving forward(unfortunately the R doesn't have it) but it can't replace the full functionality of a gimbal anyway. Viewing my video on a 4K TV I'm really impressed.

Given that the X in 1DX2 represents video it can't really be dismissed as not entering the picture relative to an overall evaluation. However, CR folk seem to not generally be interested in video so .... and this thread is actually not about the 1DX2 and I can't comment on the 5D4 video quality.

Whatever you might add about the R is of interest to me for sure.

Jack
I can add that I actually have used video more on the R, it has an option for smaller files, and the files are in general a lot smaller so I can actually use without filling up the cards and hdd. And I can get much better angles with the flippy screen and support is much easier when I can record using the VF.

What I like about the AF in addition, is that it doesn’t seem to matter where I put the AF point in terms of sensitivity and quality of focus. I felt limited with the 1dx2, with the 85 L IS for actiononly the center point was any good. And the fact that I always had to try multiple times to really nail focus on still subjects, it wasn’t off by much, but not anywhere near the quality of focus I get now. I don’t have all those AF setups now, mostly because I don’t need them, it just seems to work without all the fiddeling.

And one weird thing is that I always had issues with holding the 1-series in terms of getting level horizons, I always held it a bit tilted, but always straight with the R, I sometimes pull up the level just to check, and it’s already level. That means no cropping in post, awesome.

Now I can pull up the camera take ONE shot and it’s what I wanted, focus, WB, exposure, complete freedom for composition without recomposing etc. So there is much, much less frustration and that goes for the kids as well, no need for 10-15 shots and fingers crossed. Histogram and level on and off with the Touch Bar individually in the VF is also great. I just won’t go back:LOL:

Upvote 0
I’m one of those people who REALLY disliked mirrorless and evf etc. I said on many occasions that the only reason I would buy a mirrorless is when they include an OVF in them.

But, here we are, I’ve completely abandoned DSLR’s and sold my 1dx2 and using the R and I’ve never loved a camera more, for me, it is the best thing I’ve ever used.

I would choose it 100 out of a 100 times over over a 5d4.

Thanks Viggo.

What caused you make such drastic change from 1DX2 level camera down to R? Why not you wait for the pro level R?

Btw, how you think about the AF performance of R? Not about subject tracking, but the reliability of the AF especially outer one. My 6D tends to missed focus on the outer AF points...

Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
I had to make that choice (on upgrading from a 6D) late last year, in the face of serious discounts off the 5D IV, and the first decent discounts from the EOS R a couple of weeks before Xmas. In the end I went with the EOS R, being stil a level cheaper and as well as the fact that I am (i) not into video, (ii) generally shooting in one-shot mode and (iii) mainly wanting an upgrade in sensor and IQ. I seemed to be getting pretty much all of the benefits of the 5D IV without a bunch of the pro features (like weather sealing) I don't really need. Very happy so far. I also think the RF mount is the way of the future, and I don't tend to turn over camera bodies every couple of years. It has to depend on your expected usage though.

Thanks Jethro.

By the way, do you notice any banding on your night photography? YouTube reviewer Tony Northrup reported that he got a very bad banding shoot from a random night photography.

I am totally same situation as you. From the place I from, I’m able to obtain R with 24-105 kit for cost slightly lesser than 5DIV body only price. Frankly, this is the main reason why R come into the picture.

I don’t do any video work and just wanted a better IQ and higher megapixels camera to upgrade. 1DX2 is not my stuff, 6D mark II doesn’t seems attracted to me as a 6D user for many years. 5DIV was my only upgrade plan until the release of R.

Have been sourcing around this 2 months around the webs and YouTube try to figure out more about the pros and cons of the R.

As expected, there are many Canon haters out there. I never used any camera with IBIS, I think I probably don’t need it. My 6D is only one card slot, I do not have any problem so far.

I don’t really care about the one or two stop DR advantage at ISO 64 or 100 as I never under exposed my picture by 5.5 stops and pull it up on LR...

In fact, I always looking for a body with articulating screen with Full Frame sensors, besides 6D2, there isn’t any alternative in the market. Canon understand what customer want, they build something really want rather than have a better “spec sheet” camera.

Overall the user feedback are good, I may probably pull the trigger in next one or two months time.

Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
... And one weird thing is that I always had issues with holding the 1-series in terms of getting level horizons, I always held it a bit tilted, but always straight with the R, I sometimes pull up the level just to check, and it’s already level. That means no cropping in post, awesome...
I was having a similar issues with one of my 5D IV - I always held it a bit tilted. it turns out that the mirror assembly was slightly out of alignment with the sensor by a very small angle of approx. 1.5 degree counterclockwise.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Viggo, thanks for that. That's a pretty awesome report. Some of it is subjective of course and having made the switch it wouldn't feel too good focusing on what you may have lost in the move. I do take the comments as representing your honest opinion and value them.

My thought was the R for a back up and certainly I will be considering that but our use scenarios seem to differ quite a bit since I shoot a lot with the 400DO II and AF with that is fast and still impressive with 2X. It would be nice if someone who is shooting maybe 300 2.8 II X2 and could give me a comparison (similar to the 400). After all, many comments have been made about 1DX2 battery power required for speedy AF with big lenses.

I like others can see an obvious benefit being able to use filters with the adapter ring and the 11-24.

And, for uses more like you're describing I can see the flip screen and full frame AF points would be awesome as well as other points you make. So, I have now downloaded the manual to start taking a more serious look at this camera. Then it'll be a trip to the store to try it with some of my lenses.

Jack

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Thanks Viggo.

What caused you make such drastic change from 1DX2 level camera down to R? Why not you wait for the pro level R?

Btw, how you think about the AF performance of R? Not about subject tracking, but the reliability of the AF especially outer one. My 6D tends to missed focus on the outer AF points...

Thanks for sharing.

Why I made the move is based on weight and cost and my hate for AF that doesn’t work over time, and it’s the reason why I have always upgraded my 1-series as soon as a new model is out, they start to miss more and more and the constant looking after and calibrating and it still doesn’t hit. And with the 1dx2 I treated like a baby in order to not knock anything out of alignment, yet when it began missing and I handed it in for a checkup they said that the sensor and some mirror assembly stuff was out of alignment, not covered by warranty. So it really annoys me when I read about how they’re built like tanks etc, every. single. 5-series and 1-series I’ve had, haf these issues. I shoot only the fastest primes with no dof so it shows immediately. I hate spend loads of time taking thousands of test shots to try an figure out how to fix it. The AF spread is a major reason why I switched. And I figured that spending 7500 USD on yet another body that is only good for 2-5 years is not going to happen when everything moves towards mirrorless.

So, freedom with AF in terms of how precise and where I can place it and the new RF50 was big reasons. And my health doesn’t like the heavy 1-series anymore. I had lower expectations for tracking my kids with the R, but it’s much better, even with the RF50 who really doesn’t match a 70-200 for example.

I liked the 14 fps because it made the chance better of hitting, not the right moment, but focus. There was always the best frame (among others)that wasn’t in focus. Now every shot is in focus, hence the need for 14 isn’t there for me anymore.

Smaller, lighter, better lens, cheaper and gets better results, easy choice.

Something simple as this shot there is no need to recompose when the spread of AF point covers everything.

Attachments

• 17769D34-12E2-4228-96E7-A1CEBDC45BA4.jpeg
    17769D34-12E2-4228-96E7-A1CEBDC45BA4.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 206
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0