Canon EOS R3 leaks

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Some of my immediate thoughts, after looking at this for a bit.

1. Is this the 1DX for the R series, or is this the 7D? There's no guarantee that they aren't doing a full-grip crop camera, which would make the R1 a full frame version of the R3. I do believe this is the "R1," but the naming scheme is throwing me off, as it leaves room for an R2 and R1.
  2. The texture on the grip seems different, interested to know how that feels. It almost looks CGI to me, so wondering if this is an actual photograph or a sorta-mock-up rendering from Canon
  3. You can see the LCD indent from the top plate, which makes it look like the top plate of this camera will look very similar to the R5, with a square LCD.

1618280905927.png
  4. Definitely looks like it takes the LP-E19 series of batteries, but I'm sure there will be a new version for USB-C charging.
  5. With all the space on the port-side of the camera, interesting that the intervalometer is on the front again. What's all on the port side to make it move to the front? Could there be a flip-out screen that makes them have to avoid putting too much on the portside?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
This is what I wrote on the Twitter post but I wanted to present it hear as well.

Just hear me out...If this is an R3 that means there is still a chance for an R1 no? So maybe this is a bump up and mirrorless update on the 1DX Mark III and the R1 would be some astronomical camera yet to be announced?

Kind of like how Sony has the A9 II which is the Sony equivalent of the 1DX Mark III. But then out of nowhere Sony announced the A1 which is an astronomical camera. Maybe Canon is following suit.. very interesting times indeed.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
This is what I wrote on the Twitter post but I wanted to present it hear as well.

Just hear me out...If this is an R3 that means there is still a chance for an R1 no? So maybe this is a bump up and mirrorless update on the 1DX Mark III and the R1 would be some astronomical camera yet to be announced?

Kind of like how Sony has the A9 II which is the Sony equivalent of the 1DX Mark III. But then out of nowhere Sony announced the A1 which is an astronomical camera. Maybe Canon is following suit.. very interesting times indeed.
It's interesting because I do doubt that Canon would release an "R5s" when they could use the new numbering system. Could the R1 be a 80mp 20+ fps camera or something ridiculous like that that comes next year? I always thought the R3 name would be the new high-res line.

It does leave me wondering if you're right and the R3 is simply Canon perfecting a pro sports mirrorless camera for this year's olympics before they release an insane-spec R1 next year.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I simply don't think Canon is getting rid of the 1 series after all this time.

The old film EOS-3 was the last non-1 series camera to receive Canon's top-of-the-line focus system before the 5D mark III, which seems like an important characteristic.

The only thing above the EOS-3? The EOS-1V.

I'm suddenly starting to believe the EOS R3 won't have industry-breaking specs, which I could see Canon saving for a big entrance with the R1 next year, if this is the case.

That said, I do wonder if the R3 will end up with a crazy quad-pixel global shutter? It doesn't have to be 80mp or compete with the A1, but introducing a global shutter, even at 20 mp, would be a huge deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nikon Rumors has this posted on top right now with a comparison shot of the Nikon Z9 with equivalent lens (24-70 f2.8 and 82mm filter). Based on the lens size on the body, the Canon body appears to be significantly larger.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Nikon Rumors has this posted on top right now with a comparison shot of the Nikon Z9 with equivalent lens (24-70 f2.8 and 82mm filter). Based on the lens size on the body, the Canon body appears to be significantly larger.

Impossible to know considering both may be renders and not truly to scale, but if you upsize the hotshoe on the Z9 to match the R3, the Z9 is actually clearly bigger.

1618285918909.png

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Nokishita is quite often right, so this is strong rumor. I like gripped bodies. I like this rumor.

Trying to guess the segment. R1 will be top end sports camera for sure. R3 could be:

-high mpix (why gripped body format then?)

-R1-lite, as in they don't have R1 complete yet to release, so they'll release something in-between, like $4k-ish almost top but still room for R1 (would explain the grip and the buttons next to the lens)

-special birding body, R5 with crop, crazy high fps, and huge battery so you can keep shooting all day.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Canon really enjoys findinv new ways to throw us curveballs and keep us off their trail

Here I was convinced the R1 had to be 8k high res, with the A1 and Z9 both meeting that spec, but now I think this camera, the R3, is more of an A9 competitor than an A1 competitor. I could see 6K raw video, but I do get the feeling the R1 is going to exist some day, and it's going to have to be more than an R3 Mark II.

This all only really makes sense to me if the R3 is a low res global shutter beast that shoots something like 24 megapixels at 60 fps or higher, with the R1 eventually doing something like 80 mp at 30 fps. Clearly Canon is breaking the mold here, though. Lots of surprises to come I'm sure.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Sony and Nikon has moved away from low megapixel count with the A1 and Z9

So Canon's idea about the high megapixel count and the sports camera could be simply to merge the two, maybe with the option of shooting RAW (or maybe HEIF) in a lower resolution. And of course they can ask more money for it, 8500$ was being thrown around, and it sounds about right considering it is much newer technology compared to the 1DX Mark III while the Nikon Z9 might be as "cheap" as the Sony A1.

Upvote 0
Canon really enjoys findinv new ways to throw us curveballs and keep us off their trail

Here I was convinced the R1 had to be 8k high res, with the A1 and Z9 both meeting that spec, but now I think this camera, the R3, is more of an A9 competitor than an A1 competitor. I could see 6K raw video, but I do get the feeling the R1 is going to exist some day, and it's going to have to be more than an R3 Mark II.

This all only really makes sense to me if the R3 is a low res global shutter beast that shoots something like 24 megapixels at 60 fps or higher, with the R1 eventually doing something like 80 mp at 30 fps. Clearly Canon is breaking the mold here, though. Lots of surprises to come I'm sure.

I was actually thinking that this R3 might be the higher megapixel camera. I like the idea of a vertical gripped body with a high MP sensor. I’ve never understood why this body type was reserved for ‘sports’ cameras with a lower megapixel count. A great deal of high end fashion is shot in portrait orientation after all.

Sony and Nikon has moved away from low megapixel count with the A1 and Z9

So Canon's idea about the high megapixel count and the sports camera could be simply to merge the two, maybe with the option of shooting RAW (or maybe HEIF) in a lower resolution. And of course they can ask more money for it, 8500$ was being thrown around, and it sounds about right considering it is much newer technology compared to the 1DX Mark III while the Nikon might be as "cheap" as the Sony A1.
Interesting.. so you think this R3 could be as much as $8500? Makes my eyes water what an R1 would cost.. ouch!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I was actually thinking that this R3 might be the higher megapixel camera. I like the idea of a vertical gripped body with a high MP sensor. I’ve never understood why this body type was reserved for ‘sports’ cameras with a lower megapixel count. A great deal of high end fashion is shot in portrait orientation after all.

Interesting.. so you think this R3 could be as much as $8500? Makes my eyes water what an R1 would cost.. ouch!
It all depends on the sensor, if it is the first to receive the next generation AF system, global shutter, then yes, surely it will be well above the 1DX III and there is no such thing as the R1 if they've figured it out how to make high megapixel count work effectively with high speed and that's also why they've changed the numbering.

The timing of flagship Nikon and Canon cameras have been aligning in the past, so I think this is the flagship model and maybe later on they will do an R5 derived model just for resolution with a more "normal" sensor.

Maybe some more credible specs will leak out after the development announcement as it were with the R5 and R6.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It's a different finish from the picture, and it is also the official picture that will be provided with the development announcement.

Sony A1 new naming scheme indicating merging of categories (resolution, speed, video etc.), Nikon Z9 as well.
So Canon following through with changing the naming for the flagship wouldn't be that surprising.

Upvote 0