Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming soon, RAW light to be added? [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I don’t think it comes as a surprise that Canon will be releasing firmware updates for the Canon EOS R5. I have been told that we will see an update “soon”, no date was given. As with most firmware updates, it’ll be released when it’s done.
The source claims the following will be added to the Canon EOS R5, but cautions it may not come all at once in a single firmware update.

Addition of Cinema RAW light option to 8K recording
Addition of CLog 3
Increased record time limits (but don’t expect a huge boost)
Various bug fixes

These additions may not be all that is coming, but the source claims these features are what’s coming first.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is there a firmware for R6 as well with similar fixes/addons or only R5? Also, can anyone explain to me what is Cinema RAW light? I am a noob but eager to learn more. Just recently learned bRAW is Black Magic Raw :))

Cinema Raw Light is Canon's own compressed raw codec, first introduced on the C200 and now present in C500II, C300III, and 1DX Mark III. It's similar to Black Magic Raw in that it is a compressed raw codec giving you raw image quality without the giant file sizes. BM Raw has more compression options (5:1, 8:1, 12:1, etc), but Canon's is a fixed compression that works out to be around 4:1 or so. So, file sizes are still big, but not nearly as big as straight raw. Adding this would probably double or triple your record times in 8k on the R5, which would be very welcome.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

filmmakerken

EOS R, EOS 10, FTb
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2020
Virginia
www.cinefoundry.com
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
At minimum the following should be added:
  • 8K output over HDMI... this should be easy on the system as no compression needed and HDMI 2.0 supports 8K @30p. So no excuses not to enable it.
  • 4K HQ @24p internal recording without recording time limits.
  • Non-recording operations should not impact available recording time.
  • Recovery time needs to be removed. Imposing a record limits is one thing, but requiring 2 hours plus to restore the camera to full functionality is frankly ridiculous. I believe these limits are artificial. And testing would seem to support this suspicion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0