Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

Z9 and much later Z8 will include a bird AF option. I believe Canon will follow. Or they can improve the existing one to get the same one to make it equally effective. We don't know. When we are out taking pictures, we may encounter other creatures equally interesting. We would not like to have to change AF settings...
The Z8 offers a Bird AF case. Quite candidly, the R5 is still an excellent performer for this application and that has never been a concern of mine. Comparatively, before the most recent FW update, the Z8 and Z9 were not even in the same league of the R5 in terms of eye detect and AF for birds.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Subscription is a hot-button issue. People who subscribe to mortgages or rent, insurance (car, home, health, life) electricity, gas, water supply, sewage disposal, newspapers, and all sorts of other things without giving it a thought balk at $10 per month for the Adobe Photography Plan. Personally, I'm not bothered at all by the Adobe subscription model; indeed, I have both the Photography Plan and the full Creative Cloud Plan (five Macs and three iPads in the house), plus I pay for the Photography Plan for my nephew.

I don't know how a camera subscription plan would work, so I'm not going to reject it out-of-hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Really not sure why people are going overboard with angst over the subscription thing. Yes, BMW tried heated seats as a subscription product. But it's not like they made people subscribe to use the car's transmission or door locks, which is analogous to what some here are suggesting for Canon. Sheesh. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Didn’t bmw also charge an annual fee for Apple CarPlay? I get that some manufacturers prefer their own infotainment system but giving the driver a choice would be nice

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Subscription is a deel killer for me.

I gave up completely on Adobe when they went to subscription model....
I would had to say sometime in the future that I had to give up on Canon due to the same reasons that had nothing to do with actual image quality and hardware performance.
But aren’t all the competitors also now announcing subscription models? There is ongoing r&d costs to add new camera bodies but do you expect them for free?

Upvote 0
FSD and other options are effectively "subscriptions" from Tesla because they can't be resold when you sell the car on the 2nd hand market. Sure, you don't pay $10/month for those Tesla options but you don't own the capability/feature either - you pay Tesla a license fee to use it (which isn't that much different to a subscription.)
It is called subscription licensing in the telco world. For software defined networking (SD-WAN) / virtual network functions (VNFs) where you use a proxy server or wan acceleration functions on a monthly basis. Something akin to aws/azure etc server usage.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Subscription is a deel killer for me.

I gave up completely on Adobe when they went to subscription model....
I would had to say sometime in the future that I had to give up on Canon due to the same reasons that had nothing to do with actual image quality and hardware performance.

Seriously? For $10 per month you abandoned the world's premiere photo editing and cataloging software? What are you using, GIMP? Or perhaps you're just doing ASCII art on MSDOS? Or perhaps you don't subscribe to electricity at home, either, and you are posting from the local library?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Subscription is a hot-button issue. People who subscribe to mortgages or rent, insurance (car, home, health, life) electricity, gas, water supply, sewage disposal, newspapers, and all sorts of other things without giving it a thought balk at $10 per month for the Adobe Photography Plan. Personally, I'm not bothered at all by the Adobe subscription model; indeed, I have both the Photography Plan and the full Creative Cloud Plan (five Macs and three iPads in the house), plus I pay for the Photography Plan for my nephew.

I don't know how a camera subscription plan would work, so I'm not going to reject it out-of-hand.
Those are on the whole false analogies to subscription software. When WC Fields write “Never give a sucker an even break” he must have been thinking of those who fall hook, line and sinker to the likes of Adobe.

Upvote 0
Didn’t bmw also charge an annual fee for Apple CarPlay? I get that some manufacturers prefer their own infotainment system but giving the driver a choice would be nice
Yes, they did it in 2019 and walked it back. They also tried to get a subscription for heated seats which they only dropped in 2023. Further, GM plans to remove all android auto and apple carplay support in EVs starting in 2024 to instead offer an infotainment system developed with google which will likely come with a subscription fee. Similarly, Toyota removed remote start functionality on vehicles where the fob connected direct to the car in favour of a system which connects to the car using the cell network to be able to start from farther away, and again this comes with a service fee.

While I’m pretty averse to subscription services, I understand a subscription fee when the provider continues to provide and maintain a service - like if they’re running servers to keep my product operating, I get there can be a cost attached to that. But when the subscription is for just having them let me use a feature or tool already installed and functional on a product I purchased in whole, then I have a hard time with that. Same (but maybe lessened) concern for instances where features are removed in favour of a new feature which comes with a subscription rather than making both available.

Either way, there are a lot of flavours out there of companies removing a service and replacing it with a new one locked behind a service fee or subscription. And that’s just a few in the auto world. Given examples like these, I can understand why people assume the worst here. Here’s hoping Canon’s offering is reasonable.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Those are on the whole false analogies to subscription software. When WC Fields write “Never give a sucker an even break” he must have been thinking of those who fall hook, line and sinker to the likes of Adobe.
It's not "falling for" something, it's making a reasoned decision based on the value proposition. For me, it was a no-brainer. I remember buying perpetual Photoshop for many hundreds of dollars. Now I'll always have the latest and greatest, I don't have to learn a new package, and it costs a pittance - less than a couple trips to starbucks (I don't drink caffeine but it's a reasonable barometer).

I understand the opposite perspective. I want to buy this thing and ride it out until it's EOL on modern operating systems, then I want to buy it again. But for me, 30 cents a day is easily worth avoiding that headache.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's not "falling for" something, it's making a reasoned decision based on the value proposition. For me, it was a no-brainer. I remember buying perpetual Photoshop for many hundreds of dollars. Now I'll always have the latest and greatest, I don't have to learn a new package, and it costs a pittance - less than a couple trips to starbucks (I don't drink caffeine but it's a reasonable barometer).

I understand the opposite perspective. I want to buy this thing and ride it out until it's EOL on modern operating systems, then I want to buy it again. But for me, 30 cents a day is easily worth avoiding that headache.
Coffee is a consumable, and when consumed needs to be repurchased on perhaps a daily basis. Computer software is not such a consumable but some developers want us to be in their thrall as if it were a consumable. Now you have a perfect right to choose to rent software, be it on a reasoned decision or based on flawed analogies. But, I want the choice of renting or buying. It’s a question of the right to choose or being being subject to a dictatorship.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Coffee is a consumable, and when consumed needs to be repurchased on perhaps a daily basis. Computer software is not such a consumable but some developers want us to be in their thrall as if it were a consumable. Now you have a perfect right to choose to rent software, be it on a reasoned decision or based on flawed analogies. But, I want the choice of renting or buying. It’s a question of the right to choose or being being subject to a dictatorship.
And Starbucks' "coffee" belongs even to the "non-consumables". :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
Seriously? For $10 per month you abandoned the world's premiere photo editing and cataloging software? What are you using, GIMP? Or perhaps you're just doing ASCII art on MSDOS? Or perhaps you don't subscribe to electricity at home, either, and you are posting from the local library?
Or worse, they post unedited JPEGs :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Although I could avoid a subscription service by switching to some other raw editor, I then have to learn the intricacies of it in the same way I've spent well over a decade learning Lightroom. Okay, so you make a commitment and do so...goodbye subscription, although at a significant time commitment cost and potential adjustment to workflow.

Now the company you switch to, how viable are they? Is there a guarantee they won't go the subscription route as well? Will features be added/updated on a reasonable basis? Version upgrades? Backwards compatibility? There are a lot of questions to be considered.

Like them or not, Adobe is the industry standard not only for photo editing but graphic arts in general. While nothing is a surety I can be reasonably certain they aren't going anywhere in my lifetime.

To me, all the above makes the subscription well worth it.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Coffee is a consumable, and when consumed needs to be repurchased on perhaps a daily basis. Computer software is not such a consumable but some developers want us to be in their thrall as if it were a consumable. Now you have a perfect right to choose to rent software, be it on a reasoned decision or based on flawed analogies.

I think you're getting a bit hung up on the coffee thing. I wasn't drawing an analogy between buying coffee and renting software, I was simply citing what has become a fairly common reference point for how much something costs. The decision, as mentioned, hinged on always have the latest and greatest, not having to learn new software, and low cost.

I don't see why it's so contentious to make that decision.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think you're getting a bit hung up on the coffee thing. I wasn't drawing an analogy between buying coffee and renting software, I was simply citing what has become a fairly common reference point for how much something costs. The decision, as mentioned, hinged on always have the latest and greatest, not having to learn new software, and low cost.

I don't see why it's so contentious to make that decision.
It so happens I make more use of the Adobe Creative Suite than probably most here - I use InDesign and Adobe Pro professionally, and do have a subscription. It's not aimed at you personally but it's at other posts here that employ illogical reasoning to justify a marketing practice that I deplore as being greedy.

Upvote 0
Yes, they did it in 2019 and walked it back. They also tried to get a subscription for heated seats which they only dropped in 2023. Further, GM plans to remove all android auto and apple carplay support in EVs starting in 2024 to instead offer an infotainment system developed with google which will likely come with a subscription fee. Similarly, Toyota removed remote start functionality on vehicles where the fob connected direct to the car in favour of a system which connects to the car using the cell network to be able to start from farther away, and again this comes with a service fee.
I'm just about to take ownership of a Tesla model 3 long range highland and it will be interesting to learn about a SW driven (pun included) car. Users are constantly demanding new or improved features (sounds familiar to R5 users :)) from new iterations.

Why they can't include a head up display to improve the driving ergonomics is me but still the best package at this time. Quality out of the Shanghai factory is another unknown.

Not interested in advanced auto pilot let alone full self driving. Although not available for the 2024 model (yet), the Tesla Acceleration Boost SW download is a one time purchase. Clearly the car hardware is already capable although it isn't clear what are the downsides to battery or other hardware components by using it.

Upvote 0