Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Is Magic Lantern a thing? They don't even have 5DIV from 2016, there's no any recent Canon releases. Their latest builds are from 2018. I think the project is dead :(

I think if I recall, ML stopped after the 5D3 (so far as 5 bodies at least). Canon never really cared for the firmware meddling but seemed to turn a blind eye to it because it was getting them positive attention in the filmmaker world. I think I read somewhere that with the new firmware on the 5d4, ML couldn't get their magic to work. Now that we have RAW capability in Canon natively, it's a moot point. What ML did do is show Canon that there was a niche desire for that RAW capacity even in Hollywood productions as small form factor and crash cams to marry into ARRI RAW in post. Canon responded by giving Hollywood a native in camera capacity with the 1DX3 and I'd bet in MILCs to come (as we are still unsure on the R5 at this moment)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It seems my dad joke in response to SteveC may have fallen a little flat - and perhaps deservedly so!

The word "lunatic" (without the "r") actually does derive, ultimately, from "luna" for moon; it was believed at one time in the past that some forms of insanity were tied to the moon.

So--depending on how you look at it--it either wasn't a pun at all, or it was one with a great deal of irony built in. (I chose to look at it in the latter way.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Hopefully Canon has learnt from the EOS R. Some things on this camera just plain annoy, the touch screen that moves your focus point if your nose touches it, the badly positioned Touch Bar (bring back the joy stick) or the back button focus not falling properly where it should be. No problems with size or weight but the ergonomics were a step backwards for Canon. Yes you can disable the Touch Bar or the screen but what's the point of them disabled.

I will need a lot of convincing if the EOS R5 is a replacement for the 5DS. In typical 5D layout its pretty hard to beat in terms of layout.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The word "lunatic" (without the "r") actually does derive, ultimately, from "luna" for moon; it was believed at one time in the past that some forms of insanity were tied to the moon.

So--depending on how you look at it--it either wasn't a pun at all, or it was one with a great deal of irony built in. (I chose to look at it in the latter way.)
I do think that everyone knows it was a pun derived from luna, and it was without any irony.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Hopefully Canon has learnt from the EOS R. Some things on this camera just plain annoy, the touch screen that moves your focus point if your nose touches it, the badly positioned Touch Bar (bring back the joy stick) or the back button focus not falling properly where it should be. No problems with size or weight but the ergonomics were a step backwards for Canon. Yes you can disable the Touch Bar or the screen but what's the point of them disabled.

I will need a lot of convincing if the EOS R5 is a replacement for the 5DS. In typical 5D layout its pretty hard to beat in terms of layout.

That is why I never buy version 1.0 of any tech item! There are almost always bugs and compromises that tend to get sorted out by version 2.0. I don't need to be on the bleeding edge.

Upvote 0
I think if I recall, ML stopped after the 5D3 (so far as 5 bodies at least). Canon never really cared for the firmware meddling but seemed to turn a blind eye to it because it was getting them positive attention in the filmmaker world. I think I read somewhere that with the new firmware on the 5d4, ML couldn't get their magic to work. Now that we have RAW capability in Canon natively, it's a moot point. What ML did do is show Canon that there was a niche desire for that RAW capacity even in Hollywood productions as small form factor and crash cams to marry into ARRI RAW in post. Canon responded by giving Hollywood a native in camera capacity with the 1DX3 and I'd bet in MILCs to come (as we are still unsure on the R5 at this moment)
ML is still alive although they have not produced "official builds" lately. There seem to be a bunch of experimental projects still going on and experimental builds popping up every now and then. For stills, I used to enjoy their alternate line HDR feature on my late 5 D mark II.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

Since you claim that you don't want to solve the problem by disabling the touchscreen, I think what you're instead suggesting is that Canon develop a touchscreen that can tell a finger from a nose.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I wonder, if "magnesium body" stands for "timeless modern classic beautiful metal exterior design" like most Fujis and Sony A7 -series - or "ugly, plastic, but tough, owing to its magnesium shell, like Canon / Nikon DSLRs"? That's an important question I'd like to know the answer to. Thank you.
I think standard canon styling is what we would be expecting. I also think most would agree with you that Fuji cameras look pretty shmick. Not so sure many would agree that Sony fit that description though.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don't see why "magnesium body" should mean "obsolete approach to camera ergonomics".
Seriously. I like the look of my Pentax ME Super, which is a tiny film camera. But picking that thing up makes me appreciate the 80D a lot, and even the 600D (T3i) feels nice in comparison. There's nothing wrong with some curves. And especially on modern cameras, the classic look just feels like some silly statement to me.

I can see why people like the retro style, and I do think the look of a camera matters. The look of Nikons DSLR for example runs me the wrong way. But the ergonomics Canon has going on their DSLR are not worth being compromised for some aesthetics that make the camera seem like something it isn't in my opinion. If they are going to change what the RF lineup looks like, I hope making it more ancient and silver is far down the priority list.

Upvote 0
Ah, they are drumsticks! I wondered whether they were special toothpicks . Actually it's been a useful thread as it has got me testing my Kenco 3xTC on the 90D's liveview. It will useful on the R6, and I am not being a lunatic. The Kenco 3x is actually better than its 2x but is reported not to AF https://www.ephotozine.com/article/kenko-teleplus-teleconverters-2x-and-3x--review-14047 However, the previous lack of AF was due to the limits of the then bodies. With the R series (and the M), these old TCs focus well and will be good with the larger pixels of the R6.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Upvote 0
How did you come up with this?
I didn't come up with anything. I'm asking a question. The video in reference talks only of the R6, no mention of the R5. And it sounds like you have zero information to offer to the conversation, so why did you bother to chime in?

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I didn't come up with anything. I'm asking a question. The video in reference talks only of the R6, no mention of the R5. And it sounds like you have zero information to offer to the conversation, so why did you bother to chime in?

OK, let's start over with a kinder more gentler approach. First off my post to you was not combatative, ok? It was a simple question wondering what information you based your question upon.

This being the R6 IBIS thread is probably why there isn't talk of the R5, which does not preclude it not NOT having that feature, it's just at this point not all the facts are known. Your post suggested you had something. Sorry you took it the completely wrong way. Plus, are there rules about chiming in? No, my friend, there are not.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013

Yep, “lunatic” does derive from “luna”. For the record, since a few people reacted to my earlier post, I added the “r” to give a made up word (lunartic) because my intention was to not convey the first person to post a moon shot in the thread was mentally unstable, but to convey the person was mad (in the sense of enthusiastic) about the moon - in the context of SteveC’s use of the word “planet”. OK, I’m letting this go now :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
People get so easily triggered. Was there a full moon out recently?
If you are referring to my recent interaction with tmacioszek, by asking "How did you come up with this?" perhaps he was having a bad day and I got the brunt of it, who knows. I am positive my question to him was not phrased in any negative manner. However, context and keyboards, they just don't go hand in hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0