Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

Apr 25, 2011
I honestly don't understand why left or right eye dominance even makes a difference in photography. It does when aiming a hand gun. I am left eye dominant, but hell, I close my left eye when peeping through the viewfinder hole with my right.
I'm right eye dominant when using a handgun and "left eye dominant" when using a camera viewfinder. That's because I shoot a handgun with glasses and a camera without (and my right eye has a stronger astigmatism).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
He asked which camera "he" should be more excited about. Only he can answer that for himself and only one that can be answered once full specs come out. It's like asking what his favorite color should be. ;)

He did literally ask that, and I'm sure you and I agree it's not a very good question. I'd like to not get hung up on his grammar.
I think what he's really asking is "which camera will offer the best video capture performance for my purposes?" and so I hope said poster enjoyed this reply by PureClassA:

Which camera will likely have "more" video specs? The R5, if for no other reasonthan higher resolution mathematically affords it capabilities of 8K, which has been rumored to some extent.

Which camera seems more natively attuned to producing video? The R6 as it shares the same sensor as the 1DX3 (so far as we can tell) but we are NOT yet sure about what CPU it will employ. If we assume the Digic X also like the 1DX3, then this camera should be able to produce the same video specs as the 1DX3 including RAW 4k and RAW 5.5K sans DPAF when in RAW and/or FF mode. That said, the CROP mode for 4k on this camera would also be at 1.3x like the DX2 and DX3, which is a very negligible crop.

This would further beg the question, what sort of 4K or 1080p modes will/can we get from the 45MP sensor of the R5? That's a LOT of data to sling around, so yeah maybe 4K120 but it will come with a major crop north of 2x.

So if you are mostly shooting at 24 or 30 fps for video, then an R6 will do a splendid job, particularly if you outboard it to an Atomos Ninja V with 10 Bit 422 CLog gamma and record directly to ProRes 422 or ProResHQ.

The 1DX3 tops out at 4K60 on that 20MP sensor with a FF readout with the Digic X CPU. Can the 45MP R5 do a true FF readout with all those same modes? I wouldn't think so. Maybe some cropping. Maybe some line skipping. We dont really know yet. If it can read out the whole sensor at 4k60, then that Digic X is far more capable than the 1DX3 is letting on... which MAY be the case if it can do the same 20fps stills via electronic shutter that the 1DX3 can with less than half the pixel count.

I can say for ME that as of this moment with what limited info we have, I'm in the R6 camp as I don't need another stills centric camera. I'm much more interested in maximizing FF readout for video across the widest framerates and settings possible and that is much more likely with a 20MP sensor than a 45MP sensor.

If massive oversampling was truly yielding significantly better results, then you'd see high MP cinema cameras. The new C500Mk2 is a 20MP very similar in size to the DX3/R6 that shoots 6K. Only time you'll see 40MP in a cinema camera is if they are building a full blown 8K model

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
I am right handed and left-eye dominant so noticing what side your Wimberley is set for doesn't come into it. (Handedness and eye dominance are not necessarily the same - see the meta survey https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15513026

Yeah, I'm a righty with left eye dominance. I shoot rifles left handed, pistols righty with my left eye, and the same with cameras. I'm also left footed for whatever that is worth.

I'm just a very confusing human. ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
I honestly don't understand why left or right eye dominance even makes a difference in photography. It does when aiming a hand gun. I am left eye dominant, but hell, I close my left eye when peeping through the viewfinder hole with my right. Some of the stuff talked about here just seems weird sometimes. Yes, if you are using a camera as a "right eyed" person you could theoretically keep the left eye open. Why, I have no idea. However, if you are using it as a "left eyed" person, the right side of the camera blocks the right eye view anyway. BTW: Did you guys know photography isn't art and that DR is more important than any thread discussion?

Well, for me it's extremely fatiguing to shoot with my right eye because my brain doesn't like to work that way. If I shut my left eye, the muscles in both eyes strain and my vision starts to suffer. If I leave my left eye open and look through the camera with my right, my brain has a hard time not mixing the images. The EVF actually helps vs an OVF because I can keep my right eye open when using the camera with my left causing much less eye fatigue. I was never able to do that with an OVF and had to close my right eye affecting my peripheral vision and causing fatigue.

It's really not a huge deal, but you do need to make it work when most things are designed for right handed and eyed people. I don't get bent about it though, I just look for cameras that work better for me in that regard. I moved to the R from a 6D, so it's not like I'm really losing anything not being able to set my focus on the display. Even using the D-pad for moving the focus point, I'm ahead of where I was.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yeah, I'm a righty with left eye dominance. I shoot rifles left handed, pistols righty with my left eye, and the same with cameras. I'm also left footed for whatever that is worth.

I'm just a very confusing human. ;)
Nothing that amputation can’t cure.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
1. So what does that have to do with left/right eye dominance?
2. What does one do when one is zoomed more in one eye or the other?
3. Did you know photography isn't art? ;)
4. What does any of this have to do with the R6?

You said: "Yes, if you are using a camera as a "right eyed" person you could theoretically keep the left eye open. Why, I have no idea."

I gave you one reason why. To use the peripheral vision of the left eye to maintain situational awareness of what is going on outside the normally narrow field of view one is seeing through the viewfinder when shooting sports.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
One wonders no longer what it takes to justify dumbed down non scientific clickbait.

So the one who claims to be most dedicated to scientific inquiry refuses to acknowledge empirical evidence that some (perhaps many) ancient cultures had nicknames for the full moon at various times of the celestial year? Purely because he dislikes the way they have been sensationalized and embellished in more recent times? Yet has the gall to talk about the blind leading the stupid while smugly placing himself outside of that circle...

Which is worse? Someone who is born blind or someone who refuses to see?

If science is supposed to be the unbiased examination of empirical evidence and observations, what does it say about someone who appeals to science and yet refuses to see evidence placed directly in front of them because it doesn't mesh with their personal biases?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
Hopefully Canon has learnt from the EOS R. Some things on this camera just plain annoy, the touch screen that moves your focus point if your nose touches it, the badly positioned Touch Bar (bring back the joy stick) or the back button focus not falling properly where it should be. No problems with size or weight but the ergonomics were a step backwards for Canon. Yes you can disable the Touch Bar or the screen but what's the point of them disabled.

I will need a lot of convincing if the EOS R5 is a replacement for the 5DS. In typical 5D layout its pretty hard to beat in terms of layout.

If the R5 has 45MP why would it be a replacement for 5DS? A 5DS successor should have far higher MP (the rumored 75MP or 83MP).

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
So the one who claims to be most dedicated to scientific inquiry refuses to acknowledge empirical evidence that some (perhaps many) ancient cultures had nicknames for the full moon at various times of the celestial year? Purely because he dislikes the way they have been sensationalized and embellished in more recent times? Yet has the gall to talk about the blind leading the stupid while smugly placing himself outside of that circle...

Which is worse? Someone who is born blind or someone who refuses to see?

If science is supposed to be the unbiased examination of empirical evidence and observations, what does it say about someone who appeals to science and yet refuses to see evidence placed directly in front of them because it doesn't mesh with their personal biases?

You’re a piece of work. Must be fun at parties.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
The pixel race is over. A camera successor could and should improve in other ways than increasing resolution.

Disagree. There will always be sensors with higher pixel count. And there are many ways how to use such pixels either for sheer resilution for special scenarios, for high cropping power, for image stabilization etc. This race is by far not over given the current pixel pitch ...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
@joestopper No, we don't disagree. Sure there is still sensor development ongoing. Sure there are scenarios where more pixels are valuable.

The point is, that the majority of photographers do not benefit from routinely increasing the resolution any more. That's why the 1DX3 goes with 20 MP. That's why a 5D successor doesn't necessarily have to come with a significant increase in resolution.

No, that doesn't mean there is no demand for higher resolution models. Of course there is.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Ancient cultures, like the Babylonian, which is still used as the Jewish religious one today, had lunar-based calendars with each lunar month having a name based on events associated with that month - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylonian_calendar Some names do go back millennia and are not just based on astrology.

Indeed. And unrelated to my criticism of clickbait media using silly lunar nicknames not found in any science book.

I wonder when the term Supermoon was coined. Note that I’m not criticizing history reports or fiction reports. I’m criticizing news (weather/science/fact) reports.

Enjoy the magnificent Baloneymoon. Next month is the Malarkeymoon!

Upvote 0