Canon EOS R6 v1.7.0 update released

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The post you replied to stated ‘focus stacking’ which is synonymous with depth compositing. I think you are conflating those terms with ‘focus bracketing’, which is collecting multiple focal planes (a necessary prerequisite to stacking/compositing them).
No, I think scyrene's question was correct. The camera is capable of focus bracketing. the focus stacking/depth compositing part has to be done in software external to the camera. Some Panasonic cameras (like my little FZ300) do the whole bit in-camera and I think that was the point he was trying to make.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
No, I think scyrene's question was correct. The camera is capable of focus bracketing. the focus stacking/depth compositing part has to be done in software external to the camera. Some Panasonic cameras (like my little FZ300) do the whole bit in-camera and I think that was the point he was trying to make.
The R7/R3/R6II can do in-camera depth compositing as well.

Upvote 0
The post you replied to stated ‘focus stacking’ which is synonymous with depth compositing. I think you are conflating those terms with ‘focus bracketing’, which is collecting multiple focal planes (a necessary prerequisite to stacking/compositing them).
I was wondering if the person I replied to was conflating them, asking have they introduced the compositing with the firmware updates? My understanding was that the R6 could shoot automated focus stacks but not combine them in camera. It would be very helpful if they had added the latter.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My R3 does the whole bit in-camera, initially it could only focus bracket but the ability to stack (Canon calls it 'depth compositing') was added with the v1.2.0 firmware update.

I was wondering if the person I replied to was conflating them, asking have they introduced the compositing with the firmware updates? My understanding was that the R6 could shoot automated focus stacks but not combine them in camera. It would be very helpful if they had added the latter.
Apologies, I assumed he meant that depth compositing was added to the R6 with the v1.6.0 update and that you were conflating the terms. After checking the R6 firmware update history, I think perhaps neither of you was conflating the terms, but @BudgieB was conflating the R6 v1.6.0 update with the R3 v.1.2.0 update – updates to the R3, R5 and R6 were announced at the same time, and while the R3 got a bunch of new features including depth compositing and flash shooting while focus bracketing, the R6 got only a couple of feature updates and focus stacking/depth compositing was not one of them.

The R6 had focus bracketing at launch, it was not added in a firmware update. It does not have depth compositing (yet, I suppose there's always hope).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The R6 had focus bracketing at launch, it was not added in a firmware update. It does not have depth compositing (yet, I suppose there's always hope).
I won't hold my breath! Interesting that it was added to one body though. But apparently the R7 has the feature and it is a tempting second body for me. Mind you, the lens that would benefit most is naturally unable to make use of it (the MP-E).

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I won't hold my breath! Interesting that it was added to one body though. But apparently the R7 has the feature and it is a tempting second body for me. Mind you, the lens that would benefit most is naturally unable to make use of it (the MP-E).
I looked carefully at my R7 manual and the output is only available in JPEG or HEIF (no RAW or TIFF), so the feature will be useful, but in many cases, the composite will need to be rerun in software to recover the full dynamic range for toning adjustments. HEIF might offset that somewhat, but there is basically zero software support for HEIF yet outside of DPP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
I wouldn't expect them to add any features, so it's useful as I don't think I can update the firmware without a computer; all the same, I'd have loved the focus stacking ability from the newer models.
you can also upgrade via the Canon App on your mobile phone.

Upvote 0