Canon EOS R7 in the bitter cold

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I am heading to Mongolia in January to photograph the palas cat and whatever else comes our way. The average daily temperature will range between -10c to -25c.

I was wondering if anyone has shot with an EOS R7 body for an extended period time in the bitter cold and snow? From my understanding, the body isn't as well sealed as its EOS 7D series relative. If you have, did you have any issues worth noting? Any error codes, freezes or crazy battery drain? I can't find a review or two of the R7 used in those sorts of conditions.

I'm looking at the R7 w/100-500 as a second body to the SL2 (I'm trading in the SL2-S for more pixels) w/90-280 combo. I like the APS-C 2nd body and love the 100-500.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Unfortunately, I haven't even touched an R7 or used my R5 in anything below -8c.

I did want to ask, is there noticeable diffraction with the R7 at the F/7.1 of the 100-500?
Thanks
Well, it's technically there at f/7.1 as I think the DLA is f/5.2 with the R7. I'm not sure beyond pixel peeping if you're going to notice it. I don't think I'd ever stop it down further.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Craig, back home we don't know what minus temperatures are. However, as a regular switcher between the R7 and R5 and liking both, I would go for the R5 if you think you subjects will be darting around but the R7 will give you extra reach. On the other hand, there's the crowd who will shout the R5 will freeze you and the other crowd who will recommend it as a hand warmer. My recommendations for settings for the R7, keeping it simple, are BBF full screen tracking with eyeAF on the AF-on button and centre point BBF with the * button. Use ES as much as you can as there is shutter shock at some speeds with EFCS but not when rolling shutter will spoil a shot. Case 1 is recommended by some as it makes the AF stickier. Wegener, who is reliable, uses the same settings as me.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Craig, back home we don't know what minus temperatures are. However, as a regular switcher between the R7 and R5 and liking both, I would go for the R5 if you think you subjects will be darting around but the R7 will give you extra reach. On the other hand, there's the crowd who will shout the R5 will freeze you and the other crowd who will recommend it as a hand warmer. My recommendations for settings for the R7, keeping it simple, are BBF full screen tracking with eyeAF on the AF-on button and centre point BBF with the * button. Use ES as much as you can as there is shutter shock at some speeds with EFCS but not when rolling shutter will spoil a shot. Case 1 is recommended by some as it makes the AF stickier. Wegener, who is reliable, uses the same settings as me.
I hate using the R5 :p Much better joystick/scroll wheel placement on the R7, I also don't want another full-frame camera.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
In that case, have you considered the OM-1? They say: "Our dustproof and splashproof design is trusted by photographers from around the world, so we made it even better. The OM-1 features IP53* dustproof and waterproof performance. The tough, lightweight magnesium alloy body features sealing in all the right places, giving it reliability that goes further than ever with dustproof and splashproof performance, for reliability in more practical use situations. It is also freezeproof to -10°C for continued operation even at low temperatures. This construction makes the camera usable in the most punishing environments." Their 150-400mm lens looks great both for optical quality and weatherproofing but is $7500. I'm very happy with the R7 + RF 100-500mm or RF 100-400mm and they fit my needs fine, but for extreme conditions, the OM-1 does look rather good.

Upvote 0