Canon exec confirms that the EOS-1D X Mark III is Canon’s last DSLR

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The writing has obviously been on the wall for a long time, but a Canon executive has confirmed that the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III will be Canon’s last DSLR.
This information falls in line with 2022 potentially being the year of the Camera body as Canon modernizes its lineup. I also believe the EOS M lineup will suffer the same fate as Canon moves to one mount for all.
In an interview held by Yomiuri Shimbun (one of the five major newspapers in Japan) with Canon’s Chairman and CEO Fujio Mitarai, we can learn about Canon’s strategy regarding its Imaging System division. “It is natural that mirrorless cameras will become the mainstream of digital cameras… The market needs are acceleratingly shifting to mirrorless cameras. In line with this, we are steadily shifting manufacturing” Mitarai stated (Google translated). According to Mitarai, Canon will end the development and production of the flagship model of the digital SLR cameras a few years from now, stating “Canon’s SLR flagship...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
RIP DSLR’s it’s been fun shooting with them over the years, but time and tech moves on.

I can’t imagine many people being advised to buy new 6D II or 850D these days unless desperate storekeepers are needing to shift old stock, somehow selling them off to newbies.

I still think there is a market for a tiny compact interchangeable lens body I.E the M Series, M6 II M200, M50 II plus future upgrades. The RF mount is surely too big to accommodate that type of compact system! Or maybe not!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Am I missing something? Nowhere does he say that the 1dxmk3 is the last DSLR - He says it's the last model in the EOS-1 lineup.
-“The latest model EOS-1D X Mark III released in 2020 will be the last model in fact”.- It seems
to plainly imply that it’s the last DSLR, not the last DSLR in the EOS-1 series, as he makes no specific mention of the EOS-1 series. Just the last model. Nothing smoke and mirrors here, it’s plainly stated.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
-“The latest model EOS-1D X Mark III released in 2020 will be the last model in fact”.- It seems
to plainly imply that it’s the last DSLR, not the last DSLR in the EOS-1 series, as he makes no specific mention of the EOS-1 series. Just the last model. Nothing smoke and mirrors here, it’s plainly stated.
This is the quote :
“Canon’s SLR flagship model is known as the “EOS-1” series, the first of which appeared in 1989. The latest model EOS-1D X Mark III released in 2020 will be the last model in fact”.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Am I missing something? Nowhere does he say that the 1dxmk3 is the last DSLR - He says it's the last model in the EOS-1 lineup.
Historically speaking did Canon come out with a new film SLR or other film camera after they moved to a newer system?

Sales volume may dictate whether future R&D spending will continue.

EF mount will now be positioned as a budget product line until such a time that units sold arent economical to continue selling.

I really wish I never bought beyond the 3 fast L zooms.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Can we assume no more Rebels and xxD ?

While machine translations are great for getting a general idea, they are horrendous at accurate translation, context and subtlety. We can all speculate on the future of DSLRs, but don't read more into this than the most rudimentary concepts. My interpretation is that the 1Dx III is likely the last of the 1 series DSLRs. But beyond that, no definitive statements about the entire DSLR line, including Rebels. Personally I wouldn't be betting on future full frame DSLRs and expect a gradual phasing out of APS-C DSLRs. But, I wouldn't base that on this brief and flawed translation.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
A rather misleading click-bait headline!

Canon are saying that the 1Dxiii will be the last "flagship" DSLR, they are NOT saying that it with be the "last DSLR"

You can bet your life that there'll be at least one more budget APS-C Rebel model, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was also an upgrade to the very popular 90D.

But don't expect a DSLR replacement for the 5DMkiv, or the 5DSR.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
After acquiring my first mirrorless, I had little interest in using my DSLR. Perhaps many others feel the same way.
I've got an R5 and a 5DMkiv - I actually used my 5DMkiv today, and really enjoyed the experience.

DSLRs are a bit heavy, a bit noisy, the sensors are outdated, they don't have IBIS, and they can't track subjects very well, but the AF on the 5DMkiv is lightning fast, and the optical viewfinder is a joy to use - instantly available and with zero lag. If my R5 suddenly disappeared, I'd be just as happy with the DSLR. It's also more than capable of handling "difficult" subjects like BIF, macro etc. I find it rather sad that MILCs have all but ousted DSLRs from the marketplace.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
He also doesn't say a thing about EOS-M, but Craig can't miss an opportunity to take a shot at M. Methinks the whole post is clickbait.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0