Canon flash

P

Pookie

Re: Canon TTL flash what could be worse ?

CanonFanBoy said:
Pookie said:
Click said:
Pookie said:
Well, I covered the Seal Team Six when they took down Osama but my speedlite in TTL wouldn't cooperate so I used the muzzle flash from my dual 1911's to light the shots. The trick is timing the shots and then picking up the camera to catch the action ::)

LOL ;D

Whaaa... don't believe me Click ;D here's a selfie I took with Cairo on our last jump, in TTL.

I just don't see how you controlled the drone, set the exposure and comforted Cairo at the same time. Truly a master.

Pookie doesn't need a rip cord either. He's a professional ripper himself. :D :D :D

Practice CFB :)

Upvote 0
Re: Canon TTL flash

hne said:
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/E-TTL_II.do

thanks for the link, that sheds some light on the flash spot metering situation. Here's the way I read it: 10 years ago a lot of people used focus and recompose, so Canon decided to handle that situation as the default and make people who don't use focus and recompose use FEL.

Granted focus and recompose is still popular with the 6D. But with a lot of modern bodies focus and recompose isn't necessary in most situations so it would be very nice to have an option for flash spot metering without using FEL.

Upvote 0
rlarsen said:
Complete newbie to this forum and not sure how to use this site from my phone so many apologies if I haven't followed any protocol. I have this problem...a head banging potential camera throwing feet stomping throwing my toys out the pram problem. ;D

Canon 6d (new), speedlite 580ex ii (second hand eBay works fine on camera) yn622c ii off camera triggers X 2 (new)...assemble all as per instructions....fires when on e-ttl and m mode but photos are still dark. I cannot fathom why....can anyone please help me find an answer? Really getting hacked off that I cannot solve this problem. Any advice appreciated :-*

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Tmarie said:
rlarsen said:
Complete newbie to this forum and not sure how to use this site from my phone so many apologies if I haven't followed any protocol. I have this problem...a head banging potential camera throwing feet stomping throwing my toys out the pram problem. ;D

Canon 6d (new), speedlite 580ex ii (second hand eBay works fine on camera) yn622c ii off camera triggers X 2 (new)...assemble all as per instructions....fires when on e-ttl and m mode but photos are still dark. I cannot fathom why....can anyone please help me find an answer? Really getting hacked off that I cannot solve this problem. Any advice appreciated :-*

Maybe this can help.
Check exposure and flash compensation.
Check your shutter speed and synch speed.
Double check all settings for exposure
try each flash separately, and then again in the mixed environment.
Check yn web site for bugs
make sure all firmware up to date.
That's all I have.
Good luck
Scott

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Agree with Scott's advice.

When you say "m" mode, are you referring to the camera's manual mode for setting shutter speed and fstop? That's usually the best way to use flash. Set your shutter speed at something safe like 1/60 and your fstop at something conservative, like f5.6. If it still doesn't work, then there is probably something else causing problems.

I've used the 622 triggers in the past with multiple 580 EX II and they worked quite well. If the triggers are firing the flash, then there is mostly likely a problem with the flash and the sync. As long as your shutter is set for a 1/60 or 1/125 it should work.

Still not working? I'm out of ideas.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2015
can I suggest a very simple test:

set your camera to "A" mode and fire your flash in ETTL-II mode. see if the shot is still dark.
it will ikely be better exposed than previously. in 'A" and "P" mode, camera use the flash as Key light rather than as a fill light in AV / TV mode, for an instance...to establish that your flash works fine with your camera in ETTL-II mode, lets take all the unkowns out of the equation.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Always when I'm suspecting something with flash, I put it either pointing completely away, or pointing close by at a object or wall. Then fire test shot. If close to object or wall, it should be really bring compared to surrounding. If not, timing is wrong. Or when firing flash wrong direction, if that didn't change the picture brightness compared to earlier, again timing is off. Simple troubleshooting. Then when you have that done, you can try changing FEC and other settings to see which one is causing the too dark picture (assuming that first step proved that the flash is firing at correct timing).

Upvote 0