Canon has pulled firmware v1.3.2 for the EOS 5D Mark IV

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I already have an R5 and I have no intentions of ever giving up DSLRs.
Just out of real interest in photography: can you tell me why you do not completely switch to ML cameras?

I still live in the OFV world and use DSLRs plus vintage film cameras, and I am quite happy so far with my DSLRs. But I realized (by testing different ML cameras from Leica to Sony) that EVFs are now so mature since about 3-4 years that for me there are only a few arguments left for digital cameras with OVFs:

(1) especially for wildlife shooters: no battery drain when you frequently peer through your tele lens and wait for action
(2) no visible VF noise when you shoot in the night - but that comes with a pretty dark OVF
(3) from an artist's viewpoint: no room for imagination left anymore, you see what you get with an EVF. But for me, imagination is much more important for film photography, there you can't peer and have to wait until the film rolls are developed.

In fact, IMO DSLRs were always intermediate tech until real digital cameras arrive, but for many years they represented the best tech you could get. Plus, even today's very good ML cameras aren't completely digital, they still are hybrid electro-mechanical devices with the mechanical shutters they yet need for fast action. Electronic global shutters are getting better of course, so it is just a matter of time until you can get a purely digital camera in the FF ILC market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Just out of real interest in photography: can you tell me why you do not completely switch to ML cameras?
I just prefer an OVF.
My other mirrorless camera is a G9.
I mainly got the G9 and R5 for their superior image stabilization.
Canon and Nikon could have put IBIS into DSLRs but they just decided not to.

I have not used enough mirrorless cameras to say DSLRs are better.
The R5 is the best mirrorless camera that I ever used and nothing about it makes me want to give up DSLRs.
I do love the compact size so I would not sell it if Canon were to come out with the 5D Mark V but I would buy the 5D in a hot second if it had a flip screen and IBIS.

Now that Canon has a smart hot-shoe, they can make an OVF for DSLRs and give us the best of both worlds.
I still have a Rebel camera (Thanks Magic Lantern) but for small travel cameras, I would buy an EF-M camera over an APS-C DSLR any day.
The one big advantage of an OVF is that it can be removable.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Really good summary, technically. Same opinion here. But you forgot the price argument ;) for both bodies and lenses :cry:
Yeah, the price tag is a bit funny, given the fact that DSLRs should be more complex in production with the mirror box and a separate phase AF system. Okay, in Canon's world, other than Pentax, there is no IBIS included in the DSLRs, other than in an R5/6.

But I guess Canon simply tries to lift the price level with a view on the fact, that the ILC FF systems will always be a special market, and the compact's market is eaten up by smartphones. Plus, they have to return their R&D investments for the RF system, and they surely aren't small, given the relatively fast growth of this new product section. Looks like they currently succeed with this strategy. Well, on the other side, a profitable camera maker is always good for those how have massively invested in the gear of that brand.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I just prefer an OVF.
My other mirrorless camera is a G9.
I mainly got the G9 and R5 for their superior image stabilization.
Canon and Nikon could have put IBIS into DSLRs but they just decided not to.

I have not used enough mirrorless cameras to say DSLRs are better.
The R5 is the best mirrorless camera that I ever used and nothing about it makes me want to give up DSLRs.
I do love the compact size so I would not sell it if Canon were to come out with the 5D Mark V but I would buy the 5D in a hot second if it had a flip screen and IBIS.

Now that Canon has a smart hot-shoe, they can make an OVF for DSLRs and give us the best of both worlds.
I still have a Rebel camera (Thanks Magic Lantern) but for small travel cameras, I would buy an EF-M camera over an APS-C DSLR any day.
The one big advantage of an OVF is that it can be removable.
Thank you, now I understand your comment better. Hm, a last generation DSLR with a smart hot shoe for an additional EVF - interesting idea...

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Yeah, the price tag is a bit funny, ...

But I guess Canon simply tries to lift the price level with a view on the fact, that the ILC FF systems will always be a special market, and the compact's market is eaten up by smartphones. ...
Exactly my thoughts, again. :)
Keep turnover high with lower number of items sold. And with less items R&D per item gets higher.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Yeah, the price tag is a bit funny, given the fact that DSLRs should be more complex in production with the mirror box and a separate phase AF system
I hear this a lot but a proper EVF is a pretty expensive piece of equipment.
Especially, if it is high resolution and has a 120 Mhz refresh rate,
The cheapest Canon DSLR is $400 MSRP with a lower street price, so how much can an OVF cost?
Their cheapest mirrorless is $500 MSRP and comes with no EVF.
Canon sells their optional EVF for $200 and it is not bad but not the best.

Upvote 0
Since I installed version 1.3.2, the self timer to 10 seconds no longer works!!!!
The contdown start, reaches 1 and then restart again from 10... an so on in loop to infinity!!!

:mad:

I applied a downgrade to previous version (1.3.1) and the issue above is not more exit !!!! Therefore, the is an issue of 1.3.2!!! -.-'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It was a joke
Well it didn't look like a joke especially the "Canon never used to be this slack, so many pulled fw updates last few years. " part which does have some truth. To their defense they try to fix their mess and sometimes introduce new features.
The Microsoft one yes that was evident but only that part.
The first two didn't seem a joke.

The issue with writing is that we do not interact with anyone, we do not see them or talk to them so as to understand their intentions. We cannot see if they are smiling or if they look serious.E2Lr2FzUcAEV490.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0