Canon has released a list of RF lenses that they can’t meet the demand for

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Whilst I understand your idea it unfortunately doesn't give Canon a good forecast about the real demand... effectively, potential buyers are attempting to stockpile by buying as much as possible which is what the component buyers are doing.

My concern is that when Canon have sufficient stock/capacity to sell then the demand will dry up by cancelled orders causing excess pre-sales inventory. You might say that is a good thing for consumers as there will be sales discounts to move the excess stock but we do want Canon to be reasonably profitable in the long term to maintain/increase their R&D budget.

Sounds like you are more worried about Canon than yourselves. Is that your fanboy-ism at it's peak or jealousy that you paid the full price and no one else should get at a better price? Corporations know how to milk their customers. Canon is yet another corporate milking customers very well for years, So you please do not worry about them.

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
I lucked out on the 100-500 a few months ago. I just happened to check Amazon and they were showing out but expecting more in a date that was about 10 days out. I ordered immediately and they shipped one to me on the date they said they would be getting some in. I have to admit I’m not as impressed with it as the Internet hype. A lot of the overlapping range with the EF 100-400 is about 1/3 a stop slower because it transitions to the slower apertures earlier in the zoom range. It is a sharp lens with good IS though.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you are more worried about Canon than yourselves. Is that your fanboy-ism at it's peak or jealousy that you paid the full price and no one else should get at a better price? Corporations know how to milk their customers. Canon is yet another corporate milking customers very well for years, So you please do not worry about them.
I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy. I use Canon because it fits what I want from photography. I have no issues with Sony, Nikon etc having competitive products.
I paid full price for my R5 12 months ago and have no regrets. I could have waited and got it cheaper but that is okay.
I have also bought many lenses and bodies second hand and got my RF100-500mm and RF70-200/2.8 at 20% off but had to wait for them to be in stock. I didn't place orders at multiple resellers and then cancel them.

I have invested a lot of money into the Canon eco-system and it is important for me that Canon be there in the future to not only support the warranties and out-of-warranty repairs but also to introduce new features to leverage my sunk cost. I have concerns about Nikon's long term viability and you should too as good competition - especially in a declining market - is essential to maintain cost-value to consumers. The exact opposite to milking customers. Sometimes the first causualty of decling profit margins is R&D spend.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I feared this would be a problem with the 14-35 so I actually have a 12:20am preorder placed at two camera retailers. I would typically not care that much about a camera lens, but of all my lenses, my ultra-wide is the lens I use the most for work around town. So I would like to replace my massive chunk of a lens that is the EF 16-35 f/2.8L III USM w/adaptor as soon as I possibly can. Not that I have anything against that incredible lens, but I would love to have an ultra wide I can rock on a gimbal as well as in native mount.

The supply shortages have been a massive problem across every industry I can think of. I don’t see much motivation to create a semiconductor manufacturer in the States - especially with $15/hr minimum wage on its way in…that would drive electronic costs through the roof. So I honestly fear this is a shortage that will not end anytime soon and it has already begun to impact company values and sales projections.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
The Chip shortage man... everywhere one turns things are hard to come by.
It's not just chip shortages, it's the ticks(scalpers) who are further complicating the situation. Pretty sure like camera bodies you will see these lenses on ebay at higher prices and readily available compared to retail stores where they are going to be on backorder.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Whilst I understand your idea it unfortunately doesn't give Canon a good forecast about the real demand... effectively, potential buyers are attempting to stockpile by buying as much as possible which is what the component buyers are doing.

My concern is that when Canon have sufficient stock/capacity to sell then the demand will dry up by cancelled orders causing excess pre-sales inventory. You might say that is a good thing for consumers as there will be sales discounts to move the excess stock but we do want Canon to be reasonably profitable in the long term to maintain/increase their R&D budget.
No Canon and every retailer have a pretty good idea of the mentality of the average US pre order douches.

They have been through it many times before and will anticipate and have the percentages for the cancelled orders because of people that place multiple orders across retailers, people that are speculating and ordering in the hope of a quick turnaround resale, people that genuinely cancel their preorder because their circumstances change, and a thousand other scenarios I wouldn’t dream of.

The people I feel bad for are the enthusiasts that do genuinely want that lens of their lifetime but circumstances change during this lengthy waiting phase, and working pros trying to make ‘it’ work with what they have knowing they can only invest x amount and the lens they can’t get hold of is that investment for this year.

If I was shooting with only RF mount bodies and was being forced to buy an EF 400 f2.8 because I couldn’t get the needed RF version I’d be in a quandary.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...I don’t see much motivation to create a semiconductor manufacturer in the States - especially with $15/hr minimum wage on its way in…that would drive electronic costs through the roof...

I seriously doubt that a $15 minimum wage would add significantly to the cost. I'd happily pay the extra cost to know that the components aren't being made in some Uyghur slave labor camp.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
OTOH, there are some (I’m not one of them) who shoot landscapes with great whites, and for them the drop-in vari-ND adapter may be a benefit. It certainly will be for my TS-E 17 and 11-24, when I start traveling again.
There also might be some people who want the control ring. For them, the only choice would be the EF lens with an adapter.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I had the impression that the EOS R mount adaptor was also hard to source which was unusual as there shouldn't be many (if at all) chips in it.
The crazy thing about the adapters are that here in the U.S. they are hard to come by new, but every few weeks Canon sells a bunch of them as "refurbished" on their website.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It's not just chip shortages, it's the ticks(scalpers) who are further complicating the situation. Pretty sure like camera bodies you will these lenses on ebay at higher prices and readily available compared to retail stores where they are going to be on backorder.
No, it runs much deeper than that, truck driver shortages in the USA, container shortages in China and the Far East, global trade is utterly messed up because Companies cancelled orders and laid off staff in anticipation of a slow recovery.

But that didn’t happen, the USA, the powerhouse of the global consumer market, never dropped off and now companies can’t ramp up fast enough, they can’t replace the orders that were cancelled and even if they can make the product they can’t ship it. And even if they do get it shipped it it can’t be landed or then delivered in the USA.

Blame Toyota and the JIT manufacturing system. Funniest thing is Toyota learnt their lesson about supply chains from microchips after the earthquake in Japan a few years ago, so who is the only car manufacturer currently at full production? Toyota.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Overreact much?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I seriously doubt that a $15 minimum wage would add significantly to the cost. I'd happily pay the extra cost to know that the components aren't being made in some Uyghur slave labor camp.
Indeed. I saw some financial article somewhere that laid out the rise in price of a McDonalds if everybody was paid a wage they could actually live on, it was something like a 4c rise in the price of a burger. Meanwhile Walmart’s, the largest corporation in the USA, pays it’s workers so poorly they are the largest benefactors of supplementary government benefits in the world. Yes, Walmart has it’s employees pay subsidized by every USA tax payer.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The crazy thing about the adapters are that here in the U.S. they are hard to come by new, but every few weeks Canon sells a bunch of them as "refurbished" on their website.
FWIW, the control ring EF-RF adapter (new) is in stock on Canon USA’s site right now.

Doesn’t help me as I have the vanilla one and want the drop-in filter one, but maybe it helps someone…

Upvote 0