Canon has released a list of RF lenses that they can’t meet the demand for

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Lucky is right. My local retailer received my RF 100 mm macro, but did not receive any shipments of the RF 400 mm f2.8 lens. Might I ask where you purchased? I am hopeful that I will have the RF 400 mm f2.8 by the end of Aug / early September.
Would you mind sharing where you ordered your 100mm macro?

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Lots of questions.

Why are they only listing these lenses?
Why are they saying "unexpected demand?" The 100-500 was announced a year ago and the 14-35 was announced about a week ago. How can demand be "unexpected" both for a lens that's been on the market for a year and a lens that just began accepting pre-orders a week ago? Do they even know yet what the demand is for the 14-35?
Is this the full statement from Canon? No mention of shortages of components? No reference to COVID-19 impact?
No indication of when they expect supplies to catch up to demand?
Are we talking a two month delay or a six month delay?
Likely, the unexpected demand is a result of R body sales that are exceeding expectations. The more RP, R, R6, R5, and soon R3, bodies they sell, the more demand for RF glass than Canon can currently supply. The just my guess.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
I had the impression that the EOS R mount adaptor was also hard to source which was unusual as there shouldn't be many (if at all) chips in it.
I’ve observed the same thing. You may get lucky finding a control ring adapter, but the basic EF-RF adapter seems unavailable. So, if you can’t adapt EF glass, and most RF glass is unavailable, does it really make sense to buy an R body at the moment? Not a good situation.

Upvote 0
Lucky is right. My local retailer received my RF 100 mm macro, but did not receive any shipments of the RF 400 mm f2.8 lens. Might I ask where you purchased? I am hopeful that I will have the RF 400 mm f2.8 by the end of Aug / early September.
I going to pickup my 400/2.8 this afternoon.. I got mine from Pictureline...

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
My recent experiences with RF lenses and Adorama have been...

* I have ordered the 100-500 December 31 2020 and received it January 21 2021 (21 days)
* I have ordered the 50 1.2 March 18 2021 and received it April 8 2021 (21 days)
* I did pre-order the RF 100 macro when announced (April 14 2021) and just got an email from Adorama that they are shipping mine to me today :love: I assume that the 100 macro is less exotic than the others and more available generally speaking, but still happy about that.

So I guess I have been lucky? Let me tell you that Broncolor stuff takes way longer... even modifiers with no electronic parts whatsoever!

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Okay, I guess I should have been more explicit. Since the announcement that "demand" was greater than expected came within days of the announcement of the lens itself and before they even know what preorders retailers are receiving,
With what delay do they receive the information about the first-day preorders?

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Upvote 0
LOL I can't believe the 600 and 400 are on that list. Laziest update they've ever done and no need when the EF III versions work just as well with the EF-RF adpater, which is just integrated into the RF versions. I wonder how many people will sell their EF III versions to buy an identical RF version. Priority should have been true native RF 300 f/2.8 and 500 f/4.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
Okay, I guess I should have been more explicit. Since the announcement that "demand" was greater than expected came within days of the announcement of the lens itself and before they even know what preorders retailers are receiving, they could not possibly know what the demand really was and the more honest answer would be that "we announced this lens and set an availability date that we knew was bs when we made the announcement."
I am just guessing here. I think the first 1-2 hours after pre-order started would have already provided sufficient data for Canon to get a good estimate of the demand, so saying that the demand was higher than expected 'only' a few days after announcement is not outside the realm of believability. I think Canon also indicated that the 14-35 F4 would ship as originally planned. This announcement was to tell those not near the front of the queue that they would have a longer wait than normally expected.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Seems I was lucky to get my RF 100-500mm with a discount this Spring - I am still getting mails from some suppliers like B&H that its "out of stock". :oops:

However, a good thing that Canon can see that there are sales to support the release of more new RF-camera bodies and people are not just hanging on to their old EF-lenses in spite of the transition costs.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2021
I’m also not planning to replace my EF 600/4 with the RF version.
Go on, you know you want to. A price crash when the second-hand market is flooded with useless EF 600mm lenses is the only chance I have of being able to afford one ;)
[Unless everybody decides not to buy the RF version, in which case it's price might crash!]

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
My recent experiences with RF lenses and Adorama have been...

* I have ordered the 100-500 December 31 2020 and received it January 21 2021 (21 days)
* I have ordered the 50 1.2 March 18 2021 and received it April 8 2021 (21 days)
* I did pre-order the RF 100 macro when announced (April 14 2021) and just got an email from Adorama that they are shipping mine to me today :love: I assume that the 100 macro is less exotic than the others and more available generally speaking, but still happy about that.

So I guess I have been lucky? Let me tell you that Broncolor stuff takes way longer... even modifiers with no electronic parts whatsoever!
Quick update the new RF 100mm macro has arrived home!

I've just taken it out of the box and mounted it on my R5 to make sure it is not dead. It isn't :rolleyes: :)

2 things to share:
  1. it is actually a little bit longer than the EF 100 macro L IS + EF-RF adapter. I guess this is mostly due to the higher magnification power. It is not particularly fatter than the EF predecessor. Long and svelte compared to the RF 85mm f/1.2
  2. I had a moment of anxiety when I realized that I could not turn the SA control ring... it took me a couple of minutes to find the lock switch for it since it is on the other side of the barrel compared to the AF, IS and fl limiter switches, a place I usually do not look at with any other lens (apart maybe with TS-E ones)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2021
Canon cant even make their adapters and keep them in stock, forcing users to buy garbage budget lenses or mortgage their home for $3k lenses if you can even find one due to their lack of preparedness. Nikon also issued a similar apology a few days ago, and these companies look really bad for not being able to deliver to customers shelling out thousands only to be left with their pants down. You know who's not having any problems keeping their products on hand for their customers? Sony. Glad I switched to Sony recently, Canon is an inept company these days.

• Haha
Upvote 0