Canon has released a list of RF lenses that they can’t meet the demand for

Jun 29, 2021
wouldn't it make more sense to buy the Ef version of that 400mm since they're essentially the same? That way you'd at least have the flexibility of using it on a Canon DSLR if you need to.
Yea, and never be able to use it on your R camera? Canon cant even keep their EF mount adapters in stock for months now. What a joke.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2021
Likely, the unexpected demand is a result of R body sales that are exceeding expectations. The more RP, R, R6, R5, and soon R3, bodies they sell, the more demand for RF glass than Canon can currently supply. The just my guess.
They can't give the R and RP away, that's why you see them on fire sales pretty much every holiday for dirt cheap. They must have a huge amount of them sitting around still. and pretty much no one is buying the R6, its always in stock and there are at least 2-3 a week up for sale on FM. The only cameras they are really selling is the R5. The rest is just marketing BS to make it seem like there is such high demand they cant keep up when in reality, they have become an inept company.

• Haha
Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
I received an email from Canon USA this morning saying that my preorder of the RF 100mm macro is scheduled to ship in the next 72 hours but then goes on to say that preorders shipment dates are subject to change. I was looking forward to receiving it but now I’m worried it might get delayed… :mad:(n)
After I read your message yesterday, I went to Canon USA and "pre-ordered" the lens. It shipped today. Doesn't seem like much of a shortage, but thanks for the heads-up that they had some!

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com

Attachments

• Atalopedes campestris, sachem skipper 210708 9-3.jpg
    Atalopedes campestris, sachem skipper 210708 9-3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
They can't give the R and RP away, that's why you see them on fire sales pretty much every holiday for dirt cheap. They must have a huge amount of them sitting around still. and pretty much no one is buying the R6, its always in stock and there are at least 2-3 a week up for sale on FM. The only cameras they are really selling is the R5. The rest is just marketing BS to make it seem like there is such high demand they cant keep up when in reality, they have become an inept company.
R6 is on backorder at Adorama. How do you know what is selling and what isn't? You don't. You just made up an alternate reality to fit your view. The R is priced at $1,799. Hardly "giving them away". That's only $200 less than what I paid near 2 years ago.

BTW: What the hell does the # of cameras for sale at FM have to do with it? 2 or 3? wow! People are running from the r6. /s

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
No, it runs much deeper than that, truck driver shortages in the USA, container shortages in China and the Far East, global trade is utterly messed up because Companies cancelled orders and laid off staff in anticipation of a slow recovery.

But that didn’t happen, the USA, the powerhouse of the global consumer market, never dropped off and now companies can’t ramp up fast enough, they can’t replace the orders that were cancelled and even if they can make the product they can’t ship it. And even if they do get it shipped it it can’t be landed or then delivered in the USA.

Blame Toyota and the JIT manufacturing system. Funniest thing is Toyota learnt their lesson about supply chains from microchips after the earthquake in Japan a few years ago, so who is the only car manufacturer currently at full production? Toyota.
I watched a great YouTube video that broke all that down last night. Fascinating stuff.

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
I received an email from Canon USA this morning saying that my preorder of the RF 100mm macro is scheduled to ship in the next 72 hours but then goes on to say that preorders shipment dates are subject to change. I was looking forward to receiving it but now I’m worried it might get delayed… :mad:(n)
Well, Canon USA made good on their July 8th and shipped it to me overnight, morning deliver so I should have received it last Friday. Unfortunately they shipped it FEDEX which used to be a world class shipping company. Over the last few years their service has deteriorated badly. According to their tracking it didn’t even get to my town until 1:30pm, still time for a delivery. It never changed to out for delivery. Today they stopped by with it during the one hour of the day that I wasn’t available so I ended up having to make the 30 mile round trip to retrieve it from them late this evening. 4 days for an overnight delivery and I had to deliver it myself… :LOL:

Attachments

• 05D3CDE7-FFA0-42DC-BC6F-30DCC7C3222D.jpeg
    05D3CDE7-FFA0-42DC-BC6F-30DCC7C3222D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
Upvote 0