Canon Introduces the DP-V3010 4K Monitor

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Rienzphotoz said:
keithfullermusic said:
Who is this product for?
There are lots of production houses and ad agencies that use monitors like this.

Quite right. This obviously isn't pitched at sole-trader photographers or even modestly large studios.
It's the big production houses that will welcome these panels and willingly pay the high asking price.

Sanjay's post is completely right in his humorous, inverse way. That post cracked me up.
Very careful market research would have preceded development of this premium business product.

-pw

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
verysimplejason said:
Rienzphotoz said:
verysimplejason said:
Canon, do you have "entry-level" version? ;D
Yes Canon has many entry level monitors ... they are on the back of every Canon digital camera ;)

That would be nice but they're too small. A 10-14 inch perhaps? And priced 1/100? :D
Hmmm ... 4000/100 = $400 monitor ... not a bad idea, but I'm pretty certain that some of the cribbing CR members will than complain that it isn't as good as the $40000 monitor ;D

Upvote 0
I was thinking "darn this thing's gonna cost over 4K" and oh dear LOL, ten times higher... how accurate do you want to be with the colors when everyones watching your stuff on uncalibrated cheapo screens anyways?
I want my screen to be near perfect but even for printing standards...

Well, what better display to match your $23,000 C500 and $10,000 set of lenses?
Yeah yeah this is for big budget studios and productions yeah...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Nishi Drew said:
I was thinking "darn this thing's gonna cost over 4K" and oh dear LOL, ten times higher... how accurate do you want to be with the colors when everyones watching your stuff on uncalibrated cheapo screens anyways?
I want my screen to be near perfect but even for printing standards...

Well, what better display to match your $23,000 C500 and $10,000 set of lenses?
Yeah yeah this is for big budget studios and productions yeah...
People aren't just watching "stuff on uncalibrated cheapo screens" ... there are massive billboards, awesome magazine images etc ... big corporations (e.g. Apple, Microsoft, Nike, Castrol, Shell, Coca Cola, Pepsi etc and even millions of other smaller companies) demand accurate color reproduction of their logos and other content in print media, even the slightest color difference is outright rejected ... even the pizza hut colors on pizza boxes require accurate calibration. My bro-in-law has a printing press and caters to small businesses but around ten years ago he got a small job from Castrol to print some posters for an ad campaign in small towns and villages of India ... his sample prints were rejected thrice because one of the colors was slightly off (which by the way was indistinguishable to me) ... now image what would be the standards required for bigger ad campaigns in major cities like Newyork, Paris, London, Tokyo etc

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
photonius said:
How come nobody complained yet about Dynamic Range?
This thing with a 1:2000 ratio can only do 11 stops. Totally useless for a Nikon D800.

;)
I guess the DR cribbers were too busy trying to figures out new excuses for the not so happening sales figures of Sony a7r and the Nikon DF ;D

Upvote 0
mrsfotografie said:
I want to bet that Sony actually makes the screen itself...

Or LG. I heard somewhere that almost all screens such as phones, laptops etc are manufactured by LG. Maybe nowadays Canon do too? Have they ever made screens before?

[one google search later ...]

Edit - Canon weren't on the list of LCD makers on Wikipedia but LG certainly were.

From wikipedia -

"They (LG) are one of the main licensed manufacturers of the more color-accurate IPS panels used by Dell, NEC, ASUS, Apple (including iMacs, iPads, iPhones, iPod touches) and others, which were developed by Hitachi."

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Zv said:
mrsfotografie said:
I want to bet that Sony actually makes the screen itself...

Or LG. I heard somewhere that almost all screens such as phones, laptops etc are manufactured by LG. Maybe nowadays Canon do too? Have they ever made screens before?

[one google search later ...]

Edit - Canon weren't on the list of LCD makers on Wikipedia but LG certainly were.

From wikipedia -

"They (LG) are one of the main licensed manufacturers of the more color-accurate IPS panels used by Dell, NEC, ASUS, Apple (including iMacs, iPads, iPhones, iPod touches) and others, which were developed by Hitachi."

Samsung and Sharp do plenty of stuff for Apple as well.

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
verysimplejason said:
Canon, do you have "entry-level" version? ;D
Yes Canon has many entry level monitors ... they are on the back of every Canon digital camera ;)

Interestingly, while reading wikipedia articles about LCD screens, I found out that the first ever LCD incorporated in a consumer digital camera was by Casio! Huh! That's a surprise!

Upvote 0
L

Lichtgestalt

a TFT panel is only part of the equation.

two monitors with the same panel can be very different in terms of the quality of the images they display... and of course in price.

there is much more to it then just buying a panel from samsung, sony or LG.

people who buy such a canon monitor know that.
people who think dell ultrasharp monitors are the top end.. well they usually don´t. ;)

Upvote 0