Canon Launches the Kokomo Solution

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, N.Y., January 4, 2023 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, will launch free early access1 to the Kokomo software in February 2023, showcasing Canon’s first application for a virtual reality (VR) platform2 that enables face-to-face communication in a virtual space with live-action video using easy-to-use equipment. Canon first announced the development of the

See full article...

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I couldn't find any additional information in the embedded links, but in terms of practicalities it would be great to know what the footnotes said, eg:

"The Kokomo application uses a compatible consumer VR headset(fn3) and compatible smartphone(fn4), allowing friends and family to experience being together, no matter where they are(fn5)."

If this is no more than a software solution, my experience of Canon-brand software over the years has been moderate only. My first reaction is that we seem to have entered bizzaro world ...

Upvote 0
Do you mean these?
\"† Based on wekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.

1 Early access. An attempt to collect feedback from users and reflect it in the service by opening the service to a limited number of users before its official release.

2 Meta’s (formerly Facebook’s) VR platform Distributed through “App Lab”; Meta’s “Meta Quest Store.” May be expanded to other platforms in the future.

3 Compatible with the Meta Quest 2 (formerly Oculus Quest 2) VR headset sold by Meta. Supported models may be expanded in the future.

4 Requires download of the Kokomo smartphone app from App Store for iOS and Google Play for Android; regions served as of February 2023 are the U.S. and Canada.

5 VR headset alone can also be used. However, some functions are limited, such as camera mode being unavailable.\"

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
One of the most unusual recent releases was that 5.2mm L dual fisheye VR lens that only works on the R5. This makes me wonder if there is some Connect the Dots type of plan down the road somewhere.
It also works with the R5 C and V-Raptor.
I assume that Canon has some more 8K cinema cameras in the works and I have no doubt that it will also work with the R1.

Upvote 0