Canon lays off at least 60 at Virginia, USA facility

lol, indeed.

As someone in that age group, it is a complete dick move. Much easier for a 30 something to find a new job than someone in their 50s or 60s. If it retirement age people (not in their 50s) and they give them an early retirement package, that's great. But dumping people who are older because they cost more (there's a reason for that) is awful. How many kids someone has is irrelevant. If they are truly doing this based on age, that is a huge lawsuit and I hope those people win.
There was no retirement package

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
That certainly should have gone at least to an EF 600 III to save you the extra couple pounds, Neuro. College educations pffft.

I do think that the international nature of this forum makes some of the comments land differently to different people. Most times in the US, people reaching retirement age isn't what it used to be, or like it is now elsewhere, where there is a time goal reached after which certain benefits kick in, else they're lost. Most people today in the US contribute to retirement plans that employers may add into as well, but the "retirement age" has less to do with a pension cutoff, and more to do with whether the federal social security system will consider you to be an early withdrawer, and penalize the benefit. But it's different in different industries, jobs, companies.
A big chunk of US taxpayers' paychecks goes to pay for eternal pensions and healthcare for our friends who pushed a pencil for the government. "Civil Servants" earn 60% of their salary plus medical coverage forever, beginning as young as age 57 years. Here in the USA, we don't have to look to the EU to see greener grass.

From a Canon customer point of view, having accumulated delicate, precision equipment over the years, of course I'm concerned about the quality, cost, and efficiency of repairs. I'm not claiming that other companies would be any better! But it will cause me to think harder when considering purchases.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0