Canon officially announced the RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 600mm f/4L IS USM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has officially announced the first professional super-telephoto lenses with the RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 600mm f/4L IS USM. Both of these lenses are pretty much identical to to their EF mount brothers.
Press Release:
The Canon RF400mm F2.8L IS USM and Canon RF600mm F4L IS USM are both designed to be optically identical to their EF counterparts. The RF400mm and RF600mm weigh in at 6.37 and 6.81 pounds with a minimum focusing distance of 8.2 and 13.8 feet, respectively. Both lenses share many of the same critical features that help professional high-end super-telephoto lenses stand out from the crowd. Those features include:

Ideal for a wide variety of shooting situations, including sports, aviation, trains, automotive, and wildlife, such as birding.
Optical Image...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Interesting. "Optically identical" to the EF 400 and 600 and actually weigh just a fraction more, despite Canon stating, "weight on these RF-series super-telephotos has been significantly reduced vs. previous-generation Canon super tele designs." Same price as EF too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Despite being a fan of this decision, it seems absurd to me that Canon decided to produce two lenses that are identical to the versions released in 2018, with no substantial difference.

It would have had more sense to develop a much needed updated version of the 500 f/4, IMHO.

I will wait to see, for the time being I'll keep my 300 II.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Interesting. "Optically identical" to the EF 400 and 600 and actually weigh just a fraction more, despite Canon stating, "weight on these RF-series super-telephotos has been significantly reduced vs. previous-generation Canon super tele designs." Same price as EF too.
The pictures do more or less look like the 600 F4 III with an RF mount attached. This is a relief - can stick with my 600 F4 II - which has the same if not slightly better resolution / optical quality than the newer lens. Can save my pennies for the R3 instead.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Rough dimenson comparison leads to same than EF lenses + RF adapter.
Internally they might differ, of course...

Canon RF 400mm F2.8L IS USM
163 x 367 mm
2.890 g
MFD 2,5 m

EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM
163 x 343 mm
2840 g
MFD 2,5 m

Canon RF 600mm F4L IS USM
168 x 472 mm
3.090 g
MFD 4,2 m

EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM
Ca. 168 x 448
3.050 g
MFD 4,2 m

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Despite being a fan of this decision, it seems absurd to me that Canon decided to produce two lenses that are identical to the versions released in 2018, with no substantial difference.

It would have had more sense to develop a much needed updated version of the 500 f/4, IMHO.
Look at it another way: considering it makes no financial sense to redesign the optics, making an RF 400mm f/2.8 with the same optical design as the EF is a low hanging fruit, why wait until the 500mm f/4 is redesigned?

Upvote 0
It seems logical to me what canon does. On the one hand they are discontinuing the EF lenses so it is logical that they replace them with the same or better lenses with an R mount. On the other hand Canon seems to be behind Sony. Sony already has 600 F4 and 400 2.8 and already has alpha 1, so Canon wants to avoid bleeding and says we will now have the same lenses and camera as the R3, equivalent or better to alpha 1.
Finally, there are always new buyers of a lens, who will want it with the new frame.
It is clear that it was Sony who promoted the change in technology

Upvote 0
I think it's a bad look to not even bother incorporating a control ring into it. I'm fine with the decision to re-use the optics, as they really didn't need updating, but it basically being a mount swap (and then making the whole extension silver looks awful) is a bad look. At least offer some mild exterior redesign, with the consistent mount end like every other RF lens, and add a control ring. Right now, this is less functional than the EF version with the control ring adapter.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...why wait until the 500mm f/4 is redesigned?
When the EF 600 III and 400 III came out, there were expectations that the 500 III would follow shortly. Never happened. I suspect that Canon had the lens already designed and then held back to concentrate on RF lenses. I also suspect that the RF 500 will simply be that EF 500 III in an RF mount just like these lenses.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I wonder if they will produce a 500mm lens again. Are there really enough people who want 500mm, because 400mm are too wide and 600mm are too narrow for them. 500mm would only be interestng for more people if there was a f/2.8 version, but that one would be very heavy. I expect the 200-500mm f/4 to be a good alternative to a 500mm prime.

Upvote 0